Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Godshatter

door help (new thread)

O.K., what exactly do you want to happen here?

Do you:

a)want both the player and monsters to come through the door
b)want just the player to be able to come through the door but not the monsters
c)want neither the player or the monsters to come through the door

door opens and i want players and monsters to be able to pass through the volume.

i dont want anything to be blocked.

i just want the door to open and everything be able to move through.

O.K., got you. :)

First thing you need to do is to raise the floor of sectors 20, 21 and 23 to be even with the surrounding sectors to get rid of the gap, as only floating monsters will cross those.

Secondly, you have the impassible flag set for lindefs 17 and 89, preventing access to the demon container in sectors 3 and 23. Right clicking on those two linedefs and unchecking the impassible box (under flags) will fix that.

okay now i have another problem that i just now saw. for some reason monster projectiles can hit me when im in that first switch room off to the right (linedefs 19 and 82, though there could also be a problem with the linedefs immediately surrounding sector 28- the sector with the switch in it)

new build (with the corrected doors and an unfinished lift)

http://rapidshare.com/files/136688160/smalltime.rar.html

also, do i need to keep including the .dbs file?

Deleting sector 22 will solve your problem.

And no, you do not need to include your .dbs file.

okay.

what is the .dbs file for then?

and on a design note, do u think the 1 way wall with the revenants is too... iritating to the player? (the inside of that room will be attached to a secret a little later in the level)

im trying to make a level that will be challenging because i know my architecture isnt going to be all that inspired (since this is my first level and all)

Okay. Ive had a look at your map. To answer your question, no I don't think that the revenants behind that red window were too annoying. They were kinda cool actually. I used them to take out a couple of the imps and demons that were chasing me around the room. Killing them took a little work, coz I had to guess where they were, ended up using the pistol to wear them down. But no I didn't find it irritating. I kinda liked the way the map works so far.

Pretty good for a first map. Keep it up. :)

Godshatter said:

what is the .dbs file for then?

The dbs file is what DB uses to remember things like what configuration your using, the map numbers you are using, where any external resources you are using are at, etc.

For you, this is helpful, and it speeds up the process whenever you open up your map to start working on it again. (and you're going to be doing this a bit, unless you're doing a speedmap or the like).

For me, however, I'm only going to open the map once to see it and tell you what's wrong with it. So manually selecting the right configuration isn't a big deal for me.

ah, thank you nuxius.

and thanks for the input kyka.

turns out making the physical map isnt so hard.

the hard part is keeping it visually interesting (details/architecture) and keeping the fights challenging but the ammo/health balanced.

maybe in a week or so i'll have something for testing out.