Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MmM

Vacillator

Vacillator

"One who hesitates (usually out of fear)."

- Definition of "vacillator".
The Free Dictionary.Com

One of the five infamous Phlebiac Brothers (Violator, Vindicator, Vaporizer, and Vandalizer are his four siblings), employed by the nefarious arch-fiend, Malebolgia, and a villain character in the Spawn comic book universe. While the quintet, based in the eighth-sphere of Hell, are effective when they work together as a team, the Phlebiacs are just as likely to plot against one another in order to further their own schemes or to gain favor in the eyes of their Master. Vacillator's day-to-day activities largely consist of tormenting damned human souls, but, on occasion, he, or one of his brothers, is given the important task of traveling to the mortal plane and grooming a specially-selected man or woman (who have generally made some kind of pact with the Dark Lord in exchange for their eternal servitude) to become a general in Malebolgia's unholy army, the prestigious rank of Hellspawn. In practice, this "training" amounts to near-constant harassment (physical beatings, psychological games, the murder/torture of loved ones, etc.). The intent of this program is to confuse, terrify, and enrage the pupil into performing actions that will march them, step-by-step, down a black path that terminates in unredeemable damnation, a state perfectly suited to the profession of Hellspawn. While his namesake would seem to imply that Vacillator is a demon who is cowardly and/or indecisive, his actual behavior does not appear to reflect this (perhaps, the Phlebiac's creator, Todd McFarlane, was just looking for interesting names that started with the letter 'v'). The full extent of Vacillator's powers are unknown, but they likely include superhuman strength, teleportation, shape-shifting, and various other magical feats. In Capcom's Spawn: In The Demon's Hand video game, the Phlebiacs each favor a particular element for offensive purposes; Vacillator uses ice-based attacks.

Materials:
Newsprint, Kleenex, white/hot glue, wire twist ties, nail polish, and acrylic paint.

Dimensions*:
(* The maximum height/width of this figure can vary considerably depending on how the joints are positioned. The numbers given are for Vacillator standing straight, at his maximum height, arms at his sides, and with the jaw fully open.)
16.0 cm/6.3 in. x 5.7 cm/2.2 in. (highest point x widest point)

Articulation:
Twenty points: Jaw, neck, shoulders (2), elbows (4), wrists (2), mid-torso, waist, hips (2), knees (4), and ankles (2).

Time:
One week; July 6-12, 2008.

For comparison purposes, below is (1) the Spawn: In The Demon's Hand Vacillator polygon video game model and (2) comic book artwork of Vacillator.

Are you planning to make the other Phlebiacs that didn't get action figures?

I'm not terribly familiar with the Spawn universe, but I remember other guys similar to Violator and his brothers, like Vertebreaker, so I was never sure exactly how many of them there were. Did they add new Phlebiac brothers to the mix at some point?

Impie: I don't have any immediate plans to make any more of the Phlebiacs, but I may do so at some point in the future.

The only “canon” Phlebiacs, as far as the comic book universe is concerned, are Violator, Vacillator, Vindicator, Vandalizer, and Vaporizer. Only Violator and Vandalizer ever got the proper toy treatment out of the five (that said, McFarlane Toys recently released a Collector’s Club exclusive 5-pack of the Phlebiacs, done in the animated style, but these barely resemble the comic book versions, and, my impression is that the majority of Spawn.com members despise them. They're kinda cute/neat, but they really are way off in design when compared to the original concepts).

Now, early on, McFarlane Toys muddied the Phlebiac waters a bit with the Spawn toy line, as it includes at least two non-canon Phlebiacs, Vertebreaker (Series 3) and Scourge (Series 7). I own no less that four copies of the Vertebreaker figure (two mint-on-card and two opened—I don’t even like this figure all that much, but I kept getting them as extras in Spawn figure lots I won on eBay) and both versions of Scourge as well (bone-colored original and black redeco/repaint, one MOC, one loose).

You seem to know your stuff. And with all these projects of yours you must be something of a toy collector. That used to be my hobby but I cleared out most of my stuff years ago and switched to vintage video games (I tend to get more use out of them anyway). The Movie Maniacs series was one of my favorites.

Keep up the good work all the same!

I was thinking about your question again yesterday, and I seem to recall the Clown, in the live action Spawn movie, mentioning a "Victimizer" when he was name-dropping Phlebiacs, just before he transformed into the Violator. So, there's another non-canon Phlebiac for you, assuming that memory isn't a figment of my imagination.

McFarlane Toys figures make up the bulk of my toy collection. I also collect games, like yourself, and it's often a hard choice to make when it comes down to getting a game or a figure. I know I'll get a lot more entertainment out of the game, even it sucks, simply because a game is interactive, but, it's hard for me to say 'no' to little plastic men/beasties too.

A lot of the members over at Spawn.com lament the end of the Movie Maniacs line and often petition for McFarlane to bring it back. NECA and SOTA make a lot of good horror figures to fill McFarlane's vaccuum though.

Awesome as usual MmM. I met his cousin in the game HeXen..

they really should make another spawn movie but not a sequel, a remake like they did with the HULK.

MmM said:

I was thinking about your question again yesterday, and I seem to recall the Clown, in the live action Spawn movie, mentioning a "Victimizer" when he was name-dropping Phlebiacs, just before he transformed into the Violator. So, there's another non-canon Phlebiac for you, assuming that memory isn't a figment of my imagination.

You remembered right. I brought it up in the first place because some time ago I found an illustrated list of nine Phlebiacs online and Victimizer was one of them, so I figured he was one of four newbies added after #100.

Yeah, there's been talk of a new Spawn movie for many years now. It's anybody's guess if it'll ever happen. The first one wasn't too bad, but it wasn't anything amazing either. I know Todd said he'd want to do the Spawn story over, from a new perspective, not a sequel.

I believe one of McFarlane's goals with the recent animated style toy series was to try to get another Spawn cartoon going. The premise is really watered down though, Spawn isn't dead, the whole hell thing is whitewashed over, etc. That's okay for kiddies I guess, but it ticks adult fans off.

I always thought the Chaos Serpents might be Violator rip-offs too. It's probably just a coincidence. I actually sculpted a Chaos Serpent once, a clay/paper hybrid, but it was too heavy to support its own weight. Unfortunately, I never took pictures--this was many years ago.