Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
40oz

8x8 texture offsets

Is it possible, for when setting texture offsets in 3D Mode (Since that is generally where I do most of my texture aligning) to automatically offset textures in 8's? When I need to align a texture, to about, oh say 64 units, that can take a good 10 seconds to do. I know that doesn't sound like a lot of time but I am often aligning numerous amounts of textures, and taking the time to adjust them 1 unit at a time is rather tedious.

Do it the old fashioned way and use math. Visually aligning textures is inefficient anyway.

JohnnyRancid said:

Is it possible, for when setting texture offsets in 3D Mode (Since that is generally where I do most of my texture aligning) to automatically offset textures in 8's? When I need to align a texture, to about, oh say 64 units, that can take a good 10 seconds to do. I know that doesn't sound like a lot of time but I am often aligning numerous amounts of textures, and taking the time to adjust them 1 unit at a time is rather tedious.

Slade can do this. I'm pretty sure DB2 will have it as well. It's definitely as time-saving as it sounds. :3

Use3D said:

Do it the old fashioned way and use math. Visually aligning textures is inefficient anyway.

That's equally as long as doing my own way, even with or without a calculator. And how can visually aligning textures be innefficient? That's like saying playtesting is innefficient for making a map with good gameplay.

If you have to align a lot of textures altogether, it is far quicker to select them all and offset them numerically, rather than manually moving them one at a time in 3D mode. Partly it is experience. If you know that a particular texture will need to be offset by, say, 32 units to set it where you want it, then you don't need to see it in 3D mode.

Having said that, I do use 3D mode for offsetting a lot as well, mostly if there are a lot if individual textures to be moved. :)

I'm too lazy to Y-align a bunch of textures, so I either just use textures like ASHWALLs that look the same regardless of alignment or else make all my rooms a consistant height so nothing gets misaligned. Whenever I make height variation along walls, I tend to vary the texturing so it still needs no aligning. Since I do all of this already, I usually have very little to align, so using 3D mode doen't take too much of my time, though since I oftentimes find that the textures on the same sector need to be aligned, once I figure out by how much, I find it much quicker to so so in 2D mode.