Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kaiser_wilhelm

GZdoom wad suggestions?

I just got GZdoom a week or so ago and I am wondering what you guys consider to be some fun and cool upcoming wads for it as well as some iconic wads for the Gzdoom source port. Thanks!

Enjay said:

Mainly the MP3 music.

This is unfortunate, I dont know if there's a way to change the music, because this mod is a worthy contender for a Cacoward.

EDIT: does the mod have to be in /idgames to be a contender?

Enjay said:

Mainly the MP3 music.

It's not like Sapphire got legal mp3 music in it either. (only reason I mentioned that wad in particular is because it was on your list) So I don't see how that can be an issue.

EDIT: A wad not specifically for GZdoom, but fairly well covered by it (really only miss out on dynamic lights, which are impressive to sya the least. But also not important to play the wad) is High Tech Hell 2
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=13603

It's awesome, and no one should miss out on it.

The MP3 music was one of the reasons - not just the copyright aspect but the size (although I know there are bigger files in the archive). The music, IIRC, comes from games such as MoHAA or Brothers in Arms BTW.

The size if the file is quite prohibitive for me generally. My painfully slow connection (particularly when uploading) made it difficult to upload the file in the first place. I didn't upload the fixed version at all - I relied on Rex to incorporate the patch in his copy, repackage it and upload it (for which I am grateful) - because it would have just been too long and too likely to break to make it worthwhile if I'd done it over my connection. The thought of uploading to idgames doesn't fill me with much joy.

In addition, there is the fact that I hadn't really intended to release the WAD at all but, after a bit of interest, I thought "what the hell" and put it together in a format that allowed it to stand alone. It was never properly balanced or polished for a release in it's own right (eg too many weapons doing similar things - although it's not awful).

I guess I originally thought that I'd put it on on a file sharing server, where those who wanted it would get it and then it would disappear and then get forgotten about.

I suppose that they are all fairly weak reasons but the bottom line is it wasn't really intended as a full "formal" release and so, because of the other issues, I never really seriously considered sending it to idgames. Especially as it could well have gotten rejected.

Patrick Pineda said:

... because this mod is a worthy contender for a Cacoward.

There you have others' opinions. ;) (one I fully agree with, btw. Easily the best thing that got released this year so far.)

Well, that's certainly high praise. Thank you.

Other than what I said about lack of final polish, I don't suppose that I have any objections to it going into the archives. I think there is a text file of the correct format in the zip. If anyone is in a position to send the zip (with an 8.3 character name - preferably "njbgpabh.zip") and a separate copy of the text file to /incoming then I'm happy for them to do it. Whether it makes it into the archives proper or not is another question.

If anyone does upload it, please make sure that it's the fixed version and not the original that only worked with a specific GZdoom svn version. I'm assuming that the fixed version still works with the current GZdoom. I don't actually have a copy of the fixed one myself.

I have to agree...Burghead is among my top 5 favorite wads of all time,Are you working on sequel Enjay?

EDIT:
my top 5 favorite ZDOOM wads
1.The Ultimate torment and torture
2.Burghead Liberation
3.City of the Damned-Apocolypse
4.KDIZD
5.ANHS.wad(It had a system shock feel to it)

EDIT/EDIT:
There's a fixed version of Burghead?I noticed that the my GZdoom crashed when I tried comandeering the mini tank.

Haloless0320 said:

I have to agree...Burghead is among my top 5 favorite wads of all time,Are you working on sequel Enjay?

Thanks again. I know that quite a few people said they liked it but I didn't really realise that people were rating it so highly. Perhaps I should have spent a bit more time polishing it up and balancing the weapons etc (and maybe removing some). Also, behind the scenes, a lot of the control lumps etc have a lot of redundancy in them because these levels were pulled out of a bigger project and I just pared things down until they worked. However, addressing those issues is not something that I'm inclined to do ATM. There is no sequel planned but I won't rule out one at some point either.

Haloless0320 said:

There's a fixed version of Burghead?I noticed that the my GZdoom crashed when I tried comandeering the mini tank.

I have no idea why it crashed there. Could just be "one of those things".

I'm actually not quite sure what you mean by "commandeering the mini tank". Do you mean the minigun in the building? The script to make it work is a little complicated and I now know of at least one thing in it that could be improved (if you play on very easy, it can increase your ammo as you use/un-use it - doh!) but most of what's in the script is simple enough and there shouldn't be anything to cause the game to crash. I've certainly never had a crash at that point anyway.

The fix was entirely unrelated to any crashing. It was to address a very minor issue. There is an SBARINFO lump in the project and the syntax for one of the instructions in that lump changed between revisions of GZdoom. The original release worked with r13 (which was an unofficial SVN revision version) but shortly afterwards, the requirements changed and GZDoom wouldn't start with the lump loaded. The fix was merely an SBARINFO lump with the correct syntax.

zap610 said:

link

I'm really intrigued by that mod. How far along do you think you are?

Probably between the beginning and the middle, the "weapons system" is almost done, I'm starting to haul ass on the mapping, and the concept art is being created. Actually it's probably more towards the beginning.

I dont know how Cheogsh and Cheogsh 2 managed to escape this list. Anyone get a link?

kristus said:

It's interesting, what constitutes as jaw dropping visuals in one game. Is basic design in another. (Not meant to be criticizing the screenshot itself, it's looking pretty damn good, it's just something I reflected on as I saw it.)

That is an interesting point. In doom, that screenshot is pretty stunning and has no doubt taken quite a bit of head scratching and quite hard work to get it just right. If this was an Unreal forum or something, you'd expect to see screenshots like that. Presumably, creating it would have been a lot easier too (I've only done very limited editing with such engines.)

Patrick Pineda said:

I dont know how Cheogsh and Cheogsh 2 managed to escape this list. Anyone get a link?

Cheogsh is in the database and I would have expected to find the other here but didn't.

@Enjay:2nd level,as you make your way through the forest you run across an unmanned mini tank.So I walked up to it and tried to activate it and it crashed.