Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Haloless0320

Strategy Game Preferences

Sitting here at work and bored so I decided to start a thread.

Whats everyones tastes in Strategy games?Turn Based,Real time?Maybe a combination of the 2?

So far my favs are:Total War series,Empire Earth,Civilization series,Seven Kingdoms(The Original),Empire at War,Supreme Commander,and Starcraft,Battle for Middle Earth and Mech Commander(I think It's strat)

Gimme some feedback...

Strategy games are my favorite genre of games. Though not RTSs...those just end up annoying me. Anyway.

Total War - I love this series, especially Rome. I haven't yet played Medieval II because I'm not sure if my graphics card can handle it, but it looks to have most of the same gamplay features as Rome. Anyway, I just love the turn-based building-up phase mixed with the real-time battles (and unlike in RTSs where you have to build units as fast as possible, you just start the battle with all the units there) which are pretty realistic.

Civilization - One of my original favorite games, been in love with the series since it came out. Civ 4 is probably the best of the series, especially with the Beyond the Sword expansion. There are so many cool little gameplay features in it. But yeah, it's pretty much the archetypical turn-based strategy game.

RTS's have got to be, uh, RT, for me. No turn-based wargames... especially not with "you can only move this far in a turn"-style BS which just artificially extends games and (is supposed) to make you think you havent been RIPPED OFF (though i only paid £5 for a pack of 8 of them they couldnt shift any other way anyway).

I do like turn-based RPG fights ala Final Fantasy though, they keep making "moves towards" real-time battles in the FF series, to please idiots. But then the FF series turned shit after 7 anyway so i hope they enjoy it, it'll stop them dribbling on the streets.

Danarchy:Medieval 2 is a great game.Even though I do enjoy the original Medieval,I like how they put the Rome style gameplay into the new one.I recommend buying it,I started playing Civilization a while back.It took me a while to get into the gameplay but now it's among my top favorites.You should try out the Fallout mod for Civ 3 if you havent already.

Deathbringer:Thats the weird thing,I've never been a fan of the FF series,I'm more of a "Tales of" fan.

Spacebar is your friend. ;)

I like the Advance War series for GBA/DS. I can't say I'm very good at them, though - I've put off beating Days of Ruin for months because they fixed most of the AI stupidities, so you can't rely on exploiting quirks as much to win.

I still really enjoy Age o Empires 2: The Conquerer. At the same time I also have a space in my mind reserved for Command and Conquer: Red Alert. That game really set me into the RTS genre and I could always play it without getting bored.

On a seperate note, does Heroes of Might and Magic 3 fit into the strategy category? ( I nevere was too sure)

I like Advance Wars for GBA

That was another one I really enjoyed. It forced you think carefully about which troops you needed to get depending on your scenario, and the various specials you could use with the characters made it all the more better for me.

Haloless0320 said:

Isnt Heroes of Might and Magic a strat/rpg?

That was kind of what I thought. You run around a map with a hero who gains levels, only he doesn't actually fight in the game. You work the rest of the time taking over mines, finding resources, and building up your castle/armies.

If it counts, I'll slide that one up there too, since I am addicted to the HMM3 expansion, Armageddon's Blade

Haloless0320 said:

Is that worth a buy?I keep seeing it and I'm tempted to get it but i'm kinda iffy about it.I think it's cause I'm a little enthralled with Rome:Barbarian Invasion.

Think of it as a spiritual successor to Total Annihilation, if you're familiar with that.

RTS: StarCraft is the only game I've ever really liked in this sense.
TBS: I have the first two Fire Emblem games released in the US(technically 7th and 8th in the series). They're both pretty good in the strategy department, especially with the simple-yet-daunting rock-paper-scissors style weapon layout.

Kirby said:

That was kind of what I thought. You run around a map with a hero who gains levels, only he doesn't actually fight in the game. You work the rest of the time taking over mines, finding resources, and building up your castle/armies.

If it counts, I'll slide that one up there too, since I am addicted to the HMM3 expansion, Armageddon's Blade

I second, except with HMM3 Complete, Restoration, Armageddon's and Shadow of Death all in one.

I'd also bring in Warcraft 3, Black and White.

deathbringer said:

But then the FF series turned shit after 7 anyway so i hope they enjoy it, it'll stop them dribbling on the streets.

What the heck man, 8 is awesome. So is 10.

