Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Un-named Doom 64 map for Doom2 in progress. (released and on idgames)

This was suppose to be for snipers project: Doom 64 2: The Rising,
but after we had decided that Episode 2 (the episode that i will be making) would be brick/base theme, i decided to continue work on this map first an release it as a standalone
map instead of just sending it to the recycle bin. Afterwards i will start working on the real Doom 64 2: The Rising maps.

This map is tech base lab theme. It uses Doom 64 textures, weapons and enemy's, but still works with what ever Boom port you want to use, i still recommend using skulltag or Gzdoom though since the textures and the lighting simply look allot better in those ports.

Also, since this is just Doom 2 using Doom 64 textures and sprites, i can use Doom 2 enemy's as well, and not just Doom 64 enemy's, that means that even though you will fight mostly Doom 64 monsters, there are still some chaingun zombies/arc-viles here and there!

EDIT: Its done.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=15413

Here are some screenshots:

hardcore_gamer said:

Also, since this is just Doom 2 using Doom 64 textures and sprites, i can use Doom 2 enemies as well, and not just Doom 64 enemies, that means that even though you will fight mostly Doom 64 monsters, there are still some chaingun zombies/arc-viles here and there!

Won't they look odd next to the Doom 64 monsters? It's not the same graphic style at all.

Gez said:

Won't they look odd next to the Doom 64 monsters? It's not the same graphic style at all.

I try not to place the old doom enemy's next to the Doom 64 ones, and no it does not look all that odd at all, perhaps some people will have trouble with it, while others don't.

KingofFlames said:

Agreed. And if this is one map, why don't you try Kaiser's Builder64 and make this for Doom 64 EX?

There have been problems reported with Doom builer 64, like nodes not building correctly, 3D mode not working, textures disappearing for no reason and some other stuff. And besides that i had already begun work on this map before Doom Builder 64 had been released. Plus there are some things that are better about making this for Doom 2 in Boom format instead of Doom 64 EXE format.

Anyways, i am making this for Doom 2 in Boom format and thats final!

EDIT: What do you think about the screens? Do they look good or bad?

KingofFlames said:

I noticed some Doom II textures in there, did you change that since you posted those screenshots?

Nope, there are some Doom/Doom 2 textures used as well, but only textures that seem to go pretty well with the Doom 64 textures. And i don't intend on changing that, so anybody thinking about advising me to change them won't need to.

EDIT: Also, some of the Doom 64 enemy's, like the Doom 64 zombies are not in the map, instead the old Doom/Doom 2 zombies are there instead, the reason for that is simply the fact that they look allot better despite being made out of pixels.

hardcore_gamer said:

Nope, there are some Doom/Doom 2 textures used as well, but only textures that seem to go pretty well with the Doom 64 textures. And i don't intend on changing that, so anybody thinking about advising me to change them won't need to.

welp

You said you didn't want anybody telling you how bad it looks to mix Doom2 and Doom64 graphics (it really does), so I said all I could.

In the third, fourth and fifth screenie, you have these 8 sided light things that are casting a lighted area onto the ground, but the texture on the ceiling looks nothing like a light, but more like a set of gridded tiles or something, which don't usually cast a light shadow. I would suggest either take away the lighted area, or if you want to leave it, add a couple of sectors around each one to blend the light better into the darker areas around it, and possibly consider changing the ceiling texture to something that looks like a light.

Also in the final screenie the door on the left has a blue ceiling texture above it which looks kinda odd, IMO.

In regards to mixing doom2 and doom64 textures, the only one I wasn't sold on was the LIGHTBLU1 texture bordering a couple of the inset areas. Otherwise, the steel pillars and the LITE5 texture bordering the doors I didn't think was too bad. Gotta admit that I am not as familiar with the Doom64 array of textures as probably Essel and others are tho, but thats my thoughts anyway.

But despite these things, I like the look overall.. Dark and brooding and generally pretty good. I think its worth polishing and releasing.

welp <-- cute :Y

(sniper) 109 said:

hardcore_gamer it look's nice!and you don't need to have this as a stand alone one less map for me to make is good.

