Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Agent_Ash

Beautiful Doom -- 4.7 released!

Enjay said:

Presumably because modern game designers don't fire weapons and spend too much time watching movies. Or maybe it's easier to make the weapon look cool if you can see a bit of the side. Or maybe its something to do with how much screen space (or what screen location) they take up.

centered weapons made aiming a lot easier for me, at least back when there was no crosshair.

in newer games i prefer hiding the weapon model and aim only with the crosshair.

Captain Red said:

[list]

• Being able to knock an imps gibs around after blowing it to bits is the shit

• you can play coop with a buddy using an imp's head as a ball.

or get out in the backyard on map01. idkfa for more fun, kill the imps, then juggle with their heads. try keeping the head in the air by hitting it repeatedly with the chaingun. doing this with the shotgun is hard (seems to fire faster than the original)

as for plasma and bfg, these should leave (a percentage of) burned, charred corpses behind, is this possible?

I told you all, there's no way to make an actor be not a target for autoaim. This mod is NOT for people who use autoaim, it is only for complete mouselooking players. If you don't like gibs, add gibsfree.wad, that's one of the reasons why I included.

Yes, it is possible to make plasma burn corpses, but I don't have appropriate burned and charred sprites.

Jekyll Grim Payne said:

I told you all, there's no way to make an actor be not a target for autoaim. This mod is NOT for people who use autoaim, it is only for complete mouselooking players. If you don't like gibs, add gibsfree.wad.

Yes, it is possible to make plasma burn corpses, but I don't have appropriate burned and charred sprites.

Fair enough. Also, maybe tone down the spidermastermind explosion and other monster explosions are a little goofy. Overall though it's a really spectacular mod.

Dammit, I have bugs all the time I try to upload it to incoming. Connection broke and now there's a part of the file and I can't upload it before that bad archive is deleted, or I need to rename it again, whcih I don't want to do.

Perhaps anyone interested in additional deaths by plasma would like to make some sprites for zombie, shotgunguy, chaingunguy, imp and demon?

Jekyll Grim Payne said:

Dammit, I have bugs all the time I try to upload it to incoming. Connection broke and now there's a part of the file and I can't upload it before that bad archive is deleted, or I need to rename it again, whcih I don't want to do.

Perhaps anyone interested in additional deaths by plasma would like to make some sprites for zombie, shotgunguy, chaingunguy, imp and demon?

PM me about this, I can do that after I get off work

This is excellent work. I played around with this last night and I really liked the treatment of the weapons. Enemy deaths were top notch, too.

Thanks, Lich.

I uploaded new version (God, is this going to end?), it's 2.8. If I get some sprites for plasma deaths I can include them, but except for that I see nothing to add, so it may be finished.

BTW, I thought about making destructable corpses for enemies and, as this it would lead to imppossibility of raising them, teaching Arch Vile to spawn enemies instead of ressurecting them, like in Doom 3. However, it'd be a great change of original gameplay. What do you think of iit?

It would be cool if you could shoot them, but not destroy them. Shooting bodies down stairsets could be pretty fun.

I kind of like the idea of being able to gib a dead enemy - it would add a bit of tactical effort into keep an arch-vile at bay.

I don't know if this goes beyond the scope of what you want to accomplish with Beautiful Doom, but perhaps a good way to keep combat balanced would be to give an arch-vile the ability to resurrect enemies more quickly.

JohnnyRancid, unfortunately, the effect of shooting something around is actually made through killing and spawning it again, so it'd be about destroying bodies anyway.

alien8, I don't want to implement it as a new element of in-game tactics, I just thought about adding shootable bodies as a decorative feature. But I have doubts about it, because I've always wanted the mod to be the recreation of purealy original gameplay (and if there are some things that make the game easier, I prefer to think this is not because I made something easier but because I made it more logical and comfortable to use, like enhanced SSG, etc.)

hardcore_gamer, I gave the proper permission in the end of the txt, so you're welcome.

As for shooting gibs, etc., I actually wanted to make them not shootable, but pushable, to create the effect of blood-soaked meat sliding along the floor. The problemt is that with +PUSHABLE flag the pushed actor slides too fast, I see no way to make it heavier or add momentum to it or something.

hardcore_gamer said:

Can i use this in a MOD that i am making?

What I would say is please don't just copy BD across to your mod wholesale. Just use the bits you want or use them as a basis for your stuff. If you are just copying BD - what's the point? Just tell me to use the copy of BD that I already have with your mod. I get fed up constantly downloading the same "cool" mods over and over because various people seem to feel the need to shovel them into their WADs.

Enjay said:

What I would say is please don't just copy BD across to your mod wholesale. Just use the bits you want or use them as a basis for your stuff. If you are just copying BD - what's the point? Just tell me to use the copy of BD that I already have with your mod. I get fed up constantly downloading the same "cool" mods over and over because various people seem to feel the need to shovel them into their WADs.

