Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mordeth

Moving polyobjects around

As I'm about to delve into the wonderful new world of EE polyobjects, there's something I want to ask. Is it possible to use scripting (currently Small, but I understand that is going to be replaced) to move polyobjects around patterns, like going around a circuit or something? Eg. move object X units north, then X units west, etc.

This would require some clever ACS scripting, but it should be doable. Be aware that even with dynasegs, Polyobjects will still exhibit strange behavior if they cross subsector boundaries where the sectors on either side of a line have different properties. Floor height, ceiling height, flats, and light level in particular. As long as you're moving them around in a big open area, they should work just fine.

On a similar subject, I don't know if it's remotely possible at all, but it'd be pretty nifty if there was a Small command to instantly move a polyobject to specified coordinates. It could be used to make, for example, crates that appear to be moving along on a conveyor belt, and then come back on the other side starting in a little hole where the player can't see them "teleporting".

Quasar said:
ACS scripting

Eternity has that? oO

Also, seconded Esselfortium's suggestion (because that precisely the stuff I'm looking into right now).

Yeah I want to add a Polyobj_Teleport special; there's no reason it shouldn't be simple. Polyobject movement is just a series of such instant movements anyway, DOOM being a delta-based simulation :P

In fact I believe I noted the possibility of this in my changelog earlier; I just focused on a Hexen-equivalent level of functionality while implementing the system.

EE does have ACS; however it's incomplete, and there's not any way to use it with DOOM-format maps presently. I didn't really mean to say ACS as much as I meant scripting in general, since all of the ACS line special functions are also available with the same names in Small (albeit prefixed with that annoying underscore for namespace separation...)

Quasar said:

Yeah I want to add a Polyobj_Teleport special; there's no reason it shouldn't be simple. Polyobject movement is just a series of such instant movements anyway, DOOM being a delta-based simulation :P

In fact I believe I noted the possibility of this in my changelog earlier; I just focused on a Hexen-equivalent level of functionality while implementing the system.

Awesome! I thought about requesting something like that a while ago, but I wasn't sure if it'd be doable.

It may be necessary to require map spots for the destination, however, since line arguments are limited when it comes to specifying coordinates (at least they are in Hexen format; ExtraData and UDMF could handle them just fine...)