Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr.TF

Doom2 MAP12 RJ

I found a shortcut on MAP12 with a rocket jump. Perhaps it is known already (then it is probably useless :)), but haven't heard about it yet.

There is only one question... Would it be faster than the regular route if you did it in an optimal way? If it was, it could be useful in a TAS movie.

I think someone should try it in a tas run, I am not an expert at it.

Btw I think it is spectacular :)
Here is the demo. Enjoy!

Cool; I don't remember seeing that jump myself, although I may have missed some TAS demos (I don't pay as much attention to them as I do to regular runs). Maybe it could help improve the COMPET-N speed movie!

OMG... somehow I forgot MAP11 has RL :D

Edit: Ok.. I have made a new demo :)

myk said:

Maybe it could help improve the COMPET-N speed movie!

I don't think that it is useful in a normal run.
1) It COULD save only few seconds
2) Not that easy
3) You lose too much health -> Shotgunners will wreck you :(

I took my stop-watch, did measuring, compared demos. Result:

In lv12-043.lmp and in my demo "our hero" reached the gate almost at the SAME time.

BUT: In lv12-043.lmp Henning used strafe50 and the demo is quite good (nearly optimal). My demo is very very far from the optimal and only strafe40 is used.

Draw your own conclusions... :)

Interesting trick. I believe that someone commented in a built run that he had excess health because he could do the map09 trick without rocket assistance, so perhaps this would be a logical choice.

Nice trick!
I've made a test tool-assisted run to the first door (spent like 10 minutes, so it's kind of improvable. And it's not even built, simple slowmo playing) and i'm 0.7 faster than RamboBones in his built movie. But he has 1hp at the start of the map, and i don't see how he can conserve health earlier, so we have a problem here.
On the other hand, this tiny shortcut can lead to a bigger improvement, since elevators (at the end of map) would be placed differently. So in a perfect case, if we sacrifice 1sec at map11, we can drop 2secs here. But, more likely, there won't be any improvement. Lazy to test now, sorry :)

EDIT: hmm, i don't actually understand how do these elevators work, but after little testplaying i've come to conclusion that you cannot improve more than 1sec using the rj. I wonder if it could find any use.

jongo said:

I've made a test tool-assisted run to the first door (spent like 10 minutes, so it's kind of improvable. And it's not even built, simple slowmo playing) and i'm 0.7 faster than RamboBones in his built movie. But he has 1hp at the start of the map, and i don't see how he can conserve health earlier, so we have a problem here.

For a shortcut like that? I find a way to get more health.

jongo said:

I've made a test tool-assisted run to the first door slowmo playing) and i'm 0.7 faster than RamboBones in his built movie.

Could you share this demo (if it still exists :))?

It was made on a modified wad (with player1 start placed in the end of map11, where rocket launcher and soulsphere were placed also). I could make one on an original wad, but i guess we'd better wait for RamboBones' run, since he wanted to try this out.

jongo said:

It was made on a modified wad (with player1 start placed in the end of map11, where rocket launcher and soulsphere were placed also). I could make one on an original wad, but i guess we'd better wait for RamboBones' run, since he wanted to try this out.

Don't hold your breath waiting for me

Edit: Actually I believe I've come up with a way to make my editor work once again (reason I originally stopped is because it broke for me under vista). Currently implementing this, if/when it works the running will begin anew :)