Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lazygecko

E3 Rage pics

The woman's face is very realistic, and all the people in the pictures really seem to pop out to the foreground.

what type of game is rage, anyways? i havent done any research on it....

Butts said:

what type of game is rage, anyways? i havent done any research on it....

It's Mad Max/Doom 3 from what I gather.

C'mon id, where's my Super Strogg Kart?

I don't really understand id's marketing on this. the hype is there but it's struggling. I've yet to grasp what exactly the game is about in the first place. something about driving, megatexturing, idtech5, licensing, etc. but I can't tell for sure.

From the sparse hype I've seen, the flavor of the game seems fairly interesting. Post-apocalyptic with at least some splashes of Asian culture. Outdoor areas are usually a plus. But what really intrigues me is the plot. I heard there was some sort of virus that decimated humanity. Especially their HAIR.

Shaikoten said:

From the sparse hype I've seen, the flavor of the game seems fairly interesting. Post-apocalyptic with at least some splashes of Asian culture. Outdoor areas are usually a plus. But what really intrigues me is the plot. I heard there was some sort of virus that decimated humanity. Especially their HAIR.

Maybe the virus is their hair, and if they allow it to grow it kills them so they constantly shave it off.

Those screenshots seriously look like something from a cutscene. If that's real gameplay, then that's actually impressive.

Not that I'm actually interested enough to want to buy it yet. I need to know what the fuck it's about first aside from "post apocalyptic something with some sort of gameplay".

GreyGhost said:

Paging leileilol - big rack alert! Can anyone confirm this isn't Fallout 3?

well of course it isn't because everyone doesn't look canned and generated from seperately licensed middleware.

Looking at this I'm starting to believe it's once again possible to create a shooter with colors. Rage looks cartoonish in the best possible way. Sort of like how Doom looked back in 93. Doom 4 better have a visual style that's closer to the original Doom. This engine supports it.

Nice pics but I see nothing in them to say that the game is any good (nor, to be fair, that it isn't). We had an assload of "Ooooh aren't we able to produce pretty game characters" shots like these for Doom3 and that, IMO, turned out to be a mediocre game.

What's more, I have to say that the look of the diseased guys is very "yawn, standard, stereotypical, unimaginative id fare".

Danarchy said:
I need to know what the fuck it's about first aside from "post apocalyptic something with some sort of gameplay".

Mad Max with zombies :p

The artwork looks reminiscent of popular science fiction painting.

It's an id game, that's all it needs to be for me to get it.

And just when I thought I had a good enough computer to run modern games too :(

"THE COMET STRUCK THE PLANET WITHOUT WARNING.. WE LOST OUR PARADISE IN A SINGLE VIOLENT STROKE."

"THE VIRUS SWEPT THROUGH THE LAND AND KILLED MILLIONS.. THEY TURNED OUT TO BE THE LUCKY ONES.."

"FOR THOSE WHO DID NOT DIE BECAME MUTATIONS OF HUMANITY.. SOME BECAME FANATICS WHO HEARD THE VOICE INSIDE THEIR HEAD, AND CALLED THEMSELVES... THE ORDER"

"THOSE WHO WERE DEAF TO THIS VOICE SUFFERED HORRIBLY. SOME BECAME THEIR SLAVES AND FORCED TO BUILD WEAPONS MORE POWERFUL THAN WE COULD MUSTER"

"THEY DESTROYED OUR WOMAN AND CHILDREN. SO WE MUST HIDE THEM UNDERGROUND AND LIVE LIKE ANIMALS IN CONSTANT FEAR FOR OUR LIVES"

"BUT THERE ARE WHISPERS OF DISCONTENT. IF SO CAN WE DEFEAT OUR MASTERS? WEAPONS ARE BEING STOLEN, SOLIDERS ARE BEING TRAINED. A MOVEMENT IS BORN. BORN OF LIFE LONG STRIFE!"

Kaiser said:

probably the goddamn rage plot

Kaiser wins the thread

Wow. If this is what the game turns out to be I will be sorely disappointed. Not in terms of story, but "hey I know where the plot is going without even finishing it". It's like watching a "film noir". the term itself usually reveals the plot and in some cases, the ending. I don't want to play another "strife", as fun as that might be. I want something new for once!

