Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ed

Sin City 3

After a brief vacation from single player mapping (4 years), the last installment of Sin City should be released hopefully within the next week. After months of work off and on I'm happy with the results. Not so much based on heavy scripting as it is on refamiliarizing the player with the game and creating an immersing, terrifying environment. A lot of focus has been put on sound design and music. Most of the in-game sounds have been re-recorded. One of the key things I remember while playing Doom in the early days is hearing enemies and not knowing exactly what it was or what was around the next corner. This is also kicking off a personal project of mine to re-map every sound and rescore the entire game using all of the resources in my studio.

I'll have some more tid-bits here and there until it's release.

Use the colourmap from oniria.wad

(which i incidentally started off a project based on once, to remove or recolour everything red, except the blood, so the whole game would be black and white except for blood. Got deleted in a crash, though.

Excellent map - very atmospheric.

A few minor quibbles-
Should Linedef 613 be blocking monsters? Made them much easier to manage.
One of the imps around the semi-circular stairway appeared to be trapped under it's cage.
The archvile wasn't facing me when spawned - made for an easy kill.

This is a very nice map, Ed. It was very eerie and atmospheric. The music and new sounds helped out a lot as well as some of the gloomily lit corridors. It made moving and fighting through the level a very interesting experience. This is probably one of the most immersive maps I've played in a while. Excellent work!

GreyGhost said:

The archvile wasn't facing me when spawned - made for an easy kill.

You lucky. It spawned facing me and I had to dive behind all those pillars protruding out of the wall to not get blown up by it's hit-scan spell. :S

Very nice map. Really enjoyed it and it's very atmospheric. The logic of the key hunts wasn't something I would normally like - see the key requiring dooring door, trek quite some distance across the map for so long that I'd almost forgotten that I was looking for a key then work my way back and have a similar situation for the next key. However, I thought it worked really well in this map and the base is so good looking and the fights were so much fun that that I was just enjoying the ride.

Thanks guys.
I must'v missed those bugs, adds character. If there's two for the entire map and don't interrupt gameplay too much I should be able to sleep at night. I have a bug-fix update for satanx.wad soon. Fixed the lighting bug that occurs with the newer versions of zdoom, sped up the lifts and added an autosave after the intro storyline. I'm such a shlub when it comes to proper beta testing :D

Death-Destiny said:

You lucky. It spawned facing me and I had to dive behind all those pillars protruding out of the wall to not get blown up by it's hit-scan spell. :S

IMO, you're the lucky one.

<3 Arch Vile.

Karnizero said:

When Sin City 4 will be released?

We need more Sin City.

I was going to leave this the final one, but I think a return to the original theme / return to 'Sin City' itself would be a nice closer.

Ed said:

I was going to leave this the final one, but I think a return to the original theme / return to 'Sin City' itself would be a nice closer.

Indeed it would. It's been a great series of maps and rounding it off like you suggest would be most welcome. :)

Enjay said:

Very nice map. Really enjoyed it and it's very atmospheric. The logic of the key hunts wasn't something I would normally like - see the key requiring dooring door, trek quite some distance across the map for so long that I'd almost forgotten that I was looking for a key then work my way back and have a similar situation for the next key. However, I thought it worked really well in this map and the base is so good looking and the fights were so much fun that that I was just enjoying the ride.

Agree. But I'd like to add: It looks fantastic and it reeks of pure effort!

Ed said:

Really, this was one of the best WADs i never played.

It would be nice to have a sequel, continuing the history.

Would be really nice.

Thanks man, much appreciated.

I got a lot of complaints last time for the long winded story, now it seems I've left a few things out. The character you play in SC3 is the same person that escaped SC2 (at the very start of the map you can see the same tank from SC2 through the window). The events of SC2 left the gateway to Sin City itself open and led to a second invasion. The map itself is a video recovered by the human race upon returning to Earth from a mass exodus centuries previous.

There's a whole mythos in my mind that I would like to set out. I'm playing around with releasing the next installment with a separate zip that's essentially just a short in game movie that you can opt to view before playing the map itself. It seems people are 50/50 on cutscenes/intros, personally I think they can set a proper mood of the map. Making a full out storyline that I could dedicate it's own resources to without bloating the actual map itself would be the way to go.

Bugs with newer versions of Zdoom addressed and fixed with satanx.wad. Intro is now skipable, lifts sped up and fixed one bug which caused the game to crash. Link, uploaded to 'Incoming' as well.