Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
(sniper) 109

Doom 64 II The Rising

Guest DILDOMASTER666

It is perfectly possible to add ZDoom-only features while retaining Boom compatibility. Even doom.exe totally ignores lumps it doesn't recognize (like MAPINFO). A good example of this would be to use a DECORATE monster that overwrites say, the imp, and is the same enemy, but uses high-res sprites and has more attack frames and stuff like that. Or using DECORATE and KEYCONF to add a weapon that has an alternate fire. It won't matter to Boom.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Only 2 versions would need to be made. Via use of MAPINFO, you can redirect the player from starting on MAP01 (say have him start on ZMAP01 instead), and even have all the maps in Hexen format with awesome scripts attached. Hell, you wouldn't even have to do that; just include a LOADACS lump, and GZDoom will recognize it and load all the scripts in the list for each map.

Like I said, Boom will ignore any nonstandard lumps it doesn't recognize. Just include a DECORATE, MAPINFO, and SNDINFO and stuff like that along with the main release, and ZDoom will pick up on it automatically.

Doom64EX however, would require the maps be reconstructed in a new format. We should discuss this more... (sniper) 109: as a matter of fact, whenever you PM me with your levels and whatnot, I'm going to do a little experiment.

The thing is.....I've never really done DECORATE before,And for the mapinfo I though of using fog like a bronzy bloody mist,But one thing I never really figured out how to do,is make a sector glow blue or red
(I never bothered trying! **)anyway if you know how to do this?then could you tell me?Oh and I'm working on a new doom guy face at the moment do you think its a bit too much?

(sniper) 109 said:

The thing is.....I've never really done DECORATE before,And for the mapinfo I though of using fog like a bronzy bloody mist,But one thing I never really figured out how to do,is make a sector glow blue or red
(I never bothered trying! **)anyway if you know how to do this?then could you tell me?Oh and I'm working on a new doom guy face at the moment do you think its a bit too much?

Why change the Doom guys face? If looks fine the way it is and there is no point in adding a new face "just" for the sake of a new face.

That's actually pretty cool, since Doom64 is an entirely retouched atmosphere full of remade weapons and monsters, I don't see how new face gfx could possibly be a downer. (Unless it's bad.)

Guest DILDOMASTER666

@sniper: In the works I have a reworked version of d64IItr.wad. The WAD went from 13MB or so down to about 9MB, after including all my textures, palette (a complete palette with all the pieces, it works in dsdoom.nds perfectly now), and 4 maps (2 incomplete) and simply removing unused textures and maps. Also, as proof of concept, you left his MAPINFO intact, which is a ZDoom only lump. If it works in Boom, then there you go!

Ergo, you apparently left console_doom.wad just as it was and layered your stuff on top of it. You left in a whole extra 29 maps from the original WADfile that were not necessary, along with many duplicate textures and unused ones. Plus, the WAD was constructed very oddly (maybe not sloppy, just strange). More or less, this is just an experiment; a test to see how much easier or difficult it would be with my stuff added on. Would you care to take a peek at this reworked version of your WAD and see if you would like to use it?

Speaking of which, FTILExxx and TILExxxx are absolutely terrible texture names. :(

Perhaps it's better to start a new project designed for DOOM 64 Ex. So these who want to mod for Boom or the DS can still do it, but these who prefer the new port can also go. That'd avoid the main conflicts of this mod.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Already knew about it. The lack of 3D mode is somewhat of a pain, but it didn't stop me from making a complete map - I still would prefer to put a little more effort into this and at least release a megawad.

Fisk said:

Already knew about it. The lack of 3D mode is somewhat of a pain,

The new Doom builder for the Doom 64 EXE has no 3D mode? Why not:(

(sniper) 109 said:

hardcore_gamer can u send me the url of your maps through pm

I am in portugal, and i have been there for almost the last 2 weeks!

I had just barely started on a single map before i left to portugal, what you see in the sceenshots i posted before is more or less what i have made so far.

