Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Purp

Support for ZDaemon/Skulltag in Xfire

Anyone that thinks this would be a good idea, please help me out - I think all we need is enough people to post on this thread and they'll add support for ZDaemon, as that's what the forum is for . . .
Xfire Forums -> New Game Ideas -> ZDaemon (classic Doom online)

Anyone who doesn't think it's a good idea:
1. Play ZDaemon
2. Use Xfire
3. Duuuuh

Edited by MaTT [TiK]

4. Xfire is a piece of crap and they've already said No to this idea in the past due to the whole commercial affiliation thing

MaTT [TiK] said:
Anyone who doesn't think it's a good idea:
1. Play ZDaemon
2. Use Xfire
3. Duuuuh

And it still isn't a good idea. Duuuuuuh.

How the hell is it still not a good idea?! Loads of games need Xfire or something similar to let you connect to a friend's game easily. Therefore, as I (and lots of other people) will be running Xfire all the time anyway, it would obviously help if it supported ZDaemon. If you disagree then you're an idiot, or just some tosser who likes to disagree in the forums just for the sake of it (probably because it's the most interesting thing you can do in your life).

Basically, just because my idea doesn't benefit you, that does not mean it's a bad idea!

leileilol said:

4. Xfire is a piece of crap and they've already said No to this idea in the past due to the whole commercial affiliation thing

Hmm, well Skulltag is supported so I can't see why they won't support ZDaemon.

Chu said:

I'm surprised people still play Zdaemon. Didn't know that was still actively around. . .

People still play ZDaemon because people still play ZDaemon. Nah, that's no tautology. Online Doom gaming is a very small niche compared to more modern games. So when you want to be sure to find other players, you go to the servers that still have the most people -- and that's ZDaemon's ones. And since most people behave in this way, ZDaemon's servers stay number one.

"If you disagree then you're an idiot"

Anyone who doesnt agree with MaTT is an idiot? Great way to drum up support MaTT.

No I am not Mattbrat, sorry, I am Lord Lamer - you've probably never heard of me.

And sorry, I didn't mean it to sound like that, not everyone that disagrees with me is an idiot. However, I fail to see how anyone that plays ZDaemon could disagree that Xfire support for it would be useful.

Come on people, follow my link, click Post Reply, type "Support" and click Submit - how hard is it?

MaTT [TiK] said:
However, I fail to see how anyone that plays ZDaemon could disagree that Xfire support for it would be useful.

I'm pretty sure Nes was saying it's a bad idea because using ZDaemon is a bad idea :)

Most people on these forums aren't very keen on ZDaemon policies and, as such, probably won't care to support your idea.

Don't you think it would be a better idea to drum up support, oh, I don't know, on the ZDaemon forums? That would probably be your best bet (and if you disagree, you're an idiot).

xfire is only good because you can chat to people without alt-tabbing. Other than that I have no reason to use it.

Yes Ralphis, you're right I guess. It's just that once upon a time there was a multiplayer forum here, where people loved ZDaemon, and I thought there might be a few people left here who did but you've all abandoned it :(

Cutman said:

xfire is only good because you can chat to people without alt-tabbing. Other than that I have no reason to use it.

No, if ZDaemon was supported I would be able to do what I do with games such as COD4 and just click on a friend's name and click Join Game and it would connect me straight to the ZDaemon server they are playing on. Obviously, as there aren't exactly millions of ZDaemon servers, I can usually find my friends' names in the Players tab of IDE, but I'd still prefer to be able to use Xfire for it, as it would be quicker and easier, and I already have Xfire running all the time anyway.

Chu said:

I'm surprised people still play Zdaemon. Didn't know that was still actively around. . .

At any time, there are at least 25 people playing (yes, might be Brit or ZDCTF mostly, but still...).... On peak times, there are 90+ players.

And more on saturdays, when the ZDaemon Sessions runs. So, take a look this weekend, you might be surprised...

And about the XFire idea... mmm i dont think Zdaemon needs it anyway, the ZDLauncher already has a 'buddy' system.