That's the point, yes. It happens often.

I donwloaded version 3.0. Something tells me this MIGHT be the final version. At least I feel I'm ready to say "no, I won't work on this wad anymore".

So, the main new feature is a bunch of scripts and key functions. These are "Blood effects on/off", "Gibs on/off" and "Zoom". Zoom is quite typical: mouse3 changes fov to 25 and mouse_Sensitivity to 0.15, pressing again you get fov 90 and sensitivity 1.
    Two others turn the appearance of blood or/and gibs on and off. Also these functions remove all the blooddrops/gibs present in the map at this moment, so you can free your memory anytime. This also suits for slow CPUs, but with turned off gibs enemies just vanish when entering extreme death animation. So I'd still advise using gibsfree.wad if you don't like gore effects.

Blood control - default 'y', Gibs control - default 'u'.
    Big colored messages on the screen will inform you what you did by pressing the buttons.

Enjay said:

It's for a megawad/MOD that i am creating for Doom 2 zdoom in hexen format. It will have over 7 episodes and 64 maps. It was suppose to be inspired by PSX Doom, so it has the PSX Doom enemy's sounds and music, as well as some other effects like colored lighting and colored fog. I thought the new effects in BD would make the atmosphere even better and improve the gameplay with the new death animations. So no i am not just going to take BD and make some new tweeks and call it my MOD.

hardcore_gamer said:

It's for a megawad/MOD that i am creating for Doom 2 zdoom in hexen format. It will have over 7 episodes and 64 maps.

I hope we'll see it some day :) You're welcome to use the stuff. I was thinking myself about making some kind of resource wad, interactive detailed light source resource wad for example.

Jekyll Grim Payne said:

I hope we'll see it some day :) You're welcome to use the stuff. I was thinking myself about making some kind of resource wad, interactive detailed light source resource wad for example.

Thanks, and good luck with that.

hardcore_gamer said:

It's for a megawad/MOD that i am creating for Doom 2 zdoom in hexen format. It will have over 7 episodes and 64 maps. It was suppose to be inspired by PSX Doom, so it has the PSX Doom enemy's sounds and music, as well as some other effects like colored lighting and colored fog. I thought the new effects in BD would make the atmosphere even better and improve the gameplay with the new death animations. So no i am not just going to take BD and make some new tweeks and call it my MOD.

I think you missed Enjay's point. I do not believe he is telling you NOT to use it, just include a sentence in the accompanying text file saying "Note to player: please use Beautiful Doom in conjunction with this WAD for the intended final result", as opposed to loading the entire mod into yours and thus inflating the overall size.

BoldEnglishman said:

just include a sentence in the accompanying text file saying "Note to player: please use Beautiful Doom in conjunction with this WAD for the intended final result", as opposed to loading the entire mod into yours and thus inflating the overall size.

BD changes some gameplay aspects, so i will have to design my levels based of that, so just typing that into the readme won't be enough.

hardcore_gamer said:

BD changes some gameplay aspects, so i will have to design my levels based of that, so just typing that into the readme won't be enough.

Why not? Plenty of people have released WADs with lines such as "requires the mortres textures" (and included a link to the appropriate resource) and those WADs don't work properly unless you DL and use the texture pack too.

You could probably even include a script to check for a BD specific item of some sort and have the game itself tell you that BD is required if it isn't found.

It certainly sounds like BD would be a good and fitting addition to your ambitious project. I guess I'm just trying to head off a potential BD-in-every-mod syndrome. I mean, I've lost count of how many times I've downloaded Nashgore, for example (although, admittedly, it does have to be integrated a bit more fully than some add ons do).

Enjay said:

Why not? Plenty of people have released WADs with lines such as "requires the mortres textures" (and included a link to the appropriate resource) and those WADs don't work properly unless you DL and use the texture pack too.

You could probably even include a script to check for a BD specific item of some sort and have the game itself tell you that BD is required if it isn't found.

It certainly sounds like BD would be a good and fitting addition to your ambitious project. I guess I'm just trying to head off a potential BD-in-every-mod syndrome. I mean, I've lost count of how many times I've downloaded Nashgore, for example (although, admittedly, it does have to be integrated a bit more fully than some add ons do).

I guess i could do that, but i find it more comfortable when a download comes with everything required. I don't always bother reading the long text files and so do allot of other people. And i always get frustrated when i download something and then when i try to play i just get the console in my face saying "this stuff is required" or something.

Jekyll Grim Payne said:

I told you all, there's no way to make an actor be not a target for autoaim. This mod is NOT for people who use autoaim, it is only for complete mouselooking players. If you don't like gibs, add gibsfree.wad, that's one of the reasons why I included.

