Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fenriswolf

Problem with new Textures

Hi!
I wanted to make new Texture Slots with the Help of XWE. First i opened my WAD and imported my textures as Patches in the Patches-Folder. Then, I went to the Texture Option. I didn't know exactly what to do, just tried anything with the hope to find out by chance. I opened the lump "TEXTURE2" and Clicked on "New Texture", and a new slot appeared. I gave the new thing a name and inserted the Height and Weight of my new Texture and how many patches I need for it (In this Case 1). I clicked on "New Patch"
An now, I thought I just have to insert the Patchname of the Patch i want to be in the Texture, but when I gave the name (the same the image file in the patch folder had), XWE deleted the name after the insert...
How does this work?

The first thing you need to do is place a copy of the IWAD's PNAMES lump in your PWAD. This lump lists all the available patches, and is referenced by TEXTURE1. Then right click each new patch lump (the ones you imported into the WAD) and choose "Add to Patch Names", which will add them to the PNAMES lump. Once that is done you can start applying the extra patches in your custom textures.

First off, you only want to deal with the TEXTURE1 lump, and you are not required to import anything other than the patch graphics you want your textures to be made from. There is a trick to it.

1. Import your patches.
2. Highlight all of your patches and right click on them.
3. Select "Add to Patch Names"
4. Now select one of the patches and right click on it.
5. Select "Add to Texture"

The last step above makes XWE compile a TEXTURE1 lump for you with all of Doom's default texture entries. It also makes the patch you selected into a new texture entry. You can edit this entry and add more textures after it. Just remember that patches are not textures, but that one or more patches make up a texture. Each time you make a new texture entry, you must add all patches you want for that texture, set it's dimensions, set the offsets for each patch, etc. After you have added all the textures you want, you must remember to save your work by selecting the save command at the bottom of the Textures menu.

You can check your textures by inspecting the TEXTURE1 and PNAMES lumps. If something goes wrong, check:

1. The patch graphics' lump names
2. The patch names/numbers in PNAMES
3. The references to patches in PNAMES in the TEXTURE1 lump

All these things reference one another, so if you change one thing you must change them all. Hope this ramble helps. :)

Thank you for the Tip. I tried it and it worked, the textures were a little bit big, but that's ok.

Black Metal ist Krieg ;)

Just a question: is your mod for any port or is it Zdoom specific. The reason I ask is that Zdoom has a method of adding textures that does not require you to edit the TEXTURE1 and PNAMES lumps at all.