Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
blarg

Dissapearing Corpses

I had just finished a somewhat complicated area involving a pit of slime with overflows at one point and engulfs the surrounding sectors.
There are a few corpses/gory decorations in the amphibious flood-plain area, and in single player everything works great.

The wad is meant to be played in deathmatch, though, so I ran a deathmatch game with my friend and found the gory decorations in the flood-plain sectors to be clipped, like the way that can be defined in a TERRAIN lump, but on the off chance that the TERRAIN lump was to blame I removed the floor clipping from the slime flat I was using. No dice.

It only happens to the non-corpse decorations, so the Dead Demon and Dead Imp were fine, where as the Pool of Brains (DoomEd #81), Pool of Blood (DoomEd #79), and the Small Pool of Blood (DoomEd #80) were nearly or completley invisible.

I believe this is cause by the Transfer Heights (209) involved with these sectors. The heights are still being transferred even though the sector appears to be a completely normal and solid one, although I have no idea how to fix it without removing my corpses, and without them the area is pretty bland looking.

I use DB, XWE, and ZDoom v.2.2.0 with OS Windows 98SE if that helps.

Hmm, tricky situation. You could try giving the corpses "no gravity" with DeHackEd or DECORATE, and using a script to make them "jump" with the Thing_ThrustZ function. You'd have to tweak it a bit so they rise with the water level, but I think it should work. Maybe even make them solid and pushable for added effect (although you might get weird results if you pushed them into the air). :)

O.K, I'll try that, although I won't bother to make them float, there isn't enough room between the rising water and the ceiling in the area where most of the corpses are.

If you're not using them in an area where water is rising, then you can just set "no gravity" and then set the corpses thing heights (assuming you're using Hexen format). I thought you wanted corpses that floated upward with the rising water level. Although floating corpses on slime would be a mighty cool thing to add. ;)

It would definitely look cool, though could you maybe manipulate a bridge piece somehow, or make a sector raise with it, and then sink it while setting no gravity on it?

Doesn't work. The things will still lower when the bridge does. Although I've noted if you put weapons and such on an instant-lowering lift, then they appear to drop to the ground. That might do the trick though. Just lift a floor momentarily and instantly with the "no gravity" corpses.