Hmmmmmmmmm i don't know, i was kind of looking forward to releasing this wad this weekend, i am sorry but i am afraid this map is going to be a standalone :(

But hey! Look on the bright sight! I will have whole 9 maps to make for you once i am done! And i will work hard to make them as fun as possible! :)

Also, would you mind playtesting this? And give me feedback on this? Anybody else can also feel free to send me a PM if they want to playtest.

And like always, feedback would be nice.

EDIT: Don't bother i have already completed the map and uploaded it to idgames.

(sniper) 109 said:

I'd like to test this

It has already been uploaded to idgames, i admit that i rushed the map a little knowing that i had your project to worry about, so i did not feel like spending to much time with this map.

Ty mightn't have moved it to /newstuff yet.

On a related note - I'm currently unable to connect to the master server via FTP. Looks like they're part way through setting up new server software which hopefully won't have a ridiculous 5-user limit.

kristus said:

The shots remind me of Wolfenstein 3d.

Why? There is nothing nazi like about them, and the map is allot more complex then anything from Wolfenstein.

dutch devil said:

*Sigh* because the design of your map is very flat, and I agree with Kristus.

Most of the shots are taken from the same area, there are plenty of places where height changes.

Then it would be wise to include some of those shots next time, instead of showing only shots with an flat design.And the doom64 resources don't go well with the doom2 resources, just my opinion.

dutch devil said:

Then it would be wise to include some of those shots next time, instead of showing only shots with an flat design.And the doom64 resources don't go well with the doom2 resources, just my opinion.

Thats ok, i started this thread to get feedback and i got some :)

Anyways i guess its just a matter of time before the map shows up on idgames. It will probably be there either today or in the next 2 days. Just my guess.

EDIT: flat rooms don't have to be a bad thing, i don't remember many Doom maps where height changes where ever you look.

Besides that simple levels appeal to allot of people, including my self.
Just my opinion.

hardcore_gamer said:

EDIT: flat rooms don't have to be a bad thing, i don't remember many Doom maps where height changes where ever you look.

Of course its not an bad thing, but an entire map containing flat rooms is pretty bad.But you say you have other areas in that map with more difference in height, so it should be fine.

Imo the majority of original (final)doom(2) levels had alot of difference in height, having alot of difference in height really adds to more fun gameplay.

TBH, I quite enjoyed it! Short but sweet. It was a little too simple perhaps but it made a nice wee change. Although it was a bit strange as I (Doomguy) felt a bit short compared to the Imps! Keep up the good work and good luck with your DooM 64 project. Anything DooM on the DS is a bonus (God, I wish someone would port over zDooM!).

Downloading now,I'm sure I'll enjoy it.
Never did understand why Doom 64 didnt do that well when it came out.I thought it captured that doom feel perfectly.

EDIT:I'd like to see the Arch Vile Doom 64 ized

Haloless0320 said:

Downloading now,I'm sure I'll enjoy it.
Never did understand why Doom 64 didnt do that well when it came out.I thought it captured that doom feel perfectly.

At the time games were in true 3D, plus Quake was recently released, so it's not that hard to understand why many people looked down on Doom 64 after having just played Quake either on the PC or even on the Nitendo 64 it self!

Haloless0320 said:

EDIT:I'd like to see the Arch Vile Doom 64 ized

Oh crap! If the arch-vile could only attack with that fire spell thing, then it would be a fun enemy, but i have always hated it for being able to bring my old enemy's back to life! I don't need that in Doom 64 as well!

May I ask why there are two seperate files in the zip, or is it not allowed to include the map with the resource wad?Anyway I played it so overall I enjoyed it to some degree, but there wasn't much of an challenge in it.Gameplay was pretty easy, no real challenging fights :(

The doom64 sprites look humongous next to the doom2 sprites :p

dutch devil said:

.Gameplay was pretty easy, no real challenging fights :(

Yea i know, the map was very easy, thats a very valid point.

dutch devil said:

The doom64 sprites look humongous next to the doom2 sprites :p

I did not rip the sprites and textures i just used the ones that sniper is using for his project. But yea they are pretty big. But i think thats kind of cool. It makes them look very badass!