Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Haloless0320

Wolfenstein

If anyone has a subscription to Game Informer you probably read about the newest Wolfenstein.All of it seems pretty awesome,free roaming enemies,etc.But I am not all too fond of B.J. being able to manipulate this "Shroud" realm.
To me it sounds a bit far fetched but I don't wanna say it's gonna suck before I tried playing it.
Whats everyone else think of this.

Haloless0320 said:

To me it sounds a bit far fetched

Because the Nazis creating genetically engineered mutant zombies with weapons embedded in their chests wasn't? ;)

whats up with people caring about a video game being unrealistic or far fetched or whatever? its a video game.

I was gonna try to defend my opinion but I see where youre coming from now.
I dunno,I can't get used to the fact that B.J. will have access to all these powers.I always viewed him as an ordinary spy and not a spy with superpowers.

I'm actually on your side on this one Halo. Wolfenstein wouldn't be Wolfenstein without the occult Sci-Fi elements but I'm not fond of giving B.J. super natural powers either.

Man, people whined about Return to Castle Wolfenstein being too occult and fantasy, or too unrealistic, but I loved it. I think those people never got past the first episode of the original...or even the first boss. Seriously, a guy in power armor with Gatling guns for hands? When you get to him you know the game is just pure fun. I even loved all the Denglish in both the games, which surprisingly a lot of people objected to.

There's a major difference between being a dude with a gun who kills supernatural enemies and being a dude with magic powers who kills supernatural enemies. Even if it's not more far-fetched, it changes the mood of the game. If magic is apparently available to everyone all of a sudden, then the previous games lose their context of an ordinary American hero against evil, impossible forces.

If the "Shroud" realm effect is limited or if it acts like the magical ultimate weapon from many shooters, then it's ok by me.

Creaphis said:

There's a major difference between being a dude with a gun who kills supernatural enemies and being a dude with magic powers who kills supernatural enemies.

Not arguing there, but that's not what Halo said.

Personally, however, I don't mind it. I would rather have a decent straight up WWII War Movie-style shooter (like Where Eagles dare etc) but, seeing as how Wolf has always embraced the supernatural, I'm absolutely fine with BJ having some supernatural abilities too. I don't give a toss about the ordinary American hero aspect and, quite frankly, if I want to start thinking down that line, an ordinary person taking on those odds is also a pretty ridiculous pretext - just as it is in any FPS - and that's just how we like it. :)

I'm afraid they will treat this thing like the soul cube or hell artifact making it essential to defeat bosses. Killing the Cyberdemon with that cube was not fun!

This is Raven, their not geniuses at their later FPS’s

Technician said:

I'm afraid they will treat this thing like the soul cube or hell artifact making it essential to defeat bosses. Killing the Cyberdemon with that cube was not fun!

This is Raven, their not geniuses at their later FPS’s

Getting a little senile in these later years lol.

And as for the powers;If it was like Fear where you had the slow time power and that was it,that would be fine.But this is like a whole slew of psychic powers(Or whatever)

Blazkowicz already has superpowers in Wolfenstein 3d. Besides exceptional endurance (which is more of a one-person shooter standard), he can drink blood from the ground to help restore his health (not much). It's very limited and probably an easter egg, but still a suggestion that BG may have something for the "Shroud".

B.J. comes storming through the Nazi Checkpoint like a bat out of hell as the nazi's scream "oh noes!!"

Danarchy said:

Seriously, a guy in power armor with Gatling guns for hands?

I thought that was insane at the time, but the final boss being far weaker than them seemed like a big letdown.

So was the Spider Mastermind at the end of Doom.

Technician said:

Yeah, the Cyb battle in Doom3 was a major cluster fuck. But the Maledict fight in RoE was fun. You really only needed the Artifact to survive the meteor shower. While in Doom3 the whole match revolved around the usage of a very unintuitive weapon.

But sreiously though, I can't really think of any FPS where the last boss battle have been awesome.

Gez said:

Or Chton and Shubniggurath at the end of Quake.

Shub-Niggurath was a bit of a let down.I mean Cthulu,Father Dagon and Mother Hydra was one of the most memorable fights on Call of Cthulhu...you think they would have done a better job.But Chthon was pretty fun.

Anyways...back on the subject of the thread.I always figured that the wolfenstein universe and the Hellboy universe could work well in tandem.

Nazis secretly building/obtaining high technology, as they seem to have done in the trailer, is not a new idea, just check out the review for "The World-Shakers" about 3 quarters of the way down this page: http://www.sextonblake.co.uk/blakebibliography_1960.html (a future episode of one of my webcomics is also going to feature much the same idea, heh)
Hitler also had a well-known obsession with the occult and mysticism. A recent TV documentary about the "real" Indiana Jones went into this in quite some detail. A planned SS officer training college (based around an existing German castle but with heavy modifications) was to have had a store-room for various artifacts and the decoration and layout of the site was to have been loaded with all sorts of symbolism.

kristus said:

But sreiously though, I can't really think of any FPS where the last boss battle have been awesome.

I think of Heretic.

The fight with final boss on Hexen was pretty epic to me

Back on topic though...even though the whole special powers thing puts me off a little I'll still play it cause everything else seems pretty solid.Kinda like Oblivion...or STALKER*Halo flinches expecting a bitch slap*

printz said:

I think of Heretic.

Good point, besides Episode 4 and 5 (Since they were extra episodes and weren't intended to be in the actual story) Watching D'Sparil die was certainly eye candy.

deathbringer said:

Nazis secretly building/obtaining high technology, as they seem to have done in the trailer, is not a new idea

OF course not. I mean, hell, they did it in the first Hellboy movie, didn't they? It's an overused concept, and not just with the Nazi's either.

Either way, I'll reserve my opinion until I see some gameplay action. I'm willing to judge it based on how these new "powers" work in-game and whether its feasible at all + fair. Again, video games aren't necesarilly meant to be realistic, and I think they're trying to jump start Wolfenstein into a new generation of gaming that they think needs this new addition.

kristus said:

I thought of Heretic too. Even if you're good at Doom engine games it still takes a while to finish him off, and I'm sure that I was very proud of myself the first time I managed to do so, way back in the day.

But yeah, I'm having a hard time thinking of games I've played where the end bosses were satisfactorily awesome.