Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tangus

[WIP] my first doom map

This is my first map that i think is worthy enough for it to be posted on the internet. I've been working on this map off and on for the past month trying to make it into a learning experience for me. The map's layout is fairly simple and straight forward. I was concentrating more on the "detailing" aspect of doom mapping.

Im still currently thinking up a name for this map and as you can see, its tech base themed :P. So far i'm about 30ish % done.

screenies

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk137/Tangus_2008/untitled2.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk137/Tangus_2008/untitled3.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk137/Tangus_2008/untitled4.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk137/Tangus_2008/untitled.jpg

please feel free to give me any suggestions.

I would recommend not taking screenshots in Doom Builder 3D mode. The lighting gets a bit homogenized and dull looking so we don't get to see any intersting light/dark contrast. I also suggest that you find some other textures than the silver ones you seem to be using a lot. Perhaps some bricks could go where the silver is in a few spots. It's up to you to experiment and find out what works. You seem to be doing well so far. 8)

The Doorstop texture seems to be getting abused quite a bit, but as far as first maps go, it's coming along great.

yeah I'll be sure to take screen shots in game next time instead of 3D mode. I didn't realize how much 3D mode affected the contrasts on the lighting.

i know the doorstop texture is a bit abused, I'll see what i can do to patch some of it up. I just like how the doorstop texture looks.

Doorstop is a nice texture I think, but you're using it in a lot of places where you want a texture that should go horizontally. Otherwise it looks really good for a first map.

I like the overall theme of the map, especially shot 2. Anyways, like others have said, doorstop is a good texture but you are abusing it a little too much (shot 2, for instance) and a few flats do not match well with the textures right above/below them, but that is easily cured. For example, in shot 3 that grate flat does not match with those gray textures. Another thing, some colors are slightly out of place, your choice in flats and textures can be a little odd, like the silver doorstop texure-border has a ciel5_2 flat (ciel5_2 does not go very well with all that gray anyways) and that grate flat does not tend to work well over large areas in general, keep that flat to a minimum. I'd suggest replacing it with the dark hexagon flat (floor4_8 I believe, but i may be wrong) as to not go overboard with gray, and it goes pretty will in most circumstances with any base theme, be it gray, green, brown, tech, military, etc. Anyways, good shots so far and keep up the good work.

Pretty much what everyone else said. I must say it looks very good for your first Doom map, nice work!

I gotta agree that Doorstop is a little overdone. It looks great in the fourth screenie on the left there, but in others, it looks a little out of place. Be careful of using textures that are too "liney" or it makes the map look too... ummm... confusing... not aesthetically pleasing. (For example, too much DOORSTOP, DOORTRAK and then lots of FLAT4) can make it look like there are criss-crossed lines everywhere. Untitled_3 is the biggest offender in this regard.

Be encouraged tho... Overall I like most of your texture selection. The layout looks very interesting and original. Looking forward to seeeing the finished version.

Keep going. :)

Looks very promising for a first map. I like what I see. Sure there aren't a bunch of ugly map abortions that were made before this? Still lurking on your HD, deleted perhaps? :D Just kidding. Keep it up.