Yeah, but one of the main things about Xfire is it supports most games, so you don't have to use different launchers for everything. I guess using that would probably be good enough for what I need (I've never really looked at the ZDLauncher because I use IDE) but I still think it would be nice if Xfire supported it.

Edit: Any chance someone else could post something in the ZDaemon forums about this please, even if it's just a link to this thread or the one on the Xfire forums? The reason being I can't log into them, no matter how hard I try - I can't log into my old account, I can't log into the new account I made today (cos I never got the autherisation e-mail) and I can't make any more accounts because, for some reason, no matter what I put in the registration form, it just gives me an error :(

MaTT [TiK] said:

Edit: Any chance someone else could post something in the ZDaemon forums about this please, even if it's just a link to this thread or the one on the Xfire forums? The reason being I can't log into them, no matter how hard I try - I can't log into my old account, I can't log into the new account I made today (cos I never got the autherisation e-mail) and I can't make any more accounts because, for some reason, no matter what I put in the registration form, it just gives me an error :( [/B]

i just revived an old thread, and put a link to the voting thread.

WTH is Xfire? Oh, nevermind. I checked it out. It's an incredibly garbled website which immediately turned me off from ever visiting again. (OK, I may have exaggerated that a tad.)

Xfire is an instant messenger program that also shows what games your friends are playing. It's useful if you play a lot of online games that have no friend list system, such as Call of Duty 4, because you can use it to "one-click join" them. If you've ever used Steam (for say Half-Life 2 DM or . . . dare I say it . . . Counter-Strike), it's similar to that but supports more or less all online games (ZDaemon is the only exception I've noticed out of the online games I play), rather than just ones you've purchased from Steam. Also, like Steam, it has an in-game overlay which lets you use most of its features without having to minimize your game. You can also use it to take screenshots or record videos of your games. Unfortunately, unlike Steam, you can't add custom games to it, so if a game isn't supported you can't use Xfire's features at all for that game, which is why I want ZDaemon to be supported.

If you do decide to take a look at Xfire, here's a direct link to the download page, as the website is so garbled and confusing :p
http://www.xfire.com/download/now/

Anyway, all you have to do to support my attempt to get ZDaemon supported :s is go to my thread in the Xfire New Game Ideas forum - the link is above - and post the word "support". If you already use Xfire then you don't even need to make an account on the forums.

It's so awesome to have a program that steals my memory usage and tells me how much of my pathetic life I've spent playing video games.

MikeRS said:

I hate software that monitors my software usage.

I have software that checks software that manages software usage. Waaaay better than xfire

hardcore_gamer said:

Is it just me, or do most people on Doomworld feel some kind of hatred towards any kind of software that runs in your background (your pc)?

Sounds like the words of a neocon.

MaTT [TiK] said:
Xfire is an instant messenger program that also shows what games your friends are playing.

What is this "Friends" you're talking about? Yes, I know... I'm sad.. :(

MikeRS said:

I hate software that monitors my software usage.

Why? I mean why do people even care that company's keep track on what people like to use on there pc's? Does it really CHANGE anything?

It's not like there trying to find out where you live or what your phone number is.

Patrick Pineda said:

How can you compare that thing to a software that's meant to keep track on your friends that are playing video games. I mean lets say that the software knows that you are playing call of duty 2 for 2 hours a day and sends that information to other company's........then so fucking what?

And by the way, in that wikipedia article it says that there is an option to block the software from collecting data such as what you are watching and how much.

I bet you are afraid of your mailmen.......

There are dedicated server farms collecting and collating stray bits of information on anyone unfortunate enough to have their name and other personal details in the system. In most cases the purpose of the exercise is to produce a personality profile that direct marketers and internet ad-servers can use to pre-select the range of products they'll bombard you with ad's for. For most people having their every move on the internet recorded and analysed is no big deal because they're not aware that it's going on or falsely assume they're not revealing enough about themselves for a third party to work out what makes them tick. What tends to annoy and disturb some people (like myself) are the facts that the information's in the hands of businesses who buy and sell it like any other commodity while having few restrictions imposed on them as to how they can use it.

I'm not afraid of my mailman. :P

Like warez activity by users, corporate access to private information is simply another facet of the ease with which digital information is passed along.