Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bones58

Favorite level name?

There's plenty of varied names for Doom levels from the literal "Hanger" to the ambiguous "Dis".

So what is your favorite level name, that you feel gives the map a certain atmosphere, is held true by the textures and architeture or is just plain cool?

My vote goes to Phobos Anomaly, for the first time playing how were you suppose to know what exactly this anomaly is? Plus it just *sounds* foreboding.

Bloodshedder said:

It's "Hangar".

TNT: Evilution actually had a map named "Hanger". If that's not a defining mark of quality right there I don't know what is.

I like Mt. Erebus, as far as the name is concerned.

bones58 said:
the ambiguous "Dis".

It's the name of a hellish city in Date's Inferno.

I always liked the names from E3 of the original doom.

"Mt Erebus" (E3M6) is probably my favorite, followed by "Slough of despair" (E3M2) and "Pandemonium" (E3M3)

Slightly off topic, I always loved the name "Dismal Oubliette", which was the last level of episode 2 from the original quake.

myk said:

It's the name of a hellish city in Date's Inferno.

I didn't know that. Wondered where they got that name from.

From the original Doom, my favorite title is "Dis." That's quite a cool name. If you count e4, "Perfect Hatred" is my favorite. That one just sounds really evil and... hateful I guess?

If you consider PWAD mapnames, my all time favorite is "For We Are Many" from CC3 MAP29. That name really set the tone for that map.

Also, "Phragmobasidium" (or however you spell that) from TVR! MAP26 was a pretty interesting name as well.

I loved the names of Dr. Sleep's Cantos series of maps -

• Dante's Gate
  • Crossing Acheron
  • Virgil's Lead
  • Nessus
  • Geryon
  • Vesperas
I haven't had a chance to actually run any of them, so I don't know if they are as enjoyably played as they are titled, but boy howdy, what a great naming scheme.

I always liked "'O' Of Destruction", also known as "Circle Of Death", both of which sound like some of the places Ming The Merciless sent Flash Gordon to die in those old film serials...

And all the levels in E4 (taken from verses of the King James Bible).

alien8, i have played each and every one of those levels by doctor sleep. i enjoyed them all. Virgil's Lead was ok, kind of confusing at times, but still fun, Nessus was a short map, Geryon was big, and Vesperas was big (both in terms of surface area). All in all, the set is fun.

anyways, as for level names i like, i liked "sever the wicked" quite a bit, just sounds cool to me. a level name i was thinking up was "Diaboli Vindictus" which just sounds latin or something and evil, i guess. i dont think there are any levels named that and im probably going to use it in a map. "Unto the Cruel" was probably my favorite though.

I must have a thing for the second-to-last level names, The Living End and Odyssey of Noises were always personal favorites.

"The Omen" was one of my favorites.

Death-Destiny said...
"For We Are Many"

Oo, I like that too.

Maybe it has something to do with the intermission background artwork?

Many of Gusta's and Method's map names, 'Post Mortem', 'Go 2 It' and... heh 'Go 4 It' :)

"Desanctification". I can't remember what it's from, perhaps one of the Community Chests.

EDIT: Yep, Community Chest 4. XP

Gothic 99 - Map01 - Entryway.com

Deus Vult 2 - Map08 - Minas Morgul

e3m4 House of Pain
plutonia m29 odyssey of noises
e4m5 They will repent
e4m8 unto the cruel
(actually all of the levels in e4 with names taken from the bible are sweet)

Creaphis said:

The Mucus Flow

Same for me :). Though another one that I really liked was: "In Threes".

TNT Map29 "River Styx"
Plutonia Map31 "Cyberden"
DooM E4M2 "Perfect Hatred"
DooM II Map24 "The Chasm"
DooM Master Levels "Fistula"