Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gggmork

very hard nonlinear chaotic map

New map finished. If anyone happens to feel like uploading this to the idgames/newstuff/whatever archive go ahead (edit: nevermind, that text file has no email address as required for idgames.. I'm surprised so many people bother jumping through all these hoops; sendspace is much easier to share something).

On this one I used a new technique (for me) where I only composed with units made with 2 sided linedefs (no 1 sided) which allowed me to make more interesting looking stuff without having to worry about aligning textures much. I copy/paste, but organically. Actually the original was all 50% in size, but like usual doom monster behavior screws up when you have too much intricate stuff on the floor (larger enemies can't step over jack shit unless its a huge slab for them to fit on), so now its half as intricate but everyone behaves ok.

final-version link:
(normal boom/doombuilder map)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/w2ai80

Aww. This map looks really cool too and I want to record a demo of it, but I guess that would be pointless since it would desync. And I was really excited too... =(

Oh well. I'll hang out and wait while you finish this, gggmork. I look forward to it. =)

The only reason I released an unfinished version first was so I'd have an excuse to bump this thread with an update before it slid off into the void with no replies ;P But I got one so.. well I did find and fix one thing though (the last exit switch's action was put on the wrong line).

Anyway, the first post is updated with the final version now (that switch is the only thing I changed). Still havn't beat it, so all well if it has more kinks.

Interesting, somehow reminds me of nuts.wad. Difficulty levels would be cool for less-skilled players like me, although it's up to you.

Even though I wish there was more health/armor/spheres and rockets, the way it is now gives it an extra feeling of panic which is also cool. I did a max demo in 29:22, but it's slow. Crazy map. If you and Death-Destiny uploaded your maps to /idgames as well, I'd rate them 5 :) I'm a nice rater.

That was very fun to watch :). I need to make better gameplay next time especially after the beginning, after which the chaos dies down if you choose to do each switch individually, and overkill on # of cybers at the end probably.
I wouldn't mind bad reviews, but uploading there seems to be a ftp, text file and email requiring hassle relative to a file hosting site. I've mostly been attempting DD's Elysion (makes maps faster than I can play them).

It was ok. The biggest threats were the archvile in the beginning and the stationary hitscanners, after taking care of those it suddenly became a lot easier. There were a little too many stationary missile monsters to my taste since you can pretty much ignore them once the freely roaming ones are dead. Especially so in a map with this many obstacles to make homing revenant missiles mostly harmless. The blue skull area was pretty much a joke after the more intense start. A lot of free space to run around in and hardly any enemies to pose a challenge. Archies and masterminds are really easy when you can just charge them with a bfg. :(

Yeah, I agree with all that now. Thanks for the feedback. Do you have any demos of other people's maps or compet-n records by chance (you seem to be quite skilled)?

Got it! YES!!! I finally figured out what I was doing wrong. Apparantly, I want to get the BFG ammo from the corner and use that to kill the Living Barrier instead of with rockets (You'll see). Man, that map was a blast. I think I'm starting to get some inspiration for a new map now, but maybe I ought to finish some of my other stuff, first, like the Boom map I reference in Abyssion's thread or the Zdoom map I started the other day. :S Well, I guess if I make a short 'n sweet map...

Anyway, enough rambling from me. Here's ggg001.WAD in 12:35, recorded with PrBoom V2.4.8.3 -complevel 9: DOWNLOAD

That Cyb fight was crazy. How many Cybs were there, like 32? That's got to be the most intense Cyb fight I can remember playing (not counting nuts.WAD and it's clones, of course). This map was really chaotic. I always felt like I'd get shot in the back if I didn't keep moving. I didn't end up using many rockets, because a Lost Soul would always dutifully fly in my face out of nowhere so I'd suicide myself.
=(
Anyway, fun stuff gggmork. You make me jealous that you can make good maps with only copy/paste. =D

Ha ha, that was awesome and very fast. I've been working out a route for Abyssion now (so far I do a plasma grab similar to your bfg grab but luckily mine is at the beginning :P) so will probably bump that thread with a demo eventually.
I'll probably devise a better way to test future maps more incrementally (instead of mostly composing later parts blind since I rarely get that far). Too bad zdoom doesn't have a 180 degree turn key (since I now habitually press it to no avail in zdoom).

Death-Destiny said:

the Living Barrier

Yeah, is that actually meant to be there? It looks like a bug. I thought it was maybe a ZDoomism or something because I have this vague notion that ZDoom allows stuck monsters to move apart from each other. Please correct me if I'm wrong about any of this :)

ha ha, I'm gonna submit 'The Living Barrier' to the doom beastiary (not, but I did it on purpose just to be weird, kinda like the redundant blue keys.. and because I don't know how and am too lazy to code/script interesting stuff).