Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kaiser

Doom64 EX (Feedback build) Now at v1.1c

well i hope he decides to keep split screen multiplayer up cause i cant figure all that online crap out, im not used to the way doom plays online, cause i play my games online through gamespy arcade.

No controller support yet? Bugger, I cant play it yet.

This is the only Doom game Ive yet to play (Yay for tracking down Master Levels after five years) so this project is pretty exciting.

Is the bonus stuff added to Absolution getting added as an expansion at some point?

Kaiser, those textures that _sun_ made are pretty phenomenal. any chance you will upload a patch to apply the hi res textures he made?

if, you get the engine to accept the textures.

meanie50 said:

Kaiser, those textures that _sun_ made are pretty phenomenal. any chance you will upload a patch to apply the hi res textures he made?

if, you get the engine to accept the textures.

Yeah, its something that I would consider. However, the texture system is based on palettes, and some animation effects on textures relies on palettes so it may be a challenge to fully support them. Regardless, its on my todo list.

kaiser, it seems that the doom 64 ex 1.4 release on sourceforge doesnt support mousewheel weapon switching. i just figured out that you released version 1.4, and i got it to see the new features, and while i was making the controls the mousewheel didnt work.

also, on that custom level when youre on the automap it displays in the top left corner that ur playing on the staging area, and when you die, you start at the beginning of the staging area.

a few bugs.

Regardless of glitches or bugs, Doom 64 Ex is absolutely stunning. i can say no more. The multiplayer feature makes me drool all over my keyboard, as a kid i always wanted to pump a few plasma rounds into a friend or two.

First off, may I say, Great work on Doom 64 EX! I've been waiting for a more accurate depiction of Doom 64 on the PC!

Couple of questions: Any plans on fixing mouse accelleration? (Unless I'm the only one still accellerating with it set to 0)
And where may I still get a copy of Doom Builder64?

You can grab the builder in the utility's page, but WARNING kaiser has stopped supporting it, and its very unstable, node builder works every 10th time. as for mouse acceleration, that's kaisers area.

Stroggos said:

Are there any plans for a release of 1.5 anytime soon?

Whenever I have free time. There's been a lot going on and whatnot.

Its actually quite good in its current form, my brother and i play coop all the time, its a blast to race him to the end, that game brings back memorys.

Hey looking good so far!

Other than a couple of things already mentioned (mouse wheel support & fixing the mouse acceleration), I'd like to request some video fixes/features:

Vsync. I'm seeing some screen tearing both in window and fullscreen mode, which vsync should smooth it up quite nicely.

Also, it appears as though there is some off-scaling going on with the graphics. If I put the filter on point and set a direct scale resolution like 1280x960, I'm still seeing random scaling with the pixels. Basically, all pixels should be 4x4 if using a 1280x960 mode, but some appearing to be 3x4 in random spots on the screen.

Finally, there should be a config slot for Menu music. I had made a track for this, but discovered the config only allows for the title screen and not the menu screen as well.

Can we hope for a Linux port of this for 1.5? I see that all the API's are in place, it's just a matter of getting the VC6 code and GCC code to play nice :P

FirebrandX said:

Hey looking good so far!

Other than a couple of things already mentioned (mouse wheel support & fixing the mouse acceleration), I'd like to request some video fixes/features:

Vsync. I'm seeing some screen tearing both in window and fullscreen mode, which vsync should smooth it up quite nicely.

Also, it appears as though there is some off-scaling going on with the graphics. If I put the filter on point and set a direct scale resolution like 1280x960, I'm still seeing random scaling with the pixels. Basically, all pixels should be 4x4 if using a 1280x960 mode, but some appearing to be 3x4 in random spots on the screen.

Finally, there should be a config slot for Menu music. I had made a track for this, but discovered the config only allows for the title screen and not the menu screen as well.

The video stuff is going to take longer as I have little experience with hardware related features/issues. As for the config, there is a setting for the menu, which is labled as mus_title. This mus is played during the main menu screen that follows the intro.

Stroggos said:

GREAT to see some SVN Activity

Made some changes today and a few weeks back. Sorry about the slow progression. Life priorities comes first.

MP2E said:

Can we hope for a Linux port of this for 1.5? I see that all the API's are in place, it's just a matter of getting the VC6 code and GCC code to play nice :P

I don't know anything about programming for a unix platform nor do I know what needs to be done to get d64ex to compile. I've mentioned many times that this project welcomes anyone willing to contribute their support on getting d64ex to be playable on multiple platforms. So far since the release of 1.4, no one has ever once showed any interest.

