Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
boris

Doom 3: Phobos back from the shadows

After two and a half years of silence, Team Future is back with a new website for their Doom 3 project 'Phobos' (courtesy of Manc). Other than the website, there's a fair share of new information, promises for more active updating and of course screenshots. The team also takes the opportunity to demonstrate one of their new additions to the Doom 3 cast—an old favourite for most of us, the Arachnotron. So make sure to check it out.

Holy crap that looks awesome. I don't remember seeing the project back then, but now I'll definitely want to play it when it's released. To me it looks like the team's taking what Doom 3 has and combining it with some great aspects from the classic Dooms.
Plus that arachnotron from the screenshot looks exactly like the concept art id made, keep up the good work!

the one, the only Doom 3 mod that the true Doom community still cares about.
the screenshots look good. I especially like the arachnotron, reminds me a lot of the Doom 64 sprite.

Wow, that Arachnotron is awesome. I missed not having it in Doom 3 but after playing that game now I know it wouldn't have fit the style. Here's hoping for Phobos and Doom 4.

Wow, looks great; I'm inspired just from looking at this stuff. Awesome work, guys. Are those small thumbnails the only versions of those screenshots online, though, or did I miss something? (Other than the one shot that's available in multiple sizes at the top of the page)

This already looks and sounds far more enjoyable than Doom 3 was. Please keep it up, because you're doing a fabulous job! :D

Thanks guys. Now, as you may have noticed we're of course always looking for additional help. This is a large project. But the position I personally think is most urgent to fill, is that of a dedicated coder. That would range from simple scripting, to SDK AI coding.

I know there's plenty of coders hanging around here. So drop me a line, if anyone of you are interested.
If anyone else of you who aren't coders, are interested. You're very welcome to check out this page here, to see if there's anything you can help us out with: http://tfuture.org/phobos/?help

@Essel: No, those are the only shots we decided to put up for now. It's a means for us to be able to present more shots than we would otherwise feel capable of. Otherwise we would just sit and polish these shots until we were super happy with them.

Awsome to see the project still active!
Too bad I don't have enough time to contribute levels..

The arachnotron looks epic, just wish the Doom3 cacos looked more like the original.

This is pretty much the only reason I'm keeping Doom3 around.

Khorus said:

This gets a Conehat of Awesomeness from me.

I don't know what a conehat of awesomeness is, but something deep down says that this project is thoroughly deserving of one.

Looks great, those screenies are awesome. And sounds like there are the right people to persevere enough to get the job done.

Am looking forward to this.

<--is possibly the only person in the western world who liked Doom 3 (with a couple of reservations) so am definitely gonna play this when it is done.

kristus said:

Well do our best to not disappoint. ;)

Reminds me of the good'ol RTC days when pressure was so high ;)

DooMAD said:

The arachnotron looks epic, just wish the Doom3 cacos looked more like the original.

I don't. I loved how Doom 3 had complete new (well most) designs. But I wished the Caco didn't look like wet leather wrapped onto a softball.

Wow, the Arachnotron looks insanely good. Looks exactly as the sketch, great work.

Two questions:

- Will the simple shotgun be balanced? I mean that if it goes to resemble the Doom 1 shotgun, it may become too strong. Maybe you could lower the amount of pellets.

- Will the Doom 3 female faced lost souls appear? They're more intimidating than the generic flamin' skulls.

Have you all found a way to put more baddies on screen with out a major frame rate dip? Doom 3 was fun and all but I missed the more chaotic fire fights with groups of monsters.

Also, are going for just pure action in Phobos or can we expect some horror moments in the mod? Like the whole "They took my baby.." moment in Doom 3.

Yeah, more enemies on-screen is definitely a central concern. ROE already went some of the way, but we would like more. Phobos is going to require a better system than Doom3 to run fluidly, so we can throw in a couple of extra monsters on that account.

Phobos will not be pure action, but it will have much greater focus on action than Doom3 had.