I will be back in 3-4 days, i hope you will have solved the whole textures problem by that time! :)

EDIT: Does anybody know about a good place to get homebrew and the other stuff i need to get Doom to work on my DS?

perhaps this should help
for ds there is a video on how to install dsdoom but if your looking for a card try asking someone in a store for
-supercrad1
-r4 ds
-m3 simplyds
-ezflash 3 in 1
-datel games n msuic
or whatever card im sure atleast one store should carie atleast one of these products

Guest DILDOMASTER666
hardcore_gamer said:

The new Doom builder for the Doom 64 EXE has no 3D mode? Why not:(

It's apparently a problem regarding what NODES structures the 3D mode is looking for. I took a peek at less recent source than is in that build that Kaiser officially released - at that point, it looked for the original NODES data types, which are a good bit different than those that Doom64Ex uses.

(sniper) 109 said:

sweet Fisk when will i be able to see the 9mb wad?

Very soon. I just need to convert your maps to my textures list and I'll send it your way.

(sniper) 109 said:

good Idea hardcore gamer if it's okay with you guy's i'd like to do the first episode map01/11 the STATION THEME

Station theme can mean so many things, if each episode can only be made by one mapper, then each episode is bound not to look the same as the other ones since each mapper probably has his/hers mapping style. Its not just a matter of themes but also who is mapping.

If 2 mappers that dont have a similar mapping styles make there own base theme map then there maps are bound not to look or feel the same despite both maps having a base theme.

Also there is nothing that says that the projects episodes HAVE to have the same themes as the ones from The Ultimate Doom, with is by the way not possible since Doom 64 does not have any (or at least very few) episode 2 or 4 theme textures, only tech and hell textures that dont seem to go very well with one another.

Plus we could (depending on how many episodes were going to have) have like 2 base/lab theme episodes and then some other theme (does not have to be hell theme it can be anything) and then a hell theme or something.

Example:

Episode 1: Space port

Episode 2: The Delta sectors

Episode 3: The lost base (not sure about the theme of this episode)

Episode 4: The Burning Inferno

These are just examples and dont have to be the real names.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Very interesting. I'd be happy to do some Hell themed levels and pack them into an episode, if nobody else wants to do them.

I was thinkinbg this:
episode 1 "map01 to map11"space port theme
episode 2 'map12 to map20"hell them
episode 3 "map21 to map30"earth theme

Notice that all my episodes go according to sky change's.

Good that mean's that fisk is doing episode 2 and me episode 1,Hardcore_gamer I'm not insisting you make the earth style your welcome to do what ever you want (as theme) whether it be earth hellpart 2 space craft,what ever you want!

(sniper) 109 said:

Good that mean's that fisk is doing episode 2 and me episode 1,Hardcore_gamer I'm not insisting you make the earth style your welcome to do what ever you want (as theme) whether it be earth hellpart 2 space craft,what ever you want!

hmmmmm are there any "earth like" textures for Doom 64? Even
Doom 2: hell on earth took place on "base like" maps despite being on earth.

perhaps if you make the maps look very high-tech while i make my maps look more like there taking place on a somewhat "low tech" base then the player will get the feeling that he is not figthing his way through a another tech base but rather just a base or some place thats on earth.

And about the skys cant you just make a mapinfo lumpt to control what sky is on what map? And just use "new" skys that fit the episode themes for that matter rather than using the old Doom 64 skys?

EDIT: Instead of having Episode 1 a tech base episode like almost all of those other episodes ones out there, why not make it take place in a giant spaceship!

Also, why don´t we have a intermisson (the red text thing) appear after each level to tell the player whats happening in the story, instead of just having some cheap "you have won! bla bla bla" text at the end of each episode!

Prboom doesn't support mapinfo,but Like I said your free to do what ever you want with the last episode,about the space ship that does sound interesting but idk how to design levels like that.

Fisk when will I be able to see the wad you made?(the 9mb one)