Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Liked to play this....way back when.....

however, it doesn't like Modern ports so much (ie Legacy and Doomsday)_

any chance of an update/port???

JB

Batman DOOM is one of those mods that used every DOOM.exe trick known to man in order to pull of its (very impressive for the time) maps. A lot of those tricks are quite difficult for "modern" ports to emulate, especially those that allow free look.

I fully recommend Chocolate DOOM for mods like this, Aliens TC and others of roughly the same age and complexity.

Maybe one day Doomsday will be capable of supporting all these tricks :)

I played it briefly and didn't really like it/ couldn't get into it. Seemed confusing. You have to re-memorize what all the new sprites represent as far as powerups etc.

gggmork said:

You have to re-memorize what all the new sprites represent as far as powerups etc.

That's a pretty small requirement in my opinion. Personally, I really enjoyed Batman Doom. It has good gameplay, drew me in atmospherically, and is quite impressive from a technical standpoint.

Speaking of Chocolate Doom and the Aliens TC, I tried to run Aliens a while ago (as I'd never played it before) but couldn't get it to work. I'm probably using the wrong files or the wrong command line options. Can anyone give me a brief run-down on how to run the Aliens TC with Chocolate Doom?

I hope this isn't a severe thread derailment.

Creaphis said:
Can anyone give me a brief run-down on how to run the Aliens TC with Chocolate Doom?

Use the version in these ZIPs:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=3269
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=3268

You don't need to install it with the batch file; to play just type:

chocolate-doom -iwad doom.wad -file alitcwad.wad alitcsnd.wad -merge alitcsf.wad -deh alitcpud.deh 

Batman Doom is STILL one of the greatest Doom projects ever made. I can go back and play it any time and it's still amazing what they managed to do with the original Doom exe. This wad was released 10 years ago and still holds up to newer projects. I consider Batman Doom to be one of the biggest inspirations to my progress as a mapper/designer... I no longer thought of Doom mods as "Thing + Doom" I saw that Doom could be used to make something else beyond Doom.

It's even better than Hokuto no Doom !
I've played few levels of Batman Doom and it looked really great for a so old TC... even if I was a bit bored of the gameplay aspect, but nothing critical.

(offtopic : just played alientc with myk's links, it's damn impressive for a 1995 tc)

myk said:

chocolate-doom -iwad doom.wad -file alitcwad.wad alitcsnd.wad -merge alitcsf.wad -deh alitcpud.deh 

Good god.

Well, I guess I've used some long command lines before, but still.

Scuba Steve said:

Batman Doom is STILL one of the greatest Doom projects ever made. I can go back and play it any time and it's still amazing what they managed to do with the original Doom exe. This wad was released 10 years ago and still holds up to newer projects. I consider Batman Doom to be one of the biggest inspirations to my progress as a mapper/designer... I no longer thought of Doom mods as "Thing + Doom" I saw that Doom could be used to make something else beyond Doom.

get ready for an AMAZING EXPERIENCE!!!111

Creaphis said:
myk said:

Good god.

Well, I guess I've used some long command lines before, but still.

How about :

$ cat > alienstc.txt <<EOF
-iwad doom.wad
-file alitcwad.wad alitcsnd.wad
-merge alitcsf.wad
-deh alitcpud.deh
EOF
$ chocolate-doom @alienstc.txt
There should be a command.com/cmd.exe equivalent too.

Batman Doom is great. I just got Scarecrow's sprites and made him a nice boss with him. So, what can I guess? I played this time ago and was pretty good.