Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kaiser

Doom64 EX (Feedback build) Now at v1.1c

I was bored and wanted to take a break while coding D64EX so I made this!!!

I just brought out the original image and too the current D64Ex logo and croped it then added a drop shadow. Basically nothing special. But it looks cool.

Thats not the only cool thing. The latest SVN build had been released and you can get it >>HERE ONCE AGAIN<<. Thanks to Kaiser who added mouse wheel support for r-608!!! Gameplay has improved dramatically with this simple addition.

Stroggos said:

Kaiser just out of interest do you still want to merge our work together or not?

Yes I do, though we may want to wait until the weekends before we start the merge.

Flesh420 said:

Does everyone have no music with the latest build of EX or is it just me?

There is no music. This is because I couldn't get the USF Library to build. So i got rid of it. Anyway the music was really low quality.

Stroggos said:

There is no music. This is because I couldn't get the USF Library to build. So i got rid of it. Anyway the music was really low quality.

That's a bummer, because I was using OGG vorbis for the music with the older version, and it appears that wont work on this new release.

I am hoping to completely deprecate the USF system altogether and instead use either OGG/MP3 or preferably, .mod/.it tracks recreated from the ground up. I would prefer .mod because these can be easily ported to other platforms, especially the Nintendo DS which has no problem with modtrack music at all.

Stroggos said:

That would be interesting Doom64 EX DS?

I've thought about that a few times myself, but I think a Linux port needs to be put out there before you even consider a DS port :P

Kaiser said:

I am hoping to completely deprecate the USF system altogether and instead use either OGG/MP3 or preferably, .mod/.it tracks recreated from the ground up. I would prefer .mod because these can be easily ported to other platforms, especially the Nintendo DS which has no problem with modtrack music at all.

heh I'm just glad we finally convinced you to put in OGG/MP3 support with all the problems USF was causing.

Mike.Reiner said:

heh I'm just glad we finally convinced you to put in OGG/MP3 support with all the problems USF was causing.

That support is already in, if you haven't noticed. I hate having to use external files for music, but USF stays with Mp3/OGG being an alternative option. However I will deprecate USF once the modtrack music is completed, which depends on the contributions. The instruments are available, but I need some dedicated supporters to make this happen.

MP2E said:

I've thought about that a few times myself, but I think a Linux port needs to be put out there before you even consider a DS port :P

How about a PSP port instead? :P

PFL said:

Just wondering if there's any more progress on this little baby... :)

Progress is very slow due to work, life etc, but I haven't forgotten about it :P

One of the things that I've been putting a lot of attention on is rendering optimizations. There are still several bottleneck areas or 'hotspots' that would cause the framerate dip between 25~28 which are all GPU bound. Eye of the Storm, No Escape, Altar of Pain and Blood Keep are the most problematic levels so far. Though these optimizations are only targeted for very low end machines or machines with integrated video chipsets.

I've also been combing through the disassembly finding anything that I may have missed or anything thats different from the original Doom1/2 code. Aside from that, I've also been working on getting the -file parameter working and finding a solution for easier pwad loading. I been putting some attention on the multiplayer aspect like new options such as keep keys when respawned, friendly fire etc. I've been wanting to look into a completely new savegame system as the existing code is just a pain in the ass.

Lastly I want to update Wadgen so its smarter about reading little-endian or big-endian swapped roms. I also want to add in MD5 hashing so it knows which rom is authentic or not.

Sounds good! Especially the optimisation stuff. I have a Dell Mini 9 and would dearly love to play this on that wee beastie. :) Good luck!

Those WadGen enhancements sound excellent! It would be cool if WadGen could grab the music files and convert them somehow.

Anyway there us definitely work being done on D64Ex I want to update my builds but it's time consuming now that I'm in year 11. Hopefully you can grab the latest builds from my site fairly soon.

Good to hear that this is still being worked on. I'm certainly planning on making some maps once a more stable editing solution is available :D

Stroggos said:

It would be cool if WadGen could grab the music files and convert them somehow.

That would be nice if I knew the format. The music samples and sounds are in some modified AIFC format and the music banks are in some unknown n64 midi format. We can forget about that because I don't think a single person on this planet will know anything about that.

Mechadon said:

Good to hear that this is still being worked on. I'm certainly planning on making some maps once a more stable editing solution is available :D

That will depend on the editor. When the editor is released, I would like to discuss with others on how the workflow could be improved, especially with lighting.

Kaiser said:

That would be nice if I knew the format. The music samples and sounds are in some modified AIFC format and the music banks are in some unknown n64 midi format. We can forget about that because I don't think a single person on this planet will know anything about that.

It's quite simple. an alternative would be to convert the music samples to mp3 (or another format if you're more comfortable with that) and let a tracker musician recreate the songs for you!

If the musician is good enough, the difference between the original and the recreated songs should be minimal, no?

everett1911 said:

It's quite simple. an alternative would be to convert the music samples to mp3 (or another format if you're more comfortable with that) and let a tracker musician recreate the songs for you!

If the musician is good enough, the difference between the original and the recreated songs should be minimal, no?

I already got the samples and yes I've already asked for someone with modtrack experience to make the music a long time ago, but as you can see I am still waiting on someone to volunteer.

Kaiser said:

I already got the samples and yes I've already asked for someone with modtrack experience to make the music a long time ago, but as you can see I am still waiting on someone to volunteer.

Personally, I'd volunteer, but I don't have enough confidence in my skills yet.

I've been using madtracker since 2006, and I'm making songs, but I don't feel they're good enough.

soundcloud.com/sammyfox here, if you are curious (or just want to give your opinion)