Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
peoplethought

ZDOOM: Teleport Blocking

I am using SpawnSpot to teleport a steady stream of monsters to a MapSpot in my map.

A problem is, if I just stand on tap of the map spot, I block the monsters from entering the map.

Has anyone come up with a way to avoid this by making them teleport to the closest free space, or an alternate teleport destination?

I know I could figure this out if I knew how to detect if a monster would be colliding with the player upon spawning, but I don't know how to do that.

I thought I could just use spawn and make the monsters spawn somewhere in the air, like 64 pixels high, then just drop down to the floor. But I can't get Spawn to work.

Ok, I pretty much figured out how do it while writing the post. I just gave the MapSpot a Z of 64, now they spawn on top of your head if you are standing on the spawn.

I would still like to know if anyone has come up with a clever way to make them just spawn in the nearest free space at ground level though.

I haven't tried this but you could make 2 teleport destination sectors and run a script to check where the player is every tick, then move the teleport thing to the other sector if he is in the sector the teleport thing is in. I wish DOOM had Warcraft 3 style teleports though, haha.

This may not be an ideal solution, but it came to mind so I'll share it anyway. You could put your monster-generating teleport destination in a hidden room somewhere, and in that room put many more teleport lines each corresponding to a different teleport destination in the room where you want the monsters to appear.