Tango said:

8 is good if you have a book to read during the unskippable GF (gay faggots amirite?) cut-scenes that the game has you use like once every 5 minutes from start to finish.

oh wait but u can tap the button relly fast to increas damage that totaly cancles the lameness what *******!

Anyway, I think the closest things I've played to what's being discussed here are FF Tactics, Kartia, and Suikoden, all of which I dug.

edit:

Wow, what's the story behind misspelling genius being censored?

Most stuff with more emphasis on economy, or simply economy-based strategy games. AoK is still the best RTS out there, all it lacks is a little more sophisticated controls.

Tango said:

8, yes. 10, no. Oh, and thanks, Richo. Forgot about FF Tactics.

Richo Rosai said:

8 is good if you have a book to read during the unskippable GF (gay faggots amirite?) cut-scenes that the game has you use like once every 5 minutes from start to finish.

Junction enough (and the right) magic and you won't even have to summon GFs. And yeah Boost is kind of lame but like I said it's not that hard to get to where you don't need to use GFs.

Jim: What :( 8 is better than 10 I think but 10 is still one of my favorite games.

Tango said:

Junction enough (and the right) magic and you won't even have to summon GFs. And yeah Boost is kind of lame but like I said it's not that hard to get to where you don't need to use GFs.

Jim: What :( 8 is better than 10 I think but 10 is still one of my favorite games.

10 sucks. A whiny child with a temper for a protagonist, a story ridden with failure, and a complete sense of boringness, enough to make one vomit.

EDIT: Heh, broken english? Fixed.

Tango said:

Junction enough (and the right) magic and you won't even have to summon GFs.

Yeah, I agree it's much more fun that way. That's why I said "has you use" and not "forces you to use". Maybe I'm dumb but most of my first time through it just seemed like the game was telling me to and giving me plenty of reasons to rely primarily on them.

As for FFX, it was interesting but nothing special, and just too insanely hard in a few places (some kind of Chocobo race and that damned lightning dodge bullshit, for which I actually build a light-sensing "robot" to win for me). FFX is the only PS2 game I've ever played, because my PS2 broke soon after I finished it. What Japanese cynical consumers call the Sony Timer must have been set wrong in mine.

I like Starcraft for having space marines, like Doom.

I find strategy games much, much harder than ones where you control one person or group.

printz said:

I find strategy games much, much harder than ones where you control one person or group.

So, Commandos is easy?

I like it in real-time, and I also enjoy the base building and resource gathering aspects. I really don't like how some people keep saying that the World in Conflict or Company of Heroes formulas should be the new universal RTS standard.

I also don't like too much emphasis on micro-management like unit abilities. Blizzard are often guilty of this, and they seriously went overboard with Warcraft 3. Felt more like I was playing a watered down Diablo than an RTS.

For RPGs, I couldn't bring myself to enjoy Final Fantasy and the likes after experiencing Fallout and Baldur's Gate. The mechanics just feel stiff, simplified and "Baby's first RPG" in comparison. And you just know something has to be very wrong when some of these games add an "auto-attack" option for the hordes of random encounters.

I don't care for strategy video games but I did like Dungeon Keeper.

WarCraft II, Age of Empires 2 with Conquerors expansion, Heroes of Might and Magic II, Homeworld 2...

Pretty much anything ending in a 2 really.

I would play the classics Dune II, HOMAM, Warcraft and Warcraft II again and again anyday. I also had a soft spot for Warlords Battelcry II and III for a period, mostly due to their resembling a beefed-up version of Warcraft II.

Other than that, Jodwin drags me in unhealthy habits like Wesnoth or Cabal from time to time.

It's suprising how none mentioned the Doom RTS yet though....

Oh yeah, I forgot about Heroes of Might and Magic 3 and Dungeon Keeper. Those are some old classics. Final Fantasy: Tactics Advance is pretty fun too. Advance Wars is kind of fun, but it was seriously hard. I don't think I got more than 7 levels into it.

deathbringer said:

RTS's have got to be, uh, RT, for me. No turn-based wargames... especially not with "you can only move this far in a turn"-style BS which just artificially extends games and (is supposed) to make you think you havent been RIPPED OFF (though i only paid £5 for a pack of 8 of them they couldnt shift any other way anyway).

I do like turn-based RPG fights ala Final Fantasy though, they keep making "moves towards" real-time battles in the FF series, to please idiots. But then the FF series turned shit after 7 anyway so i hope they enjoy it, it'll stop them dribbling on the streets.

What the fuck?