Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
dsm

RtCW feature I'd like to see in "Doom 3"

Ok I'll risk it and start a new topic:

Playing Return to Castle Wolfenstein a lot, I've grown quite fond of the 'peek' option. Having this option in the new Doom wouldn't hurt..., or would it?

I imagine sneaking through the darkened corridors, and suddenly hear munching sounds, I peek around a corner and basically see "the bathroom scene" i.e. the bathroom with "pinkie" munching on the dead "janitor".

Since there is going to be such a "living, breathing" gameworld, with events like the abovementioned it'd be quite possible that they included this option.

Just a thought.

Regards
a newly signed up newbie

I'm all for it. Lean's not a stupid feature, but a simple yet effective move. Most people think you'll be able to peek around corners and shoot the demons with rifles before they even see it.

That's entirely wrong, since no one says you'll be able to shoot while leaning, and no one says the demons won't see you or that they'll be fooling around in bright enough areas for you to see them. There's nothing like peeking around a corner because of that weird sounds of munching you're hearing occasionaly and realize is already aware of you and just 1 meter from your neck, growling.

Heh, people complain that you can't shoot while leaning in RtCW, but I agree with you Zaldron. Pointing a gun around a corner will almost certainly give your position away if someone is looking in your direction, so of course shooting while leaning STILL shouldn't be possible in Doom 3.

DOH! I forgot to log out last time I left this place! SHAME ON YOU DSM!

That lean feature is also usefull to listen in on convorsations in RTCW. But i cant imagine too many zombies will be chatting to one anoter in DOOM :)

But it would be cool to look around corners to see Demons chewing on the Janitor's and so on.

I dont think you should be able to shoot while leaning - that would turn DOOM into some kind of sniper fest - where you sneak around slowly 'peaking' then killing. -- Ofcourse this wouldnt be a problem when you on the defencive, only when your attacking...

Most creatures are supposed to be waiting you, so peeking around a corner or just walking down will end with the same result : the creature will jump at you screaming and waving ferocious claws.

Sniping is not possible since the first bullet's likely to not kill the creature unless it's mid ranged in terms of power and you hit a certain critical area. Wich you can do too in the middle of combat, mind you.

Shooting and leaning? I don't have a problem with that. It's likely that we won't see shit anyway, the game's dark enough.

That lean feature is also usefull to listen in on convorsations in RTCW. But i cant imagine too many zombies will be chatting to one anoter in DOOM :)

Nah, I don't think we'll hear much conversation from these chumps either.

Good point, when i think about it, its so dark you wont exaclty be able to see down the whole coridoor.

Anyway i think when shooting and leaning (if it's included) that you should be wobbling a bit and un-accurate maybe - then you have a choice.

1. Lean around the corner - disguised but un-accurate

2. Walk around the corner - out in the open but an accurate shot.

at the end of the day i dont think it's too important as a feature - but could be effective if the game is designed with this in mind.

I'm really hoping the zombies walk around rather clumsy, ranting about their past life to themselves, ocassionaly shooting at something that beeps or moves.

Hearing the insane is far more terrifying than silence.

I'm really hoping the zombies walk around rather clumsy, ranting about their past life to themselves, ocassionaly shooting at something that beeps or moves.

Only if the game has "real" zombs IMHO.

When I think of a zombie I get the picture of a walking corpse, too stupid to use even sticks as weapons (so how would they be able to use pistols/shotguns/chainguns?).

When I think of Doom's "former humans" I imagine dead marines, who've been "resurrected" (by Archviles?) and imbued with an evil spirit. These "former marines" remember combat tactics and how to operate machinery, but every trace of emotion has been removed, and they are still too mindless to really think up a strategy (other than the standard troop tactics that every infantryman gets trained in).

But in case this "evil spirit" possessing their bodies mutate the bodies (I've seen two types of "former humans" in screenshots from Doom 3), so that we have "former" marines turn in to actual zombs (the total brainless type), then I would agree.

Yeah that's the kind of zombies I'm talking about. I preffer the term "possessed" for those who have their faculties untouched but lacking human emotions.

If those are present in the game, they'll probe to be the nastiest enemies in the low spectrum, possibly mini-bosses for the first areas of the game.

Has anyone here seen the original 'Heavy Metal'? In it was a short called 'B-17' where this guy was fighting zombie-like creatures in a WWII bomber. I think that those were some of the creepiest zombies I've ever seen.

Yeah that's the kind of zombies I'm talking about. I preffer the term "possessed" for those who have their faculties untouched but lacking human emotions.

If those are present in the game, they'll probe to be the nastiest enemies in the low spectrum, possibly mini-bosses for the first areas of the game.

A year ago I would've considered putting such "brainless-undead" zombs in Doom 3 sacriledge ("there wasn't any of those in the old Doom" would've been my "excuse"). Now I wonder what the Hell I was thinking :-). Actual zombies should defenitely be in "Doom 3", I think we'll get 'em (there's one in the Macworld video!)

From what I've seen comparing the Macworld video and the "illegal" German screenshots it seems as if the "former humans" have several stages of mutation:

1. They start out as "the regular guys with a bad attitude", looking human (like in the "non-id-approved" screenshot).

2. Later they'll mutate into "skull-face"-soldiers (Macworld video)

3. Ultimately they'll turn into rotten zombies (Macworld video - the zombie-thing that "awakes" and gets up)

3. Ultimately they'll turn into rotten zombies (Macworld video - the zombie-thing that "awakes" and gets up)

More like they rot to that state.

More like they rot to that state.

Ok, that was basically what I meant (should've said it that way).