Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

The /newstuff Chronicles #325

I never said we should ban him, or anyone, from the archives. Some people genuinely enjoy his maps for some reason. I myself find them a waste of time and in my opinion he is just churning out endless bad maps for attention.

Maybe you're right, but look how much attention has been drawn to him here.

If you had just given a very short, low-key description of the map and a recommendation that it is not remotely worth downloading, then the wad would have probably been largely ignored.

In fact, I hadn't checked a Ruba map in some time, but this made me play the one in question.

Wills said:

Evermore is a godawful waste of time, and I gave it the review that I felt it deserved. Yes, it was nothing but an attack on Ruba. I've played some middling-to-decent maps by him, but no one can honestly deny that he's an attention whore, if not as obvious as Gamarra/Pinky's ass. Anyone who floods the archives with sub-1994 quality levels like his is either not in their right mind or desperately seeking attention (he's a self-desribed "Thai ladyboy"... come on).

So?

This is supposed to be a WAD review column, not idiot bashing. I (and obviously others) don't care about Ruba's attitude and even less about his shitty maps but they still deserve more than the garbage you delivered. This review falls into the same category as AAArgh 2 weeks ago (i.e. the author never even bothered to write something about the level itself that might be useful to others.) Nobody cares what you think about Ruba. What some people might be interested in is the quality of the level you (not) reviewed.

"This level is a bunch of brown corridors with some Hellknights"? How insightful. I made it quite obvious in the review I did post that the level was shit. You're taking this too seriously.

You could have just said "This map sucks."

Or: "This level is a bunch of brown corridors with some Hellknights, and it sucks."

I don't mind people trashing wads. But there's never any reason to get personal.

Wills said:

I myself find them a waste of time and in my opinion he is just churning out endless bad maps for attention.

PROTIP: They would be less of a waste of time for you if you didn't spend time reviewing them.

I like the deathz0r approach: "This map sucks, dont waste your time"

Deathz0r style reviews are still better than harassing the author. Speaking of which, Deathz0r thought a lot of things sucked that I liked. I do wish that Deathz0r-style reviews would at least bother to mention what made the WAD so bad so the review would be useful in helping me decide whether or not to download something. The standard "This sux. Don't download." doesn't tell me anything, so I have to download it anyway to see if it really has elements that should deter me from the download, and then I'm SOL because the review was not helpful AND I may or may not have wasted my time downloading something.

=(

Traysandor said:

(I actually reviewed this before last week's /newstuff came out, but the review I guess didn't get approved in time or whatever. I won't complain though.)

Sigh. How many more times will I have to explain it? The oldest WADs (the ones at the bottom) are the ones that are posted first. If you review something at the top, chances are it will sit there for a while until it gets posted.

myk said:

He night be doing so, under another name.

Really? How do you know that? Who's Ruba, then?

dutch devil said:

Thats exactly the feeling I get when I am playing your maps, they feel like rushed out the door type of maps.Spend some more time and effort on them, I rather see one really good map from you than ten rushed maps.

I think you kind of misread what i said here, the reason for why i did not spend to much time on that map was that i was already working on two other projects, and Crushing Fear was suppose to be for one of those projects, but then the map could not be used so instead of just throwing away what i had already made i decided to work on it a little longer just for the sake of not having to send it to the recycle bin, if the map had been it's own project or nobody had been waiting for me to work on my other work then i would have made it longer and spent more time on it.

wright now i am making a map for Snipers project, and i am taking my time.

printz said:

Really? How do you know that? Who's Ruba, then?

Well, it doesn't seem like it would be too hard to do. Just supply a different e-mail address, and put yourself under a different name in the text file. Wa-la.

Death-Destiny said:

Just for the record: Hey Tango, finish KDIKDIZD, NOW! ;-P

I quit kdikdizd forever

Wait... maybe Ruba isn't even a single person! Perhaps many people in the community, when they hack together a bad level in their boredom that they want to share but don't want to be associated with, just attribute it to Ruba. Spoooooky.

(When the next "Ruba" map comes out, there will be a 4.3% chance that I made it.)

esselfortium said:

Roomba, The Robotic Floor Vac!

Ruba is much like a vacuum cleaner: no matter what gimmicks and variations you add to it, it still just sucks.

Predictable? I said it so nobody else has to.

Wills said:

"This level is a bunch of brown corridors with some Hellknights"? How insightful. I made it quite obvious in the review I did post that the level was shit. You're taking this too seriously.

Whatever you had in quotes there is indeed a far more descriptive review of what the map was than your actual review. If you don't like the author, why did you feel the need to harass him by reviewing his wad?

In addition to what Shaikoten said, I don't think I am quite capable of giving 32 in 24 the review it deserves, so I prefer to avoid it.

Creaphis said:

Wait... maybe Ruba isn't even a single person! Perhaps many people in the community, when they hack together a bad level in their boredom that they want to share but don't want to be associated with, just attribute it to Ruba. Spoooooky.

(When the next "Ruba" map comes out, there will be a 4.3% chance that I made it.)

It hadn't occured to me that "Ruba" might be an alias or another way of saying "anonymous". So when do we commence the witch-hunt to uncover Ruba's alter ego/s? I'd start with Wills. :-)

@Tango - you can quit after kdikdizd is finished.

Sorry to disappoint you all, but:

I AM RUBA!

Just kidding. ;-P

@ Tango: Sorry, you can't quit. It's illegal! They amended international law the other day so that people using the alias "Tango" must complete their contributions to any projects they are working on whose titles have Acronyms longer than seven letters.

Thunderpeak OMG Thunderpeak OMG

@Tango: Hurry up and quit kdikdizd so you can help me work on all of my tasty projects :3. Essel doesn't need your help, I do :(

Death-Destiny said:

@ Tango: Sorry, you can't quit. It's illegal! They amended international law the other day so that people using the alias "Tango" must complete their contributions to any projects they are working on whose titles have Acronyms longer than seven letters.

Mechadon said:

@Tango: Hurry up and quit kdikdizd so you can help me work on all of my tasty projects :3. Essel doesn't need your help, I do :(

Sounds like Mechadon wants Tango to get in trouble with the law.

lupinx-Kassman said:

Well, it doesn't seem like it would be too hard to do. Just supply a different e-mail address, and put yourself under a different name in the text file. Wa-la.

Point missed. Wasn't asking about how to do it. Rather was suspecting that myk is aware Ruba aliases as someone else, and was asking as who.

hardcore_gamer said:

I think you kind of misread what i said here, the reason for why i did not spend to much time on that map was that i was already working on two other projects, and Crushing Fear was suppose to be for one of those projects, but then the map could not be used so instead of just throwing away what i had already made i decided to work on it a little longer just for the sake of not having to send it to the recycle bin, if the map had been it's own project or nobody had been waiting for me to work on my other work then i would have made it longer and spent more time on it.

wright now i am making a map for Snipers project, and i am taking my time.

Sorry but rushing an map out the door just because you have two other projects going is an pretty poor excuse.Don't you think the majority of mappers have more than one project going, I have an big pile of unfinished maps.And I will never rush an single one of it, I take all the time in the world.

Never rush your maps, unless you like having bad reviews all the time.Oh and don't be affraid sending stuff to the recycly bin, 25% of my stuff ends up in there as well.If its not good for some reason, I'm not even going to bother trying to improve it.

And no I didn't misread anything.