Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
andrewj

The Cutting EDGE

The Enhanced Doom Gaming Engine has just released its full 1.31 version. Apart from a whole swag of bug fixes, a greatly improved renderer and a few casualties of war (CD music and demo support were removed), new features include: MD2 models, Lua-scripted HUDs, mirrors, detail slopes, Timidity music, and loaders for TGA images, WAV and OGG/Vorbis sounds. Downloads and changelogs are available at the EDGE website.

For some reason the link to the EDGE page on the front page links right back to DW

This version of EDGE is a real "back from the dead" one. A year or two ago, the general assumption was that EDGE was effectively no more. However, this seems to be a good, solid version that has addressed a number of the problems that I had with older versions and added some very nice new features too.

News title should be "Back from the EDGE". :P

Oh, and the link is messed up as Ralphis said

EDGE website

Glad to see this old work horse back in action. EDGE is a good engine that certainly doesn't get all the kudos it deserves.

Enjay said:

News title should be "Back from the EDGE". :P

Or "EDGE of Reality" - for the Elvis fans. Downloading . . .

Can someone explain what "detail slopes" are? I'm guessing it's the ability to use multiple sectors to detail the slope?

Fusion said:

Can someone explain what "detail slopes" are? I'm guessing it's the ability to use multiple sectors to detail the slope?

I think they're just a visual effect, meaning you'll still need to build stairs if you wish to walk on them.

Detail slopes make stairs look like slopes, but they still work like stairs. Also through my experiments "steps" over 24 units high don't make slopes. They can't be too "long" either, or they just don't work.

Still for most applications they function well enough

Detail slopes are the proof the renderer and the physics engine aren't the same thing. They're slopes as far as the renderer is concerned, and flat as far as physics and collisions are concerned. (That's why a ramp still has to be a stairway.) So since they aren't "functional" they can only be used for detailwork, like making pretty archways, hence "detail slopes".

Gez said:

They're slopes as far as the renderer is concerned, and flat as far as physics and collisions are concerned.

Exactly.

Been playing this and gotta say i'm liking the port, tried it in the past but dint "grab" me but this time it has :)

Sign in to follow this