Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kristus

First Info on Doom 4

In an interview with Shacknews, John Carmack explained the basic plans for Doom 4, currently their second major in-house game project. Carmack is promising a lot of open-ended action, and 3 times the visual fidelity of Rage. Go to Shacknews to read more about it, and witness what appears to be the new Doom logo.

More info on the game has been delivered by Tim Willits, saying that the game will not be titled Doom 4, but instead will have a subtitle. Other information about the game can be obtained from shacknews posts here and about the multiplayer aspects here.

kristus said:

More info on the game has been delivered by Tim Willits, saying that the game will not be titled Doom 4, but instead will have a subtitle.

WHAT?!?! THERE NOT GONA CALL DOOM 4 DOOM 4?!?!!

I hope for the best about the game of course but this just can´t be a very good sign! :(

Apparently it's not a direct sequel to Doom 3. Whatever that means exactly, I am not sure of.

Why not after all... looking forward, but I don't expect the game of the century. Who knows though...

I prefer the traditional numbering system, it makes it much easier to know which game goes where. Although, I just like organization I guess. Keeping my eyes and ears open for this game. :)

kristus said:

More info on the game has been delivered by Tim Willits, saying that the game will not be titled Doom 4, but instead will have a subtitle.

Doom 3: Episode One

I hope they don't make this to be a prequel to DOOM³ or something, or worse yet, another recreation of DOOM 1.

"[Doom 4]...should have three times the graphical fidelity of Rage due to a lower target framerate."

lower target framerate?

I'd laugh if it were to be 35 fps.

Csonicgo said:

"[Doom 4]...should have three times the graphical fidelity of Rage due to a lower target framerate."

lower target framerate?

I'd laugh if it were to be 35 fps.

This is actually not news, as it's something they've been saying for a while. It'll be a 30hz game instead of a 60hz game that Rage is. According to Carmack though. Most games that are released are 30hz games. The reason Rage is 60hz is for that racing aspects of it.

A lower framerate <mops brow> for one awful moment I interpreted "three times the graphical fidelity" as meaning three times as many DVD's!

They mean moving and formatted for that framerate, not necessarily meaning forcing the game to run at it. I remember the shitstorm of Doom3 announced to be a '30hz' game.

That is one ugly ass Doom logo. They better come up with something better than that.

The great thing about the doom logo, is the unique shape; even in this incarnation, you KNOW it's about the video game Doom. The letter shapes and the zigzag pattern inside them are all very unique and have been branded very well. id can do whatever they want to the word "Doom" and as long as it uses the stylized letters and internal pattern.

I know but it's just rocks, there could have been some kinda carving in the rocks or something, or the letters could have been sculpted, these rocks look like they were just found somewhere in nature and placed next to each other to form the word Doom.

If that logo intends to emphasize the meaning I interpreted from it as the actual mock-up of the game, I'd be more afraid to play it than Doom 3, and Doom 3 was supposed to be scary.

JohnnyRancid said:
If that logo intends to emphasize the meaning I interpreted from it as the actual mock-up of the game,

Actually, it's certainly better than the early DOOM 3 logos... I might go far enough to say I like it more than the DOOM 3 logo itself.

By the rough but artificial look of the logo they're going with the "Hell on Earth" concept... although nothing stops the game from having more than one location (another planet, our planet, and eventually hell, for example).

hardcore_gamer said:

WHAT?!?! THERE NOT GONA CALL DOOM 4 DOOM 4?!?!!

They'll call it "Doom Forever"...

doom FOUR quake FOUR starcraft TWO diablo THREE devil may cry FOUR final fantasy THIRTEEN resident evil FIVE fallout THREE gears of war TWO dungeon lords TWO fable TWO rock band TWO mercenaries TWO soul calibre FOUR Battlefield BlahBlahBLyGOEH JHBDFJKNJKNJKNJKLjkdj kBJKLJKB LdjkbKJBjkdhjkd
*snore

Can anyone else remember when Id was a dynamic and original gaming company rather than some weirdass perverse caricature of itself that has been reduced to making sequels of games that actually did something right? Is the industry that scared of doing anything with a shred of originality or uniqueness anymore? The gaming industry in general reminds me of an alcoholic tramp still trying to relive "the glory days" when games could be made by 7 geeks using only their pocket calculators to compile the 15 lines of programming it took and broken speak n' spells to render the graphics while skipping classes that would be otherwise be spent getting beaten up by jocks and laughed at by improbably gorgeous girls and who end up driving red Ferrari's and.... Oh wait...

As my friend Brian just pointed out about the modern gaming industry (he is a WOW player and therefore everything he says is automatically beyond hope of relating to the real world... take that Brian) "A monkey with an AK 47 is still a monkey."

There is only so long that the gaming industry can hide behind pretty colors and cool physics.

To be fair, at least Id is trying something different with Rage... but I can't help but think that it will be "Doom 3 with driving and deserts and PC requirements that would bankrupt a small African nation."

And as for Doom four.... think happy thoughts think happy thoughts think happy thoughts think happy thoughts..... meh

Oh... and the reason that we are discussing something as relatively insignificant as the Doom logo is because deep down, everyone here is smart enough to know that the probability of Doom 4 being an actual amazing game experience is right up there with someone making a commercial game title that doesn't have ragdoll physics or brightly coloured explosions as its main (read: only) selling point.

The problem with gaming is that the definition of "groundbreaking" has changed significantly. Groundbreaking in 1993 was building a whole new engine with countless never-before-seen capabilities for a genre that before then had never existed. Nowadays, groundbreaking is being able to add a few extra angles of shadowing to whatever it is your trying to kill with a weapon that, on a fundamental level, has not changed for 15 years.

The problem with improving on graphics is that, no matter how much one tries to make things more and more realistic, it will still look like computer graphics. Back in ye olde days, games didn't need to be super-realistic to be fun. It was impossible to do that kind of thing given old computers' capabilities. Designers instead had to focus primarily on gameplay. The fact is that it's a lot easier for developers to add more graphic capabilities and prettier explosions to what is essentially the same old shooting game that everybody has been building off of.

And sadly, I imagine that, when (if) anybody ever does something that really IS groundbreaking, I don't think it will be id. :(

Duke Nukem Forever will be groundbreaking. If only for the fact of it actually being released.