Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SuperSlammer2

Really over-used custom sounds in wads

I\'ve gone through alot of death match wads in the idgames archives, and I noticed so many of them have the same freaking re-used sounds and it drives me crazy!!

what sounds have you heard too many times in wads throughout your playing career? remember these are only custom sounds, so don\'t get smart and say \"the default sounds\" lol :P

-the doom 64 pistol
-the shotgun and double barrel shotgun noises from dwango7
-heretic guy nosies for the player
-stupidly long sounds for normally short sounds
-gibbing noises that say \"SEASONS OVER ASSHOLE\" or something like that

SuperSlammer2 said:

-the doom 64 pistol

Increasingly, any (even all) of the Doom64/PSX sounds.

If we can include music, I'd say NIN midis are absolutely overused in just about all older deathmatch wads.

That early 90s techno midi with the square-wave intro that's found it's way into every deathmatch pack since Doom's conception.

Ed said:

That early 90s techno midi with the square-wave intro that's found it's way into every deathmatch pack since Doom's conception.

spheare.mid !

I honestly haven't heard spheare.mid as much as I've heard dwango5 map11, map18, and map20 all over the place.

It's like all deathmatch wads have some sort of unwritten law that they MUST have those midis in there somewhere.

Where did spheare.mid originate from? Is there a recorded counterpart to it? If not I think me, spheare.mid and my Electribe have date :D

As much as I'd like to say I'm sick of hearing MIDI versions of Head Like a Hole and Dead Souls, they've become so associated with 'vintage' doom maps that I get more of a sense of nostalgia when hearing them.. much like the original Doom soundtrack.

I think using PSX Doom/Doom64 sounds is cool, since many of them are in fact better, the PSX Plasmagun sounds for example ALLOT better then the dull sounds from the PC Doom. Its one of the reasons for why i never really liked the plasmagun from the PC version, it sounded dull.

hardcore_gamer said:

I think using PSX Doom/Doom64 sounds is cool, since many of them are in fact better, the PSX Plasmagun sounds for example ALLOT better then the dull sounds from the PC Doom. Its one of the reasons for why i never really liked the plasmagun from the PC version, it sounded dull.

It's subjective, but I personnaly like the PSX musics (dark ambient <3).

Edit : oh and to be ontopic, I hate the music in HR19/AV25/SC30, it's ok in the first one, but it's damn too repetitive for long maps...

Enjay said:

Increasingly, any (even all) of the Doom64/PSX sounds.

It's a fun feeling when you hear sounds from these versions in wads that existed *before* them. :)

TNT "Hanger" and "Metal" songs are quite catchy and easy to encounter in community wads. Not to forget the various possibly bad Metallica tabs, though I find those tracks very fitting for mid-90's Doom wads.

As for noises... well, there is a family of commonly used sounds in the wads of the 94, 95, 96 etc. Many have been gathered in the Heroes megawads. There are also the Star Wars noises, the Beavis and Butthead noises (I swear I heard that taa-tararaa-tararaa-tarararaaa somewhere) and of course the Ash one-liners.

Oh, here's another one: dwango12 map01. I've heard it a ton, and I can't get over the fact that it sounds so much like a vastly sped-up Head Like a Hole.

And "Axel F" midis, too.

However, I do owe some thanks to some of these midis, as some of them were my first experiences with bands I listen to nowadays. Some wad with Carcass midis (which I'd like to see used more, actually) were my first experience with that band before I even listened to heavy metal at all like I do now, so when I started listening to them regularly, I knew the songs already.

Bashe said:Some wad with Carcass midis (which I'd like to see used more, actually) were my first experience with that band before I even listened to heavy metal at all like I do now, so when I started listening to them regularly, I knew the songs already. [/B]

Vex-doom by Toke has a few Carcass midis in it.

zap610 said:

Quake 2 computer sounds.

Agreed. So agreed.

Oh and "Sweet Dreams" Midi (Marilyn Manson version) used to get used quite a lot.

RTC_Marine said:

Vex-doom by Toke has a few Carcass midis in it.

You're damn right it does!

However, I wish the Heartwork midi hadn't done away with the blast beats during the intro. :\

Who doesn't love the Heretic death sounds?? It's impossible for them to be overused.

I quit playing '94 wads because of metallica midis.

Ricocheting pistol sound. Really, there were a bunch on 1994 WADs overusing that...it was awful, like an ear piercing scream each time you shot. And let's not even say what happened with zombies/chaingun...

Terminator sounds for pickup, attack and whatnot. Bleh.

"you're goin' down!" off boomtown. ugh.

EDIT: "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllrighty then." SUCKED as a gib sound and will always suck.

LETS ROOOOCCKK!

Soooonuvabitch!

Anyone recognize those DSPOSIT sounds?

Scuba Steve said:

Anything from Heretic or Hexen.

Why should Doom be only made of base and hell levels ? The more diverse, the best.

Other than that, I would call overused Simplicity's palette.

Naan said:

Why should Doom be only made of base and hell levels ? The more diverse, the best.

Other than that, I would call overused Simplicity's palette.

He said "overused", not "should never be used". And this is a discussion about sounds, not palettes or graphics...

Doom Marine said:

Blasphemy, it is underused and always will be.

like all music, it should fit the map's theme. it's imo good for maps with a "post-apocalyptic" feeling to them, with lots of dark metal, looking like destroyed or decaying technology. it's a great tune, simple and sad.

"fuck you, asshole" or "terminated" after ever shot gets boring quickly. same for ash's "groovy" - i hate that. even more beavis&butt-head as they're so totally out of place.

metallica doesn't sound really good in midi, nor does it fit. maybe call of ktulu, i remember a good map that had this.

sure techno and synth tunes are overused, they're typical for the early 90's when doom was fresh and people were amazed by having built their own map ;)
i like hearing them in deathmatch maps, perhaps for nostalgia or because they show the map's age, switching it off when dm'ing is better anyway...