Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SPV999

2-D Mario Doom project

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQsbQt3JEOY
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?ufmo6dd9f9m

Yay, first released WAD. I got the idea from Mario Doom, which this level is based in (HUGE thanks to them, again).

Video explains everything, really, so yeah.
It's just level 1-1 for now, but I'm taking my laptop on vacation next week and should be able to finish at least one more level.

(... and this is not what I've been working on this whole time. This is actually a fairly recent project.)

EDIT: I worked up a new HUD:
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g61/SPV999/Star%20Quest/Screenshot_Doom_20080725_151229.png

Wow that looks interesting. Still it's crossing the line of "why to play this while I can play the original thing", it doesn't seem to add anything new to Mario besides the 3d perspective to the map and the fact that both Mario and enemies have extra hit points. In the other hand it has some limitations like Mario always looking in the wrong direction and others. It's like the mod limits both Mario gameplay and DOOM possibilities.
I think it could be more interesting if you could have this gameplay but from the first person view. This of course would require 8 angled sprites (something not really that hard to do with Mario Characters).
It'd be great to explore the original Mario maps in first person view, with Mario gameplay.
Also if you could port this to Skulltag (that now supports 3d floors), this could be a zap in multiplayer.

Hope this comments don't take you down, I find this pretty good, and I'd like to see more from you in the future.

Vegeta said:

Wow that looks interesting. Still it's crossing the line of "why to play this while I can play the original thing", it doesn't seem to add anything new to Mario besides the 3d perspective to the map and the fact that both Mario and enemies have extra hit points.

Because you're playing Mario... in Doom :P
Besides, now that I know it's easily possible to do this, it would be insanely easy to come up with new maps, ones not copied from any Mario game.

In the other hand it has some limitations like Mario always looking in the wrong direction and others. It's like the mod limits both Mario gameplay and DOOM possibilities.

This is very sad, but true. The other problem is the inability to control Doomguy in mid-air (you have to jump using momentum alone).

I am coming up with an idea of how to implement a custom HUD, however, timer, points, everything. Should make it more Mario like (limiting it less). NO IDEA how that is going to work out.

I think it could be more interesting if you could have this gameplay but from the first person view. This of course would require 8 angled sprites (something not really that hard to do with Mario Characters).
It'd be great to explore the original Mario maps in first person view, with Mario gameplay.

If you take away the camera change script, this is fully playable from an FPS perspective (you get a glimpse of it at the start of the video). Results may vary, as I've never tested it >.>

Also if you could port this to Skulltag (that now supports 3d floors), this could be a zap in multiplayer.

Still kind of a n00b at this thing. The only engine I've ever worked with is ZDoom, I wouldnt know a thing about porting to a new engine, nor do I know anything about online. If someone wanted to port it to a different engine, be my guest. I'll help in any way I can. (I may look into this in the future, now that you mention it... it wont be soon though).

Hope this comments don't take you down, I find this pretty good, and I'd like to see more from you in the future.

Not at all, it's just a hobby. Thanks for the feedback :)

Nice work ! Though I'd rather play a mario mod on Doom with the first person to see the original levels with this perspective.

If you've ever played Action Doom, you'll quickly realize how boring the perspective can be in first-person...

I would personally vote for this style but with new levels. We've already played the NES version a million times, let's see something new :)

EarthQuake said:

If you've ever played Action Doom, you'll quickly realize how boring the perspective can be in first-person...

Heh I actually found it very cool and fun, just too short and easy, but if the gameplay is edited like on this mod it could be great.
Perhaps both options (third and first person) could be selected on a scripted start up menu, or running two different bat files.

This is pretty interesting in concept, but some of the ideas could be implemented better, like getting rid of the "double sky" concept and making it entirely a parallax'd sky, and I'm not sure why mario is backwards, that seems a bit strange. Again an interesting concept.

Thanks guys.

What's with all the Chex Quest stuff?

When I first started modding "Doom" I was actually more interested in Chex Quest. So it's just what I had on hand when I started this project.

This is pretty interesting in concept, but some of the ideas could be implemented better, like getting rid of the "double sky" concept and making it entirely a parallax'd sky, and I'm not sure why mario is backwards, that seems a bit strange. Again an interesting concept.

I tried for a unified sky at first, but some areas didnt take the idea well (specifically the pits). Plus it was hard to align the patch properly with the "ground" and still make it look nice all the way up the screen.

I have no idea what's going on with the Mario sprites. I tried everything I could think of, and they still faced backward.

Bump for new level.
2-4, also shows the new HUD (best viewed in High Quality):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjH6ZeQzzi0

Like the description says, it is imperfect, and I would have liked to have refined it more, but I ran out of time >_<
I'll get back to this project at a later date, maybe in a week or two, maybe longer.

SPV999 said:

I have no idea what's going on with the Mario sprites. I tried everything I could think of, and they still faced backward.

Did you try... making them backward to begin with and then not changing anything else? If you did and they still showed up facing the wrong way... well, it would imply that the engine is analyzing the pixels to somehow "sense" which way Mario is facing and is actively thwarting you. In which case the apocalypse is near.

Richo Rosai said:

Did you try... making them backward to begin with and then not changing anything else? If you did and they still showed up facing the wrong way... well, it would imply that the engine is analyzing the pixels to somehow "sense" which way Mario is facing and is actively thwarting you. In which case the apocalypse is near.

Yep, I tried flipping them and re-loading into the wad, but they still faced backward. Now, if you turn Mario around so that the actual character is facing backward (left), then the sprites face forward (right). However, if I use the Doom guy or Chex guy, they face the right direction.

I'm going to have to play with it again later. I'm obviously missing something.