Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
chungy

Always-run hacks for old Doom versions?

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any config hacks for pre-1.9 versions of Doom/Doom II that enable always-run.

it's mostly out of curiosity; I've been running some old copies in DOSBox and it'd be nice if I don't need to hold down the SHIFT key.

It's possible to set up doom.exe doom2.exe or the final doom exe for always run. To do this you set joy_b speed to either 29 or 31 I think. I believe that in final doom (and maybe doom.exe) 31 does not work. I'm not sure of the specifics though.
edit: this is for version 1.9. I don't know about previous versions.

I'm asking about versions previous to 1.9 specifically. Since always-run is actually a bug rather than an intended feature, it doesn't work the same across all versions (Final Doom didn't support joyb_speed 31, which worked for both Doom II and Ultimate Doom).

I think 29 works for any version. I just tested v1.2 and v1.7, and as per the wiki it works for Heretic (which is based on Doom v1.2).

oh, I'm sorry, without any further explanation in your post I just assumed you didn't realize what I was asking; plus knowing the technical reason behind it, I also assumed it wouldn't work in early versions either.

joyb_speed 29 works in Doom 1.1 apparently, so I guess this topic doesn't have much purpose anymore... heh.