I addded gibsfree.wad but I'm still getting gibs.
    [strikethrough]Now it's working.[/strikethrough]

I have to say that this mod is excellent. I'm not too fond of the chaingun sprite and the weapons shoot a little high to make small panels that you have to shoot to open doors and such quite awkward and sometimes ammo consuming but overall it is great. I am going to use it in a megawad i am building as the effects and gibbing work fantastically with the atmosphere of the wad, and make it slightly more realistic without it being over the top.

one thing, is it possible to make the hanging bodies that block stop blocking once they have been shot down? as you would have to be pretty weak to be foiled by a small piece of string, and it would make original and interesting gameplay, having to blast bodies out of the way to get somewhere, without completely changing the gameplay and staying reasonably true to the original doom.

A taster level of my wad will be uploaded soon, hope you all enjoy it, and thankyou to whoever activated my account if you are reading this post.:D

PhilibusMo said:

I have to say that this mod is excellent

Thanks! :)

PhilibusMo said:

one thing, is it possible to make the hanging bodies that block stop blocking once they have been shot down?

Yes, it is possible. The reason why I didn't make it is that often these bodies are used as necessary obstacles in some maps. So I couldn't just make it possible to shoot them and make them non-blocking, as in some maps it'd lead to possibility of entering some areas which should be inacceessible. In case you want to make it possible for your wad, it is pretty simple: add A_NoBlocking function to any frame in the death state of the shootable corpses. They can be found in the Decorate lump with "Victims" on top.

hardcore_gamer said:

I guess i could do that, but i find it more comfortable when a download comes with everything required. I don't always bother reading the long text files and so do allot of other people. And i always get frustrated when i download something and then when i try to play i just get the console in my face saying "this stuff is required" or something.

I think you're right, so guys, leave him alone. I don't like all this "additional requirement" stuff too. Besides, there are some mods which worth to be used often, and I wouldn't be offended to see my mod becoming something like this.

The thing you should bear in mind, however, is that you should ask yourself: is it necessary and would your wad's atmosphere and so on really depend on BD included? or you just think that "it'd be cool to add it?" Because the difference is great. I remember the wad "ZBlood Pack" and I hate it, because it is simplty stuffed with enemies and numerous guns from WRW and MRW, which neither makes it cool, nor too interesting. Also remember that not all people like BD. Perhpas you don't need it all, just some certain elements. This is something you should think over.

As for me, I wouldn't use my mod in my wads, because all this gibbing and enhanced weapons are just for fun, this is not necessary. Perhaps I'd like to see some of my enhanced objects, torches for example, 'cause they may look cool with modern wads.

Some people don't like new weapons and gameplay at all. I like new weapons and other objects when they are used in the wad reasonably. For example I have and idea of the wad based on "The Terminator", perhaps some levels in future, LA 2029 AD. If I ever start making it I'll surely add new weapons and enemies, which is just necessary.

I wasn't picking on him, just making a suggestion. The problem has been, in the past, that many WADs have ended up as "shovelware" WADs and you end up downloading the same textures, or sounds, or add on features or whatever dozens of times. Aside from anything else, it gets dull. If he decides to go ahead and include BD in his WAD, so be it. I'm not going to get that upset about it. :)

On the hanging victims thing.
    I thought that's why you'd left them blocking, and I agree that it makes sense for maximum compatibility.

Jekyll Grim Payne said:

They can be found in the Decorate lump with "Victims" on top.

I can't double check ATM, but am I right in saying that you put multiple lumps called DECORATE in the WAD? If so, can I suggest that, in future, you give them different names and then use the #include instruction in your DECORATE lump? ie, your DECORATE lump could look something like this:

#include VICTIMS
    #include GUNS
    #include SFX

and then you would have separate lumps called VICTIMS, GUNS, SFX...

It just makes it easier for other people to look at your stuff (particularly important when you are providing something people might use as a resource) because different editing tools handle same-name lumps with varying degrees of success or by using slightly different procedures.

Enjay said:

I can't double check ATM, but am I right in saying that you put multiple lumps called DECORATE in the WAD? If so, can I suggest that, in future, you give them different names and then use the #include instruction

I know how to do that. I included multiple Decorate lumps on purpose, I just prefer it to look this way and I identify them with a big sign in the beginning of every lump. If I make a resource wad certainly I'll make lumps with different names.

Something I meant to mention before, but forgot to. When you hold fire on the plasma gun and run forward, some shots are silent. I think this is probably due to the way that Zdoom limits the number of instances of a sound within a specific radius of each other. Running forwards means that previous projectile is still making its noise close enough to the player that when the next one is released, it is silent. This should be fixable by making sure the plasma firing sound is not limited in SNDINFO.