Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Donce

Needs more speed

Recently I played Fiend's two excellent episodes, Needs More Detail (Episode 1, Episode 2). I didn't find them to be so underdetailed, it was just right. The maps were easy in UV and quite a few provided a challenge in NM. So, of course, I just recorded all of them (except E2M3, which I couldn't beat) in NM. I would love to see E2M3 done, or any other demos in these maps.

Btw, I find the thread title quite fitting, because the demos aren't so fast :P Demopacks can be found here: first, second. I played and recorded the second episode first, and then the first.

Hey, very nice demos here. There are some close calls, plus many tense moments. And though they might not be very fast, it is easy to understand - tons of hitscanners and lack of armor/health make it hard to speed the maps through on nightmare. Though i have only checked out the first episode, i certainly will download the second one.

Here is a little TAS-movie, completing the first episode on nightmare skill in 5:10. It is far from being optimized, i think even 1 minute can be shaved off the total time. Still, i consider the demo fun to watch, and if you needed more speed, here it is =)

nmdn510.zip

jongo said:

Here is a little TAS-movie, completing the first episode on nightmare skill in 5:10. It is far from being optimized, i think even 1 minute can be shaved off the total time. Still, i consider the demo fun to watch, and if you needed more speed, here it is =)

Heh, cool, 11 minutes off, looking forward to the movie :) I was thinking to try E2M3 with TAS but just too lazy - and it would almost surely be a piece of cake with tools, anyway. Maybe I'll try some other categories, like regular speedrun or tyson (most of the maps have berserk or chainsaw, the latter being more popular) some day.

Attachment approved - sorry for the delay. I head off into the Arctic wilderness in a few hours, so you'll be relying on Opulent to approve attachments for the next couple of weeks.

That movie looks impressive :) Also, I saw a few tricks I now can't believe I missed. First is the blue key jump in E1M2 - it's very easy and obvious, though in an actual run it's easy to die there. E1M3 came as a big surprise - TWO key grabs! I remember how I looked at those keys and thought - nah, no way. And didn't actually try! Btw, which grab you refer to as "hard" in your txt? Red key is quite easy to grab (but if you fail, second try is not feasible - too much time will be wasted). It's interesting that I can only grab it from the blue door, not from the yellow, though chances should be identical. Now, the blue key puzzled me at first. I tried to run from afar into it, and no success. Then I watched your demo again and saw that you grabbed it without running from the distance. That's really puzzling... I tried the same and finally grabbed it :) Though I still cannot grab it reliably, it usually takes many tries to do that. I made an initial run using this route, but since it took many tries to grab the blue key and very slow killing of monsters at the exit - time was 1:36. Better than >2 mins previously, but certainly needs improvement.

EDIT: OK, so I started recording and in just two tries I got a 0:45, heh. I updated the demopack zip (link in first post) and the txt.