Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jobro

Doom for Xbox360 - what a letdown.

I took the time and paid 400 microsoft points to get hold of Doom for Xbox 360. And here is my review of it.

The game is not much to talk about, it is vanilla doom 1.9, no more no less. The controls are smooth and takes some time to get used to. The graphic is smoother than the PC version, but there ain't much news in this game. No crosshair, no up/down look, no dynamic lights whatsoever.

So what has the game to offer?

You have 12 achievements that you can unlock. The game supports up to 4 player deathmatches. This game has no support for external wads, and it has everything baked into the game.

So is it worth the 400 mp it costs? I'd say if you want to experience vanilla doom it sure is. But the game is just plain boring with nothing new added. So if you have Zdoom or any newer ports then stick to them I'd suggest since it gives more to the gamer.

Harsh. You should review other official console Doom ports but then again you'll call it crap for not having freelook, pwad loading and alot of other additional port-jizz.

Next time you review an official port judge it on how much ruin it has on Doom, rather than 'feature x that sourceport added is missing i'm pissed'

And all I did was give my humble opinion on a Doom port that could've been better enhanced. I'll try to follow your advice when I review a console port next time

Better yet, you should read reviews about the Xbox version of DOOM (made by doomers) before buying it. It's well know that it sucks ball.

jobro said:

it is vanilla doom 1.9, no more no less.

How astounding.

Vegeta said:

Better yet, you should read reviews about the Xbox version of DOOM (made by doomers) before buying it. It's well know that it sucks ball.

As a Doomer who's played all the PC and console games, I'd say that if you want Doom plus bells and whistles, stick with the PC games and third-party mods. Or move on to Halo, Unreal Tournament, Gears of War, etc.
But if you want the best overall commercial console port of vanilla PC Ultimate Doom, the Xbox360 game is the one to get.
The Free Trial version is still in the Live Marketplace. Makes it easy to try before you buy.

Doom for the 360 is what brought me back into the comfortable Doom embrace after 10 years.

It's kind of funny, actually. I've got a stack of unfinished games for the 360 and (for the first time in my life) an almost bleeding-edge PC, and all I've played for the last few months has been Doom(2) and all of it's many modifications.

Coopersville said:

I bought it when it was 800 points; I wasn't let down.

As did I. I still haven't earned that 100 Kills in Deathmatch Achievement though. **

jobro said:

So what has the game to offer?

Well it's not supposed to be the groundbreaking game of Doom that it is today. I mean you may as well complain about why Tetris and Contra are not super duper updated games. You're pretty lucky that it is as good as it is. I mean, if you had an SNES and bought Doom at that time for $40, how does that even compare to a $5 GOOD version of doom today?

Well being a console port in which you can have 3 of your friends in the same room to joke around with while blasting baddies or each other, I think it's totally worth the $5.

MONKET said:

oh my god I can't modify the Doom levels on the SNES what the hell

Well, simply ignore the version?

Sorry, I have to agree with Jobro. What makes Doom what it is today is not the (rather shitty) original Doom2 levels. If that was all there is I would have stopped playing 13 years ago and I wouldn't invest even a cent into anything that'd allow me to play them again.

I was disappointed 14 years ago and I still don't like them.

I'm still here because there's a nearly endless supply of custom content. As such, all the console ports are a waste of money to me.

Graf Zahl said:

I'm still here because there's a nearly endless supply of custom content. As such, all the console ports are a waste of money to me.

You know, I feel the same way about modern games too. Given that, with a few exceptions (by "a few" I mean "Unreal Tournament 3"), none of them are moddable on consoles, it's not the console ports that are a waste of money but the consoles themselves in my opinion. :P

I know but if it really were Doom for Xbox360 and not Doom for Xbox360 Live Arcade maybe it would feature looking up and down, dynamic lighting, downloadable maps, the whole shabang.

If the mainstream Xbox players could buy doom today and be so open to the custom mods and content that is in it, they would stop (or at least slow down) buying all the new Xbox games that are coming out because of Doom's unlimited potential, like I did when I first found out about the Doom mapping community. Why would Microsoft want to do that? And I, like many other Doomers, am content with Vanilla Doom as it is. I was actually surprised that it even came with E4.

EDIT: Also;

jobro said:

But the game is just plain boring with nothing new added.

What about that sweet High-Def TITLEPIC? I still want that.

JohnnyRancid said:

I know but if it really were Doom for Xbox360 and not Doom for Xbox360 Live Arcade maybe it would feature looking up and down, dynamic lighting, downloadable maps, the whole shabang.

That would require, on id or Microsoft's part, an effort to update the engine with new features. Successful game companies don't devote personnel to update really old games. And purists would never forgive them. Or they'd have to take a source port, like ZDoom or Doomsday or whatever, and take on them the responsibility to officially support that sourceport.

Nah. Either way, that's simply not a realist scenario.

Um... online multiplay+voice chat was well worth my five dollars. Especially when playing with friends through nightmare coop IMO.

I own the Collectors edition of Doom 3 on my xbox 360 and it has a vanila software low res 340x320 version of Doom and Doom 2 on it, but its still kind of lame, there is no option for the sounds or the visuals, you cant change the button layout and i dont get it why they did not update the games so that they disply in 640x420 res or something, its not hard!

Oh! And The Ultimate Doom has the sky from E1 on ALL 4 episodes!

So yea! I would say that the Doom from the xbox live arcade is allot better!

And the reason for why Doom 2 is not on Xbox live arcade is probably cus it blows balls compared to The Ultimate Doom. I mean why should people bother paying another 5 dollars for a game that has the same visuals, just with a few new enemys, one new gun, and levels of (mutch) lower quality?

I kinda have to agree with hardcore_gamer on the reasoning behind that there's no Doom 2, however I think they should have kept it at $8 and include Doom 2 with it. Maybe even Final Doom if they were generous enough.

I think there's the option for downloadable content. If I were to request anything else, it'd be for them to add a megawad or two.

Worth my 5 dollars as well. It's a very good console port of Ultimate Doom, plays well, and you can play coop and deathmatch on one console. It doesn't reinvent the wheel, it just puts it on a different vehicle. I never entertained the thought that it would have any sort of freelook or any bonuses, it was just playing doom on my 360 on my tv, with in the room dm and coop, therefore I wasn't dissapointed. In fact I was surprised because the resolution was better than I thought it would be.

When my friend got Doom for the Xbox 360 we had a lot of fun playing it but then once we got past a lot of the episodes we wanted to play doom 2. Even though doom2 was sort of rushed out its still fun to play with friends and we were waiting for it to come out so we could play co-op.

kaiser_wilhelm said:

When my friend got Doom for the Xbox 360 we had a lot of fun playing it but then once we got past a lot of the episodes we wanted to play doom 2. Even though doom2 was sort of rushed out its still fun to play with friends and we were waiting for it to come out so we could play co-op.

I doubt its going to happen, otherwise it would already be out ages ago.

I most certainly did not think that this port was a let down. Come to think of it, I believe that it's the best console port of DOOM that there is. It remains completely true to the original, has a decent support for multiplayer, I think it was great. My only problem with it? It didn't include either of the dead bunny scenes.