Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kaiser

Doom64 EX - Editing Tools and Docs Online

Editing docs for Doom64EX and Doom Builder64 (hacked build of Doom Builder to support the new formats) is available.

Docs can be located here:
http://doom64ex.sourceforge.net/DOCS/Index.htm

I know, there's not a whole lot done for the docs, but I've tried covering all the basic stuff for now as there will be a lot more complex subjects to be covered still.

Link to Doom Builder can be downloaded here:
http://kaiser.startan3.com/Public/Builder64.7z

Reason why I included the source is for others to do whatever enhancements or fixes if interested, because I don't plan on fully supporting this as I have too many things to worry about (Doom64Ex itself is already a huge burden).

Please read the setup instructions and the docs before using the editor. Also, extract the levels from the main iwad in order to see how things work. If there are any questions regarding to mapping or how scripting works, please feel free to ask by either here, or by PM.

Test/Example Maps can be found here:
http://kaiser.startan3.com/Public/D64EX_TestMaps.7z

Alternate Macro Building Tool by Quasar:
http://kaiser.startan3.com/Public/macrocmp.zip

Note that you need to manullay import the compiled macros lump into your wad.

Speaking of which, I'll be porting the Outcast levels and thensome over to D64EX sometime in the near future.

More to come soon. Enjoy.

Note: If you are having problems compiling, try using glbsp manually, as in using the command prompt and use the syntax instead: glbsp.exe <inputwad> -o <outputwad>

ps, here's a screenshot to boot:

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Very nice indeed - I like what you did with the interface, but built-in MACROS editing seems to be a bit hinky. For now I'll be sticking with MACROCMP...

Also of note, there's some very bizarre occurences with nodes not being built properly, but the exact same WAD rebuilt flawlessly under the older version of Builder64 you sent me. Screenshots will follow a bit later, and I'll look into this myself as well... It may have totally been user error

Pretty awesome, but I'm having some serious problems with actually getting maps to work. Nine times out of ten the nodes won't build right, causing Doom64ex to crash when attempting to load the WAD. The one time I did get it to actually work, the nodes still weren't built right, as there were actual parts of the map that were missing completely, and I could walk through some of the walls. O_o

Things are a bit wonky. You need to have at least 100 linedefs and at least 50 sectors in order for the nodes to build all the way. Once your map becomes more complexed, the nodes will start compiling properly.

Once you finish compiling, save again.

Fisk said:

Very nice indeed - I like what you did with the interface, but built-in MACROS editing seems to be a bit hinky. For now I'll be sticking with MACROCMP...

Also of note, there's some very bizarre occurences with nodes not being built properly, but the exact same WAD rebuilt flawlessly under the older version of Builder64 you sent me. Screenshots will follow a bit later, and I'll look into this myself as well... It may have totally been user error

I fixed some issues with the macros. Redownload and give it another shot.

And as I said before, save your level after compiling, so Doom Builder can save the new compiled node lumps in the wad.

Awesome news! Can't wait to try this version of DB out.

EDIT: I can't get the texture thing to load, it keeps crashing whenever I try to select a texture, and yes, I did edit the config file.

tell me where you have the textures stored and what do you have in your config file

I didn't do anything with the textures folder, I left it in the Doom Builder 64 folder. and this is what I have in my config file: texturedirectory = "C:\\Program Files\\Doom Builder 64\\Textures";

Try moving Builder64 to a folder that does not have spaces.
Example: C:\\Builder64\\Textures

Kaiser said:

Things are a bit wonky. You need to have at least 100 linedefs and at least 50 sectors in order for the nodes to build all the way.

Whats the technical reason for this? I might be able to take a look if you tell me what the problem is as I've got quite a bit of experience with the glBSP code base now.

Also, I've been working on a patch for Doom64EX but its not quite ready yet. Basically it allows Doom64EX to be built using Visual Studio 2008 Express and a fair bit of reworking so that it can be built using the latest Direct3D and DirectInput. I know you'll be wanting to replace these eventually with OpenGL + SDL but it at least means it can be built with the latest Microsoft DirectX and platform SDK's. Unfortunately though I'll be pretty busy for the next couple of weeks so don't expect the patch until the end of August.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Finally got it working. Turns out I just wasn't saving after modifying my WAD. :o

Also, MACROS editing is now awesome. Thanks for sharing, Kaiser :D

DaniJ said:

Whats the technical reason for this? I might be able to take a look if you tell me what the problem is as I've got quite a bit of experience with the glBSP code base now.

