Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bucket

Hellboy II

This just in: Hellboy II is medicore.

Sets, props and costumes are the only thing about this movie that could be considered "inspired"; you might as well go see the movie just for them. Dubbed characters often give better performances than real actors. Editing is weird sometimes and takes you out of the action. Dialogue wasn't really written for the characters. Some jokes are deliberately cheesy. See, cheesy lines work because they break tempo in an otherwise gripping or clever story-- but since this movie is neither of those, it further degrades the whole product.

The entire thing feels like the movie Labyrinth mashed up against the movie Spiderman, like trying to splice a biscuit and a muffin to make a new breed of pastry. Except physics doesn't work that way, so you end up with crumbs falling off and you have to get the vacuum and snack time is ruined.

Hellboy II ruins snack time. Be warned.

I would never have watched either of them it to begin with based on the title and picture of the (presumable) protagonist alone.

I didn't think the first was bad, just nothing particularly noteworthy. I don't feel like I wasted any time watching it, but I don't feel like watching it again either. I guess that's a good summary of my idea of 'mediocre'.

If the second one's similar, then I'll probably see if it somebody offers, otherwise I'll pass.

Actually I really enjoyed the movie. It was very fun, the characters from before were nice and the new characters were great too. The German was especially amusing. The movie was surprisingly funny, with some real laughs that did not feel particular forced.

I'd say see it, it's very competent even if you haven't seen the first.

Although that reminds me, I heard the first one had an unrated extended cut, I'd like to see that sometime.

It's a summer action movie, and as a summer action movie it's pretty good. I liked it much more than the first movie. What I found funny, though, was (even from watching the trailers) it looked like a Shadowrun campaign that had some Hellboy characters thrown into it.

Disclaimer: I saw it for free with a preview pass. Not sure how paying for it would have affected my opinion.

I liked it better than the first one. This one is more of a fantasy movie, which seems like Del Toro's preferred genre. I would watch it again sometime to admire all the weird creatures (you'll know the part when you see it). That angel/demon thing toward the end was 110% Del Toro (it's shown briefly in the trailers I think). If you liked the first one I don't think you can go wrong seeing this one, although it's still nothing more than a summer action movie as Coopersville pointed out.

Just saw it. I agree its a summer action flick most deffienetly. Some parts were funny as well. All in all it was a fun watch.

I saw it last night. Very awesome. I have to admit, I wasn't expecting the whole typical fantasy angle to the story (I didn't see any trailers beforehand), but it worked well. I also liked how they gave Abe Sapien a bigger role in this one, and the new character voiced by Seth McFarlane was pretty sweet too. The art direction was obviously done by the same people as Pan's Labyrinth, but in this movie there were 100x more chances to use it, with so many different weird creatures in the movie (I loved the troll market scene). I'm really starting to become a fan of Del Torro.

Anyway, this movie has got me hoping for a sequel. Also, I really need to check out the comic some day.

Lüt said:

Although that reminds me, I heard the first one had an unrated extended cut, I'd like to see that sometime.

The extended version expands some scenes and gives them better grounding, but don't expect to see anything you didn't see in the theater.

***SPOILER***
Here's my #1 peeve about Hellboy II. Halfway through the film, Hellboy confronts Prince Nuada(?) in one-on-one combat. The prince is able to kick his ass five ways to Sunday-- for some reason I can't fathom. Shouldn't Hellboy be invincible or something? That's the impression I got from the first film, anyway. (He survived multiple depth charge blasts from inside the guts of a massive Chthulhu-type monster, for Christ's sake.)

Naturally, the two face off again for the final battle. NOW Hellboy is more than capable of holding his own, even landing a few hits whereas before he couldn't even touch the guy. Am I supposed to believe the Powar Of Daddyhood has a leveling-up effect on him?!? This is where my brain refused to suspend disbelief for the rest of the movie.

I have to agree with Lut on Hellboy one. But I am a comic buff, and I make it my business to watch them as they come. (Well, I never did watch Elektra, but after Daredevil who can blame me really? Besides, I don't even like Jennifer Garner a little bit)

@Bucket:

(Spoilers)

Well I figured Nuada's spear was magical or something (I mean, it regenerated its tip), so that's how he got hurt. Also, he got distracted, and that's how the attack slipped in. In the final battle, he didn't have such distractions and probably learned his lesson from the last time. It was just him vs. Nuada fighting it out on their private battlefield (albiet one full of cogs).

Mancubus II said:

Pans Labyrinth was actually good though.My Ex forced me to watch Labyrinth.And through that whole song he was doing that whole pelvic thrust thing and I realized the true meaning of the movie...David Bowie's package is in control of your tv set.

exp(x) said:

Even straight men can appreciate David Bowie's junk.

No...just stop,I for one don't appreciate someone's package all in my face.That's why I gave that movie a hearty "Fuck off" and went back to dooming even though it pissed my ex off.*shrugs*

Hey, Labyrinth happens to be one of my all-time favorite movies. :( And I never noticed David Bowie's junk until someone pointed it out to me, so I have to wonder about the people obsessed with that. It has Jeniffer Connelly in it too. <3

Danarchy said:

Hey, Labyrinth happens to be one of my all-time favorite movies. :( And I never noticed David Bowie's junk until someone pointed it out to me, so I have to wonder about the people obsessed with that. It has Jeniffer Connelly in it too. <3

Yeah well my friend is the one who made me realize it,and wasnt jennifer connelly in dark water?

kristus said:

I have to agree with Lut on Hellboy one.

Smart man.

haloless0320 said:

and wasnt jennifer connelly in dark water?

Her best "Dark" movie was "City", but then that's really the only thing I've ever seen her in.

Lüt said:

Her best "Dark" movie was "City", but then that's really the only thing I've ever seen her in.

Also, Requiem for a Dream. I think what made me cry the most over that movie were the bad things that happened to her. :(