Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Agent_Ash

"Painkiller" in GZDoom

To be honest mostly I don't like mods which try to bring some other games in the world of Doom. Mostly. But when it came to Painkiller, the temptation was too strong. Weapons in Painkiller are really unusual, and it's a challenge for anyone who knows Decorate to try and make them for Doom.

However, I tried and did what I could.

As for now you can get it here:
http://ashigaru-rostov.narod.ru/mods/Painkill.zip
(NOT a direct link, you'll see the direct link when you click this one)

This version is already newer than the one that I uploaded on the FTP. When I finish full next version, I'll rename and reupload it.

To make a long story short.

WEAPONS

1) Pain-Killer
You have it from the very beginning. It's very much like the original weapon, but I couldn't make the alternative attack ('killer'), so instead as for alt.attack you throw revolving blades, which looks like the 'combo' attack of this weapon in the original game.

2) Shotgun-Freezer
Almost an ideal copy of the original weapon, including some effects (like very interesting ricochet).

3) Stakegun-Grenade launcher
Again almost an ideal copy of the original weapon. The only difference is that grenades don't blow when hit enemies. Also grenades are fired directly forward (in Painkiller they're fired with an angle about 20 degrees up). Yes, you can perform combo attack by hitting the thrown grenade by a stake and getting some kind of 'medieval' rocket.

4) Rocket launcher-Minigun
Another ideal copy. I especially like the ricochet effect.

5) Electro-Driver
Seems very much like the original weapon but it's not ideal. There's no 'combo' attack at all. 'Electro' doesn't seek nearby enemies, has no range limit and generally acts different. Shuricanes fired by 'Driver' are however like the original ones.

POWER-UPS

Armor is replaces by armor from Painkiller. Invisibility Sphere and Berserk are replaced by Weapon Modifier from the game, which has almost the same effect as the original power-up - it modifies weapons for 30 sec in various ways.

FEATURES

There're no medikits. Enemies drop souls (green (+1 health) and red (+10 health)) which heal you. When getting 66 souls you enter the Demon Morph Mode. It's the same as in Painkiller, though enemies are not red (can't be helped).

So, that's it. I know it's not ideal, but I tried.

I loooooooooved painkiller.

Imma gonna have to have a look at this.

Thanks for your work bro... lets see this.

It's not bad at all. The rips could be better, some of which are highly palettized, but the gameplay is there. I especially like that you were able to implement grenade staking. :D It's a shame you weren't able to include the shuriken gun's tertiary fire, though.

"All you need to know is that there's a gun that shoots shurikens and lightning. The only thing that could possibly make it more awesome is if it had tits and was on fire."

Well, guys, believe me, if there was any way, I'd have made the combo for Electrodriver. But I don' see a way. GZDoom does not support additional weapon states on pressing both attack buttons simultaneously.

It is very possible, seeing as my weapons have 3 modes of fire ... If you'd like to see my script, you're welcome to.

My Gun mod

Suddently I had a brainwave... I think I found a way. Well, it's too late for now, I've already uploaded it in the incoming files. However, If I do the next version... I guess I'll make combo. And perhaps some other nice things, normal hud for example...

Reuploaded the file. Fixed the bug when thrown killer vanished hitting sky. Completely forgot about that moment...

Nice weapons mod. Since i like P.Killer, this mod is very interesting, although i have seven tips:

1.- I think the weapons are overpowered. It should be better you lower a bit the weapons damage.

2.- Souls never vanish. I mean, the monster's souls should vanish if not pickup after a bit time, like in real Pain Killer.

3.- Would you make a zDoom/zDaemon/SkullTag version? I have try to play the mod under zDoom, but i got a "Decorate Error: Demon1 actor already exists" error (or something simillar)

4.- The electrical attack makes the Frames per second to lower drastically. Maybe you should remove some particles or FX effects from this attack.

5.- It should be interesting to change the game FOV when the player becomes demon (pick up 67 souls) to an higher value, for example, 100 or 110.

6.- When releasing the painkiller (hand to hand weapon), that should not return to player until presing secondary attack again, hurting the monsters if they walk onto the trail (you can make this using railgun shoots from player to painkiller head position in map).

7.- Decals for Painkiller weapon when hitting a wall.

But afterall, good job. Keep your good work. :-)

Cool weapons! I like them but there's a bug that makes blood, flesh, bones and souls to float. You should make them NOT float because when i kill Lost Soul, Cacodemon or a Pain elemental i sometimes can't get the soul.

Karnizero said:

Nice weapons mod. Since i like P.Killer, this mod is very interesting, although i have seven tips:

1.- I think the weapons are overpowered. It should be better you lower a bit the weapons damage.
2.- Souls never vanish. I mean, the monster's souls should vanish if not pickup after a bit time, like in real Pain Killer.

