Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
wildweasel

Submission: new sounds

http://www.sendspace.com/file/28feo3

Included in this package are six new Creative-Commons-friendly sounds for Freedoom. I spend the better part of this afternoon tweaking and preparing them for submission. All of these come from the Freesound project and are pretty heavily modified from their sources.

DSPISTOL - a recording of a Desert Eagle in an open range, mixed with the existing DSPISTOL sound at 75% volume. Tested with the pistol so far, didn't test it on the chaingun (though I'm sure it'll work fine).
DSPODTH* - New zombie death sounds. Surprisingly, people have actually recorded zombie sounds for Freesound, and it didn't take much more than a little trimming and time-compression to get them to fit as death sounds. I'm worried they might be a bit quiet, though.
DSSHOTGN - A coach gun firing, combined with a massively hacked up sound of a shotgun cocking (I slowed that down considerably, then trimmed away the silent bits). Packs a better punch than the previous shotgun.
DSWPNUP - A different shotgun sound that I messed with to make it better fit the weapon pickups. This could also be used to replace DSSGCOCK for the intermissions.

I'll keep at it here - I notice the player has no sounds aside from my horrible DSOOF/NOWAY, so I'll see about collecting/recording some better ones for the project.

Sorry to say this, but if they're based on stuff that is Creative Commons licensed, we can't really use them in Freedoom. Some of the Creative Commons licenses have non-commercial restrictions, which conflict with the BSD license used for Freedoom. Even if there isn't a non-commercial restriction, it's still problematic because we'd probably have to start bloating the COPYING file with Creative Commons licensing terms as well.

All hope is not lost, though. What sound effects did you use? We may be able to contact the original authors and get their permission (or it may be okay to use them anyway).

It's because of these kind of issues that I've always been careful to caution people to get sources clarified before using them, as even websites with "free" sound effects that seem fine might actually not be usable.

fraggle said:

Sorry to say this, but if they're based on stuff that is Creative Commons licensed, we can't really use them in Freedoom. [...]

Well, screw that then...

So you took the first sentence of fraggle's post and you're throwing in the towel? Do you at least understand the reasoning and that there MAY YET BE HOPE?

Mancubus II said:

So you took the first sentence of fraggle's post and you're throwing in the towel? Do you at least understand the reasoning and that there MAY YET BE HOPE?

I do in fact understand, but I feel that it is too much trouble over six fucking sound effects.

WildWeasel said:

I do in fact understand, but I feel that it is too much trouble over six fucking sound effects.

Suit yourself. Seems a shame to me.