Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nightmare Doom

Games with good game play but worse voice acting

The original Hitman, if you chose "Italian" as a spoken language. The "characterizations" of chinese/russian etc. characters were comical and stereotypical at best.

Dark Messiah had terrible writing and a shitty story but you won't notice because you'll be too busy kicking baddies into spikes/off cliffs/down stairs/into fire or stabbing them from behind or throwing big rocks or any other the hundreds of awesome methods of dispatching your foes with what I personally think is the best first person melee combat system in a game to date

Nightmare Doom said:
I could consider Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (the english version) as being one of them....

YOUR WORDS ARE AS EMPTY AS YOUR SOUL.

kristus said:
Far Cry, nuff said.

I should shoot you in the face

rf` said:

Strife (but I wouldn't have it any other way)

Are you on crack, Strife has some AWESOME voice acting. The Governor is a great example, his tone is perfect and so is his pace. "Give you a hint, when I stop talking to you, you leave." is probably the most perfectly delivered line in all of videogame history.

khartael said:

Surprising that Deus Ex hasn't been mentioned here yet.

that's because it has good voice acting

Deus Ex: Invisible War, on the other hand... :X

leileilol said:
[Deus Ex] has good voice acting

I hope this is some kind of hilarious Internet irony because otherwise you don't know what you are talking about.

leileilol said:

Unreal Tournament 2003/4

The German voiceovers/translation is one of the worst I´ve ever experienced. Made by people who obviously never even played a game like that.

For example, a pickup message like "picked up a box of bullets" was translated like "Sie haben eine Kiste mit Kugeln aufgehoben", which sounds like "Sir, you have lifted a crate of balls from the floor".

Tetzlaff said:

"Sir, you have lifted a crate of balls from the floor"

ROFL (pause for breath) ROFL

Captain Red said:

I hope this is some kind of hilarious Internet irony because otherwise you don't know what you are talking about.

The only real weak point in the Deus Ex voice acting is in Hong Kong, and possibly Paris.

Quake 4, where marines were under heavy fire from the dreadful Strogg but talked as if they were having some beers.

leileilol said:

Some of the game's (Deus Ex's) voice acting is decent, but quite a bit of it borders on absolutely dreadful.

The most obvious example I can think of is just about every NPC during the whole China part. Oh, and Simon says some pretty funny sounding things, too. "We have you to... take his place. *durr*"

rf` said:

Strife (but I wouldn't have it any other way)

Strife has cartoonish voice acting, but it's professional and well-delivered. I really like it - it suits the game.

Agreed. I don't think Strifes voice acting is bad at all. It's maybe a bit "campy" or comic book, as said, but it is perfectly in keeping with the game and lots of the lines are very well delivered. What's more, for a game of it's time, there's actually quite a lot of it.

AgentSpork said:

Some of the game's (Deus Ex's) voice acting is decent, but quite a bit of it borders on absolutely dreadful.

The most obvious example I can think of is just about every NPC during the whole China part. Oh, and Simon says some pretty funny sounding things, too. "We have you to... take his place. *durr*"

Yeah Hong Kong made my ears hurt, but don't you dare diss Tom Hall.

I've also heard opinions that JC sounds way too laid back throughout the game regardless of how the events going on around him should supposedly affect him. I guess those people weren't thorough enough while hacking the various terminals and putting together his background info from the bits and pieces available in the game.

Splatter said:

Do a barrel roll!

I refuse to play Star Fox 64 now because of the annoying voice acting. I play JRPGs with annoying voiceovers, I can only tolerate so much. X D

Naked Snake said:

Are you on crack, Strife has some AWESOME voice acting. The Governor is a great example, his tone is perfect and so is his pace. "Give you a hint, when I stop talking to you, you leave." is probably the most perfectly delivered line in all of videogame history.

DERWIN

Otherwise you're absolutely correct.

Belial said:

Yeah Hong Kong made my ears hurt, but don't you dare diss Tom Hall.

Haha, I didn't even realize Tom Hall did the voice acting for Walton Simons. Wowzers.

Bashe said:

House of the Dead 2

shit I wanted to say that. you beat me to it.

leileilol said:

A BOMB.

Deus Ex is widely regarded as having mostly poor voice acting, although not entirely.

Actually the only PC game I've ever played with *good* voice acting is Vampire Bloodlines.

Wobbo said:

Deus Ex is widely regarded as having mostly poor voice acting, although not entirely.

I vanted orange. It gave me lemon-lime.

Yeah, I guess it did have some bad voice acting. Most of the main characters and New York NPCs were well-acted in my opinion, though.

Any game which localization team were lazy fucks when it came to the Machinima. FFX,FFX-2, every 3-D sonic game since SA.... Bad, bad, bad. No voice acting can save a cutscene like that when the characters move their lips in japanese.

It makes me think, deep down inside, said games weren't even made for us. As if they're doing us a favor by releasing these games for the Western world. And we should labor to be worthy of buying the system required to play it, and not to question it. It's the most beautiful thing in the world. Nobody would criticize a renowned architect’s blueprint that the position of a gate is wrong. It’s the same as that.

Another example is Rogue Squadron for the N64. It's all too positive. if you fail in a mission to save a building for instance, The Mayor or CEO or something of the company in said building chimes up and says "hell, we were going to tear that one down next year anyway." Shit, just let the Empire do the demolition work next time, Mr. Captain!

Some of the voice acting in Metroid Prime 3 is less than stellar IMO. It's not the actors so much as the writing, I think. Some of it comes off as too cliche and overly dramatic. Mainly, the GF Admiral is guilty of these. He was presented as so generic that it was almost painful. The only thing that saves his character at all is the small shred of backstory he has, stating that he too lost his parents in a Space Pirate raid and thus he has some sort of camaraderie with Samus.

Oddly, the best voice acting in that game comes from the one-off non-unique characters like GF marines and techs. They rarely say anything of interest, but they say it all very well.