3.- Would you make a zDoom/zDaemon/SkullTag version? I have try to play the mod under zDoom, but i got a "Decorate Error: Demon1 actor already exists" error (or something simillar)

4.- The electrical attack makes the Frames per second to lower drastically. Maybe you should remove some particles or FX effects from this attack.

5.- It should be interesting to change the game FOV when the player becomes demon (pick up 67 souls) to an higher value, for example, 100 or 110.

6.- When releasing the painkiller (hand to hand weapon), that should not return to player until presing secondary attack again, hurting the monsters if they walk onto the trail (you can make this using railgun shoots from player to painkiller head position in map).

7.- Decals for Painkiller weapon when hitting a wall.

But afterall, good job. Keep your good work. :-)

Thanks. Now about tips...

1. Disagree. Perhaps weapons seem overpowered when playing original wads, but on some levels, when for a long time you have nothing but Painkiller, it's not too easy.

2. Yes, they never vanish. Doom is not Painkiller. Painkiller mostly has quite simple architechture, and many PK maps are just like big fields. But in Doom you very often can't quickly get to the place where the enemy was, sometimes can't at all. Vanishing souls annoy me extremely in PK and would annoy much more in Doom, if they vanished.

3. Doubt it. Well, I don't know what's the problem with ZDoom. Perhaps I'll try to do something about it. But not Skulltag, it's not my kind of a sourceport, I don't use it and don't work with it. If anyone wants to make Skulltag version - you're free to do it, just don't forget to mention the original author of the mod. Anyway, if I do ZDoom version, it'll be later, when I start making next version of the mod.

4. Right you are. It's because of dyn lights. Made too much of them. Will fix it in the next version.

5. That's exactly what I thought about yesterday evening. Though I'm not sure there's any way to change fov but using a console command, I wonder if I can make it through the script.

6. Well, at first I want to underline that I didn't make 'killer', I made only 'combo', which in PK has no rail at all and comes back when hitting anything. I wanted to make it come back when pressing the button, but for that I needed to change TiD of the thrown blades, and for some reason I couldn't do it though I added the command to blades spawn animation. Perhaps it's the bug of GZ 1.1.4, I guess it worked before, I don't know. If I were successful, I'd have made normal 'killer' attack with rail and anything. Also, there's another problem: till know I haven't found a way to make a projectile act differently when hitting a wall or an actor, therefore I couldn't make 'killer' which stops and stays at the wall, but comes back when hitting an enemy. Also therefore I couldn't make a normal stake which stays at the wall, but vanishes when hitting an enemy. And I still doubt if there's a way. Perhaps there is, but it's a little complicated, which I don't really like.

7. Decals? There were no decals in PK. So I didn't make them here.

@ Jekyll Grim Payne:

For the FOV, maybe at zDoom or drd Team forums should know.

For the zDoom/SkullTag version, making it for zDoom, probly works in Skulltag. This mod can give lots of fun at internet games.

For decals, i mean not really decals, i mean exactly sparks when the Painkiller hits a wall.

I would just like to say, that this is awesome. I only have two minor gripes though.

1) Is there a reason the hud weapon sprites don't bob when you move?

2) In the latest svn of gzdoom AND zdoom (works in zdoom btw), the hud item/ammo/armor sprites are not scaled and take up most of the streen.

Edit:

3) Also, it would be a good idea to have some of the blood chunks to fade after a while, mostly for performance issues. Try lowering a platform with 1000 piles of blood on it. It will kill your cpu.

Looked at the decorate. They're all +DONTBOB o_O

rf` said:

2) In the latest svn of gzdoom AND zdoom (works in zdoom btw), the hud item/ammo/armor sprites are not scaled and take up most of the streen.

Yeah, I noticed this myself, but I didn't say anything becuase I assumed it was a bug on ZDoom's part rather than intentional.

Sorry abount non-scaling sprites, but I'm not going to change them. As well as many other authors who prefer hi-res sprites when possible. Besides, well... I use GZDoom 1.1.4., and there're no problems. As for ZDoom, I don't know if it supports sprite scaling at all. If some versions of GZDoom stopped stupporting it, it's just a temporary problem. Also, I guess when I start the next version I'll try SBARINFO and change the hud completely (hope I'll be able to make hud in PK style).

I found a bug that prevents me from using the painkiller weapon. alt-shoot the spinning blades into the sky, not only will it disappear, it also won't return, rendering your weapon effectively useless.

Cool mod. One question though, did you make all the extra gibs? Running around with the rocket launcher gibbing everything is just plain awesome.

I don't care much for weapon mods, but a gore mod similar to that I would LOVE to have.

Mike.Reiner, what do you mean by your question? I didn't really get it...
As for gore mod... Well, in 'Beautiful Doom' I enhanced this basic gibs mechanism a lot, so perhaps the time to make purely gore mod is coming... interesting idea...

Guest DILDOMASTER666
Brewtal_Legend said:

was this one ever updated?

Why do you keep bumping 2 and 3 year old threads