To be honest, I am not an expert programmer. Nor will I ever will. I only know based on what I learn and what mistakes that I learn from. Right now this project needs at least one more person if d64ex were to run on the mac/unix platforms. I simply just don't have time to catch up on this stuff.

Kaiser said:

I don't know anything about programming for a unix platform nor do I know what needs to be done to get d64ex to compile. I've mentioned many times that this project welcomes anyone willing to contribute their support on getting d64ex to be playable on multiple platforms. So far since the release of 1.4, no one has ever once showed any interest.

To be honest, I am not an expert programmer. Nor will I ever will. I only know based on what I learn and what mistakes that I learn from. Right now this project needs at least one more person if d64ex were to run on the mac/unix platforms. I simply just don't have time to catch up on this stuff.

I am very interested in helping in any way I can, I'll be sure to hang out on IRC more, I know about compiling and stuff like that, but unfortunately my C knowledge is VERY rudimentary... To give you an example, I'm currently making an ASCII checkers game.. :| I'm learning, but I get really confused by all the compiler errors

I'm currently working on a way to compile Doom64 Ex with MinGW through Code::Blocks. At the moment I have only spent a few hours on it but I hope to finish it within the next few days. Although MinGW is a windows compiler it is based on GCC. Which to the normal doomer means that it should be able to compile using the original Unix GCC.

A few more hours in and I can already see you have used alot of Windows ONLY headers and functions. But i'm not going to change any of that because I'm just making it compile with GCC and not for Unix. Someone with a Unix OS can do that. When it come to version 1.5 I will think about asking Kaiser if it would be possible to become apart of the team. If he doesn't need any help thats okay. But i'm not sure that my skills are up to it... Yet.

Before I forget, i'm using the latest SVN code. I'll update tomorrow or tonight depending on what time I get up or go to sleep.

Okay just one new thing I have created a blog for the MinGW convertion here: http://gccdoom64ex.blogspot.com/

I have a request for Kaiser... Could you possibly upload the file usflib.lib or usflib.a because I am having some major trouble compiling it.

Hey, I found some bugs while playing this. I thought this would be as good a place as any to post them. I'm playing version 1.4.

In Final Outpost there's a curious rendering anomaly in the Plasma Rifle pillar room.

As you can see, the floors of some pillars are showing the sky. When a pillar is lowered it will look like this.

And for some reason, if a pillar is lowered in this room, the ceiling of the walkway in the exit room will display the sky.

Another lesser glitch is that on Level 13 no music plays in mp3/ogg mode. If there's any music playing before you enter the level (the menu music for example) it will continue playing that music.

U.O.D. said:

Hey, I found some bugs while playing this. I thought this would be as good a place as any to post them. I'm playing version 1.4.

Yeah, it happens on map01 as well. Its a rendering issue where somewhere in the code, I forgot to turn off a specific mode in opengl. I am currently looking into that as well as the music problem.

I have my SVN builds up and running!!! I have a project over at CodePlex, >>HERE<<. Most of the bugs in it are in the original D64EX, but since not all are don't bother Kaiser if your using my builds.

Stroggos said:

I have my SVN builds up and running!!! I have a project over at CodePlex, >>HERE<<. Most of the bugs in it are in the original D64EX, but since not all are don't bother Kaiser if your using my builds.

Hey, thanks for this. One step closer to a linux build, maybe I'll take a look at the sources and see if I can break any ground linux-wise(dunno, I'm still just barely in the C scene, no guarantees. We'll see)

Stroggos, there's no mouse support? What do you mean by that? The mouse doesn't function at all or not on linux builds?

But later I'll see if its okay to start merging your work with the one on the SVN so we won't have two separate builds.

Great, Email me when you want to get started. Also I was thinking what about importing mouse wheel support from Quake. I haven't tried it yet but it doesn't look that hard. If that fails I'll have a look at ZDoom

Also thanks for picking up that typo I meant mouse "wheel".

Stroggos said:

Great, Email me when you want to get started. Also I was thinking what about importing mouse wheel support from Quake. I haven't tried it yet but it doesn't look that hard. If that fails I'll have a look at ZDoom

Also thanks for picking up that typo I meant mouse "wheel".

I plan on looking into getting the mouse wheel support. I had it working at one point, but when I switched to SDL, that feature got broken again.