Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Death-Destiny

How many pixals tall can Doom render sprites correctly?

OK, I wanted to make a sprite to put some rain in a map I'm making. Unfortunately, there are some areas in the map where the rain doesn't look convincing because the sprite is too short, so the rain doesn't seem to be coming from the sky. Does anyone know any hackish was to trick Doom into rendering a sprite that's taller than 256 pixals or whatever the limit is. I suspect the answer is no, but it can't hurt to ask anyways. =/

[Edit]Oh, and the map is Boom-compatible, BTW.[/Edit]

how about having 2 lines really close together and the 2nd line is offset to make it look taller (similar to how doom2's map 30 'boss' is textured).

If Boom compatibility is required stay below 256.

Otherwise use a port that supports PNG and you can get as tall as you like (although hardware renderers are limited by the graphics hardware - somewhere between 2048 and 4096 mostly.)

gggmork said:

how about having 2 lines really close together and the 2nd line is offset to make it look taller (similar to how doom2's map 30 'boss' is textured).

The rain is a thing though, like a torch or a dead body, so they'd need something to rest on. Actually, now that you brought it up, I could just use dehacked to replace several different things and make each at a different offset and place them on top of each other. I already used a bunch of other Boom features, so I guess that's probably my best bet to stay Boom-compatible. I guess I'd only need to replace two things since that would construct a 512 tall rain thing. Thanks for the idea. =)

[Irrelavant gripping]I knew I should've made this a Zdoom map...[/irrelavant gripping]

Death-Destiny said:
The rain is a thing though, like a torch or a dead body, so they'd need something to rest on.

Not if they hang from the ceiling.

It seems that sprites of over 256 pixels are possible (I haven't tested it myself). See these threads:

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editing/15821-sprite-size-limits/
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editing/15467-texture-size-limits/

Although 509 pixels are possible the format doesn't allow posts to start at anything larger than 255. In other words: For sprites with mostly transparent parts 256 is the limit.