Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Technician

Bigfoot Found.

I love the way that advanced military technology is incapable of detecting Bigfeet, UFOs, ghosts, etc. but random people can spot such things with relatively great frequency. The carpet in the freezer is totally convincing me that there really is are Bigfeet running about that dedicate their lives to hiding from humans, and that they take precautions never to die out in the open, so as not to be discovered. Until now!!! It's a truly impressive feat that these creatures can live and exist totally independent of the rest of the habitat and biosphere that has been so thouroughly mapped out. Who needs sophisticated scouting techs when sporadic random sightings of a completely out of place creature are all that's needed to capture this guy.

OMG! It's a Bigfoot. This is truly a groundbreaking discovery!!! We ought to celebrate the discovery of this totally incredible race that has lived on our planet undiscovered for decades!!!

Death-Destiny said:

I love the way that advanced military technology is incapable of detecting ... UFOs...

Actually, UFO originated as a military term, albeit with a completely different meaning than what most conspiracy nuts use it for.

I found Bigfoot once, too.

Also, Google News has quite a few other links to the story. The DNA results that came back from the lab (and I'd like to know which lab) show one sequence as being inconclusive, one as being human, and the third being from an opossum.

I'm skeptical of this just based on their behavior.

Bigfoot in Georgia? I bet the Russians shot him!

Prince of Darkness said:

What about the Cuban's? The're closer.

Wrong Georgia

If a ceritifed forensics lab confirms that this is not in fact a rather musky looking carpet, then I might start to get interested

That's a Russian paratrooper in disguise! Americans aren't the only ones who fail at geography.

K!r4 said:

Bigfoot's a marsupial homonid? One sample was 96% Opposum! Did it die after falling out of a tree? Is that why they're so hard to find, either people haven't been searching the forest canopy (not expecting to find them in the treetops) or their brown fur provides better camoflage up there than it does at ground level.

I'm going to have to agree with AirRaid here. This thing was proven a hoax by sasquatch researchers just a couple hours after it went public. It's just a costume with opossum guts dumped on it. It was perpetrated by this guy who has made at least one such hoax before. He does this for attention so he can get advertisement for the shit he's selling. At the same time it's a slap in the face for legitimate sasquatch researchers since it detracts from the credibility of more likely but less publicized sightings.

Death-Destiny said:

I love the way that advanced military technology is incapable of detecting Bigfeet

Except that advanced military technology hasn't actually been used to track them down. Despite evidence, no well-funded organization has ever put money into looking for them (aside from a couple examples in Asia). Any kind of expeditions are undertaken by amateurs using their own equipment.

Danarchy said:

legitimate sasquatch researchers

Oh, I love these things! Here's a couple more fun ones:

Military intelligence
Microsoft Works

So... who would win, the bigfoot or the chupacabra?

Danarchy said:

Well, see, here's the thing. Here's what a legitimate scientist does.

1. Discovers peculiar phenomena.
2. Attempts to explain said phenomena simply, and in the way that fits prior knowledge of the world as well as possible (ie. via Occam's razor).
3. Accepts evidence to the contrary of said theory, and uses it to adapt/reject theory.

Here isn't what a legitimate scientist does.

1. Makes up some crazy-ass theory.
2. Attempts to support crazy-ass theory with small selections of disreputable evidence.
3. Ignores evidence to the contrary of said theory, no matter how reliable or abundant.

Now, every scientist will be biased to some extent. They all want their theories to be proven right instead of proven wrong. But theories that predate their evidence are often just useless tunnel vision. If you really want to learn what's in a dark cave, you don't peer into the puddles for one specific, hypothetical troglobite. You study what crawls about when it presents itself, and not before.

myk said:

So... who would win, the bigfoot or the chupacabra?

Who cares - they'd both make tasty midnight snacks for a bunyip.

Creaphis said:

Well, see, here's the thing. Here's what a legitimate scientist does.

1. Discovers peculiar phenomena.
2. Attempts to explain said phenomena simply, and in the way that fits prior knowledge of the world as well as possible (ie. via Occam's razor).
3. Accepts evidence to the contrary of said theory, and uses it to adapt/reject theory.

Here isn't what a legitimate scientist does.

1. Makes up some crazy-ass theory.
2. Attempts to support crazy-ass theory with small selections of disreputable evidence.
3. Ignores evidence to the contrary of said theory, no matter how reliable or abundant.

Now, every scientist will be biased to some extent. They all want their theories to be proven right instead of proven wrong. But theories that predate their evidence are often just useless tunnel vision. If you really want to learn what's in a dark cave, you don't peer into the puddles for one specific, hypothetical troglobite. You study what crawls about when it presents itself, and not before.

Actually, the organization pretty much does all of the former and none of the latter, so I don't know what you're talking about. They take the evidence (footprints, film, eyewitness reports, hair, scat) and try to rule out anything they can. That is how the whole thing started. Mysterious footprints in a remote area of California. Scientists formed the theory from there, it wasn't the other way around. This organization attempts to sort through all the various bits of evidence and throws out anything that seems too far-fetched. If anything turns out to be a hoax (like the subject of this thread), they will ignore it. They're using the scientific method here. Take their report database, for instance. They have 3 classes of reports there: A, B, and C. A are the ones they find the most likely, and C are the ones that are probable hoaxes/mis-identifications. They don't even post the class C ones (with a few exceptions) on their site. All the conclusions in their FAQ are based off of the thousands of reports and bits of evidence they collected. It's not a bunch of BS they just made up.

So yes, I'd call them legitimate researchers.

Alright alright alright.

But I can't help but feel that if such a huge number of people looked for any specific hypothetical species for such a long time, you would find just as much evidence for it.

I knew some wierdos around here who said they saw a bigfoot chasing some deer up in the foothills.

"Stupid Americans..."

But lets face it, one can believe in far crazier things than Bigfoot/-feet, and as long as the believers aren´t murdering the INFIDELS to prove that they´re right, it´s probably pretty harmless, and surely amusing.

Just think about it, these "scientists and experts" would, without the Biggy, have a lot of spare time to dedicate to fucking up the "real" science issues with their "Christian Science(*) noise-jamming scientific method"...

I hope that the search will continue forever and ever.

(*)A contradiction in terms btw!

I agree with Creaphis. Any imaginary new apes wandering around would have long since been discovered if they were really here and looked for this exhaustively. I guess it's just a fun hobby, like looking for the Lost City of Atlantis and the Loch Ness Monster and whatever other legends someone thinks might be plausible despite contrary evidence. You probably learn some interesting things during your hunt nonetheless. There's no harm in it and, again, it probably is quite fun for some.

Death-Destiny said:

I agree with Creaphis. Any imaginary new apes wandering around would have long since been discovered if they were really here and looked for this exhaustively. I guess it's just a fun hobby, like looking for the Lost City of Atlantis and the Loch Ness Monster and whatever other legends someone thinks might be plausible despite contrary evidence. You probably learn some interesting things during your hunt nonetheless. There's no harm in it and, again, it probably is quite fun for some.

This is what I have thought for some time, namely due to those points and a few others mentioned otherwise. I'd be quite suprised if they found an actual bigfoot, however I think the likelyhood is slim to none. It's just there for either hardcore believers or a simple pasttime.