Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vegeta

DOOM 64 Fun

Kaiser is working on a true PC port of the Nintendo 64 DOOM version. You can get it here, and read all the the details on this thread, including an explanation from the author himself about why to play this instead the DOOM 64 TC. Some screenshots and a showcase video are there too.

UPDATE: Kaiser has uploaded version 1.1 at the same download link above. He also revealed that the project has an official site.

leileilol said:

fp

"Finished"?

It's playable from start to finish, so I think it is. As with DOOM there can be later versions as well.

Given that it's billed as a "feedback build" I'd say not finished. Regardless, its one of the coolest things released for Doom for a while.

Probably would have been better to wait until it's actually finished before making a news post about it.

Never did said it was finished.

However, the link to http://kaiser.startan3.com/Public/Doom64.zip has been updated with version 1.1b which has a large portion of bugs fixed, which I would concider stable, but still not official. As usual, keep an eye out for any news updates on http://doom64ex.sourceforge.net/

exp(x) said:

This is really cool work. I'm looking forward to a linux version.

I do have plans on getting a linux port up and going sometime in the future, however it would be more beneficial if I had some extra help, especially help from any linux contributers who know what they're doing.

I hope this adaption to the pc motivates someone with the enough skills to make a classic DOOM reinterpretation of the Motherdemon (same behavior, new sprites made in vanilla style).

Kaiser said:

I do have plans on getting a linux port up and going sometime in the future, however it would be more beneficial if I had some extra help, especially help from any linux contributers who know what they're doing.

You may find some knowledgeable help in #odamex. Almost all of the developers there use linux or bsd at least some of the time. Unfortunately, all I can help with is testing.

Perhaps I'm stating the obvious but before you (kaiser) can even begin to think about porting to *nix you'd need to replace the Direct3D6 renderer with one making use of OpenGL.

On a side note, I'm not able to compile Doom64EX with the latest psdk and dx sdk as the D3D ver 6 interface isn't even supported any more.

DaniJ said:

Perhaps I'm stating the obvious but before you (kaiser) can even begin to think about porting to *nix you'd need to replace the Direct3D6 renderer with one making use of OpenGL.

On a side note, I'm not able to compile Doom64EX with the latest psdk and dx sdk as the D3D ver 6 interface isn't even supported any more.

Thats exactly why I mentioned eariler that I wanted to port the thing over to GL. But I want to make sure that everything is running fine and dandy first before considering performing this huge task.

If you want I can provide you the SDK that I am using to compile D64ex.

CacoCaddy said:

What makes Doom3D the engine of choice?

Easy to work with and program. Its basically what I was looking for, which is the 'base' Doom code on a Win32 platform. Its easy for me to understand whats going on, compared to Boom/Prboom etc where tons of stuff has already been applied to it and more likely half of the content is just throw away because they're not needed for D64.

I'm interested in how to map for this. Is there a Doom Builder config or something? Or perhaps it's too early? I know the project site doesn't link anywhere when you click the links on the right.

Also, I don't really know where to report this, so I'll report it here:

You can't Alt-Tab from the game if it's in fullscreen. It crashes. :(

LordTyphoon said:

You can't Alt-Tab from the game if it's in fullscreen. It crashes. :(

I am pretty much aware of that. You're the 50th person to mention this.

LordTyphoon said:

I'm interested in how to map for this. Is there a Doom Builder config or something? Or perhaps it's too early? I know the project site doesn't link anywhere when you click the links on the right.

A customized Doom Builder is in the works. I am currently fixing some major flaws/bugs and afterwards I'll post a thread about it.

Kaiser said:

A customized Doom Builder is in the works. I am currently fixing some major flaws/bugs and afterwards I'll post a thread about it.

dunno if he ever posted it here on Doomworld, but Kaiser did post this in a thread at Newdoom.

BUMP!

I am a huge fan of Doom 64 and I downloaded this to my PC. It looks and runs great. I also have a Mac laptop that I take to work with me. I've only had it for a few weeks. How would I go about playing this thing on the Mac? I'm sure I can't just download it and run it but are there any tricks I could pull? The TC was ok but they changed my favorite parts of the game, the secret levels. I'm wanting the authentic experience.

I would assume either Boot Camp, VMWare Fusion or Parallels would be your solution; I don't know how easy it would be to compile the existing Doom64EX code to run on OS X, even Intel-native.

See all that stuff went right over my head lol i know boot camp is so u can install windows on here, but i've only got a 100 gig hard drive and windows xp (which is what i have) takes up alot of memory just to install the basics. Isn't there a program I could run it in?