Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
exp(x)

The dude abides

I doubt they could even come near the atmosphere the original had. It's really the films age that gives its charm.

Never having seen the original, this video excites me zero. Although glancing at the topic and picturing a Big Lebowski sequel brought equal amounts of excitement and bewilderment for a few seconds.

Richo Rosai said:

Although glancing at the topic and picturing a Big Lebowski sequel brought equal amounts of excitement and bewilderment for a few seconds.

Gah, that's the exact same thing I was thinking. Then I saw the video and my excitement turned to dismay :(

I haven't seen the first one either so...yea. Maybe I'll try to watch it sometime, then I can make a judgment on whether or not that preview is awesome or not.

Awesome. I heard that they abandoned Tron 2. I guess the rumors were wrong then. It's awesome that they got Jeff Bridges to be in this. Tron was an old childhood favorite and it's one of my guilty pleasures of the movie world...one of those movies I just love too much despite it being silly or childish (along with Labyrinth and The Yellow Submarine).

Anyway, as for a Big Lebowski sequel, the Coen Brothers are very anti-sequel, but Jon Turturro actually has an interest in making his own movie about The Jesus.

Danarchy said:
one of those movies I just love too much despite it being silly or childish (along with Labyrinth and The Yellow Submarine).

Childish, maybe, but...SILLY? It was a fantasy movie, so naturally it was supposed to be a little off the wall, not to mention also being a Jim Henson movie.

AirRaid said:

Let's hope it's better than the game was, huh?

Tron 2.0? That game had great atmosphere. Sure, it wasn't a masterpiece, but I enjoyed it. Plus, you got to kill people with a fucking disc. It doesn't get much more badass than that.

I loved Tron way-back-when and this looks as if it might be a decent remake/sequel. /crosses fingers.

I really liked the first movie (even though I wasn't born around the time it came out) and I've started played 2.0 again (probably one of the best LAN games I've played); from the trailer it looks like an exciting action movie set in the Tron cyberspace. I just hope they don't set the standards too low so that the story is retardedly simple in terms of the relevance to computers.

exp(x) said:

Plus, you got to kill people with a fucking disc. It doesn't get much more badass than that.

Agreed. :D

It wasn't a perfect game, but I thought it was awesome. It was definitely better than most of the FPS dreck we see today.

You know, the bikes and discs and crap had a purpose for their existence in the original film. I'm not getting that vibe here. It looks like they just threw in a bunch of iconic stuff to make people go "ooh" and "ahh".

When I was a student back in the 80's a boatload of my money went on the arcade version of the game. I was a master of the light bikes. :) Hell, I even used to sit in dull lectures drawing out light bike trails. o_O

personally I don't think tron needs a sequel, but at least it's not a remake. I was a fan of the original and had the toys and some of the video games released on the intellivision. well lets see how they pull this one off.

this brings back some really good childhood memories. I hope they dont mess it up. This is one of the few disney movies I will tolerate.

I've never seen the movie or know a whole bunch about tron to begin with, but don't the cycles only go horizontal and vertical? What's with all this nonsense about smooth turning and slowing down to a stop?

That was one of my first impressions. Has the world "evolved" somehow?

Who wants to bet that the Mainframe is now some sort of MMORPG / alternate reality, and the movie will have some Matrixy philosophical "what is real" mumbo jumbo?

DeumReaper said:

I just hope they don't set the standards too low so that the story is retardedly simple in terms of the relevance to computers.

One problem I always considered if they ever did a sequel to Tron is how computers have changed since then. Sure, the Internet opens up a world of possibilities, so that's a good thing. But also consider how games were back then. You could believably consider a game based on oddly-shped hovering ships, bikes that leave trails of solid light behind them, or a game where you lob discs at your opponent, trying to knock them into a void. Those were the kind of games back then since you couldn't really make anything realistic with a few pixels and blip-bloops for sound. And thinking of these programs forced to participate in these sorts of silly games was entirely feasible. Modern games, however are all realistic and plot-driven (at least all the popular ones) so basically, they'd have to play through stuff like Half-Life, Final Fantasy XXVI, and Starcraft. That kind of stuff isn't really stuff you can just place in the "computer world" that they can jump in to.

Of course, there are ways around this, a few I can think of feasibly. Seeing how they deal with these issues.

Of course, computers were something different back then. They were mystical devices to most people. There are all kinds of inaccuracies on terminology and how computers work in the movie, but no one was the wiser back then. For instance, a couple things Flynn says "somewhere out in all those memories is the data" (or somesuch), or "I shouldn't have written all those tank programs" (did he really write dozens of identical programs? why not just one program with multiple tanks? :P). It's best to take it all as some sort of fantasy anyway. I mean, a machine that turns matter into data (eating the matter in the process)? Not to be taken seriously.

Also, this thread would be incomplete without:

JohnnyRancid said:
What's with all this nonsense about smooth turning

Wolfenstein 3D allowed walls to meet only at 90 degree angles, while we all know that Doom allows mostly arbitrary angles.

Clearly Dillinger wasn't just stealing from Flynn, he was also stealing from John Carmack! :-)

I'm surprised at how many people haven't seen Tron. It's a classic.

Also the bikes in the original could turn smoothly in the original, as seen in the trailer Dan posted, they just didn't in the 'games', because the 'game' was a representation of the 2D line-drawing Tron game which only allowed right angles.

Yeah, the light cycle game was set to OSNAP ON. :P

I'd like to note the connections this movie has to Babylon 5. First of all, Bruce Boxleitner plays the eponymous character in Tron, and is also Captain Sheridan in B5. Then, Peter Jurasik, who played Londo in B5, is the program Flynn defeats in the disc game early on. Thirdly, David Warner, who played all three big bad guys in Tron, guest starred in an episode of B5. Just for the record, David Warner has the best evil voice ever. I love everything he's in.

Danarchy said:

Just for the record, David Warner has the best evil voice ever. I love everything he's in.

Yeah, he was quite evil in Time Bandits.