Kaiser said:

"A MOVEMENT IS BORN. BORN OF LIFE LONG ROAD gaRAGE!"

Fixed.

I've thought ever since the first piece of media, it's been feeling like they're fans of Firefly. And I am reacting very positively to the whole thing. And I love the idea of pimping my ride, driving around killing stuff in a Mad max kind of fashion.

BTW, A game that featured great hair.. fur, was Shadow of the Colossus.

kristus said:

I've thought ever since the first piece of media, it's been feeling like they're fans of Firefly. And I am reacting very positively to the whole thing. And I love the idea of pimping my ride, driving around killing stuff in a Mad max kind of fashion.

I am a fan of both Firefly and Mad Max 1&2 so if they managed to capture some of that feel then it might be something I'd enjoy. I guess it's just the driving aspect that really doesn't appeal to me. Funny, I've been driving for 25 years, including race driving and special stage rallying, but I managed to total my car on the first corner when playing Nascar2007 on the PS3 yesterday. Driving games and I just don't get on with each other. :/

I don't mind driving as long as it's not something forced like in HL2 or, even worse, Quake4. Those vehicle parts of Quake4 were a pain. The vehicles in Far Cry worked perfectly, though. If the cars in Rage are integrated properly, I'm sure I'll love it :) So far the graphics are jaw-dropping. I'm so much more impressed now than in their initial presentation.

Enjay said:

I managed to total my car on the first corner when playing Nascar2007 on the PS3 yesterday. Driving games and I just don't get on with each other. :/

But that's Nascar, car driving simulator. They are always tuned to behave like a real car. But w/o any of the force feedback you get in a real car. The whole experience is lost. Id has made it clear many times over that they're not interested in simulations, since Reality doesn't traverse well over to games.

I can't drive those sims worth a damn either. But I can drive (and thorougly appreciate) racing games like Rollcage and Big red racing, where realism is something left in the dust.

EDIT: Shaviro mentioned Quake IV as a bad example here. And I can really agree that it was a major fail. It wasn't behaving like a real vehicle, and it wasn't behaving like a game vehicle either. The whole experience was terrible. But id said they hired people knowing their shit when it comes to in game vehicles. So I am remaining cautiously optimistic.
Speaking of Quake, there's a fair share of vehicles in ETQW. And I think they did pretty well in implementing them. They're not perfect I suppose. But they work well with the game and I love driving around doing handbrake turns with the Hog. ;), and the vids I've seen of Rage look promising in fixing the most glaring flaws of the ETQW vehicles behavior. (which IMO is mostly related to how they react to outside trauma, like crashing)

kristus said:
Id has made it clear many times over that they're not interested in simulations, since Reality doesn't traverse well over to games.

Could be... see here under the questions, "What do you think of the actual driving in FPS games generally? There was quite a lot in Half-Life 2 but where are you going to take it?"

Kaiser said:

"THE COMET STRUCK THE PLANET WITHOUT WARNING.. WE LOST OUR PARADISE IN A SINGLE VIOLENT STROKE."

"THE VIRUS SWEPT THROUGH THE LAND AND KILLED MILLIONS.. THEY TURNED OUT TO BE THE LUCKY ONES.."

"FOR THOSE WHO DID NOT DIE BECAME MUTATIONS OF HUMANITY.. SOME BECAME FANATICS WHO HEARD THE VOICE INSIDE THEIR HEAD, AND CALLED THEMSELVES... THE ORDER"

"THOSE WHO WERE DEAF TO THIS VOICE SUFFERED HORRIBLY. SOME BECAME THEIR SLAVES AND FORCED TO BUILD WEAPONS MORE POWERFUL THAN WE COULD MUSTER"

"THEY DESTROYED OUR WOMAN AND CHILDREN. SO WE MUST HIDE THEM UNDERGROUND AND LIVE LIKE ANIMALS IN CONSTANT FEAR FOR OUR LIVES"

"BUT THERE ARE WHISPERS OF DISCONTENT. IF SO CAN WE DEFEAT OUR MASTERS? WEAPONS ARE BEING STOLEN, SOLIDERS ARE BEING TRAINED. A MOVEMENT IS BORN. BORN OF LIFE LONG STRIFE!"

Not bad. Subtly continuing an obscure game's plot isn't bad. Diablo 3 has a comet too btw. ;)