Also, I've been working on a patch for Doom64EX but its not quite ready yet. Basically it allows Doom64EX to be built using Visual Studio 2008 Express and a fair bit of reworking so that it can be built using the latest Direct3D and DirectInput. I know you'll be wanting to replace these eventually with OpenGL + SDL but it at least means it can be built with the latest Microsoft DirectX and platform SDK's. Unfortunately though I'll be pretty busy for the next couple of weeks so don't expect the patch until the end of August.

The problem is coming from Doom Builder, not glbsp. If you manually use the command prompt (glbsp.exe <input> -o <output>) the level is compiled just fine.

I am also working on making D64EX VC2008 friendly. I fixed some errornous code in WadGen that failed to compile correctly (crashes when creating the iwad), and WadGen now properly compiles and functions correctly.

I also truely appriciate your assistance on porting the code over to the most recent d3d sdk. Unlike GL, some of d3d's more recent stuff just makes me want to hurt someone :\

KingofFlames said:

I did that and it still doesn't want to load the texture window.

I'll look into it. I really don't know why it wouldn't work though.

I see. I can't help with the Doom Builder source (as I don't know the first thing about it) but the problem sounds quite odd indeed.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Another interesting note: MACROCMP generates MACROS lumps with the same exact action lists, but much smaller. I occasionally get unknown Macro errors still when trying to playtest though.

Could it be that Doom Builder is somehow closing the nodebuilder before it has a chance to build the nodes all the way on more basic maps? *wild guess*

Guest DILDOMASTER666

New oddity: Builder64 seems to selectively determine that certain sectors just don't deserve textures. I'll modify an area, rebuild nodes, replace these missing textures and save, then return to find that even more than before are missing. I'll post the WAD itself if necessary.

Fisk said:

New oddity: Builder64 seems to selectively determine that certain sectors just don't deserve textures. I'll modify an area, rebuild nodes, replace these missing textures and save, then return to find that even more than before are missing. I'll post the WAD itself if necessary.

Please do. Thats very odd..

anyone else getting a -1 value for all sector colors? I can't seem to get anything i set to apply, not do the test maps read anything when i click on the sector properties. This happened to me right out of the gate when playing with the editor.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

http://www.zshare.net/download/16529376c56ca51b/

It's the last of 3 maps for a minisode called Scream Bloody Gore (the level names themselves are my 3 favorite songs from this album as well :P). I'm sure you can tell, being stuck so close to completion is frustrating. :(

skadoomer said:

anyone else getting a -1 value for all sector colors? I can't seem to get anything i set to apply, not do the test maps read anything when i click on the sector properties. This happened to me right out of the gate when playing with the editor.

In the sector properties, make sure you set the # of color indexes (field box should be located below the color properties).

By default only 1 is set. Set it to something like 5 or 10, and then you should be able to set a index value on the sector colors, just make sure you keep it below the number of indexes that you specified.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

I tried a little experiment recently - I added 400 dummy sectors to the map to see if I could force this problem to migrate, but it still chooses to remove textures from very specific sectors. I still have no idea what could possibly be causing this after a straight few hours of tampering with different maps.

skadoomer said:

So is there any way either now or in the future to open up the existing doom 64 maps?

As stated in the docs, you can get the maps by opening the iwad in a lump editor (xwe, slumped etc) and extract the map01-map33 lumps. Rename the extention from .lmp to .wad.

DoomKn1ght said:

How to view light index colors? I have only black and white.

?

If you're trying to view them in the current levels, just put your mouse over a sector and you'll see the colors.

Right clicking on a sector should open up the properties and you can see the light settings for that sector.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

This may or may not be relevant, but I received a PM with a bit of help about my WAD troubles, and the sender noted that some sectors were simply not joined properly (with DB's "join" command) even though they appeared to be. A Doom Builder bug in itself I'm sure, but a warning to other mappers regardless. There's also some particularly strange lighting bugs - one or two instances of this may or may not be visible in the WAD I posted. Another good example is Dark Citadel in regular Doom64 EX - the area with the frozen Nightmare Imps behind the Red Key door - in which one sector is quite obviously colored completely different than in the actual cart (this was verified by Bashe).

Fisk said:

Another good example is Dark Citadel in regular Doom64 EX - the area with the frozen Nightmare Imps behind the Red Key door - in which one sector is quite obviously colored completely different than in the actual cart (this was verified by Bashe).

Corrupted when extracting the level from the rom. The correct version will be available in the next build.