Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tann&Jerri

Doom and Machinima

Though my first post should be a productive rant instead of attention whoring around an old community.

Played Doom ever since I was a kid and forgot about for a while until I got steam and downloaded pretty much all the Doom games and went through them all in a month, thus satisfying my hunger for finishing a classic I was never able to finish.

I surf the net sometimes and contribute to wikis and similar sorts of websites. I enjoy all sorts of humor every once in a while, though, I don't personally approve of everything I come across at first.

I hope you all know what a Machinima is, because I am not going to explain. Go lurk moar.
Yeah, sure. Sometimes they're extremely lame, but a few are fresh and go beyond the usual gaming humor.

Anyways, here is my question:
Why Doom doesn't have any part in any of these despite having such 'hardcore' engine of ID tech 4? Hell, I bet you can even make a series with simple sprites by animating and adding voices to em'.

Any thoughts about doing Machinimas? Any one wants to exchange thoughts?

Tann&Jerri said:

Anyways, here is my question:
Why Doom doesn't have any part in any of these despite having such 'hardcore' engine of ID tech 4? Hell, I bet you can even make a series with simple sprites by animating and adding voices to em'.

Doom doesn't use Id Tech 4. Or 3. Or 2.

Edit: Unless you're talking about Doom 3, but your post sounds like it's Doom I/II related.

Doom humor 99% of the time isn't funny.
Doom action and horror 99% of the time cannot be applied to machinima without being completely over-the-top and cheesy.

Coopersville said:

Doom humor 99% of the time isn't funny.

One of the most notable exceptions being "The Green Pile". Not machinima, but certainly Doom humour.

Enjay said:
One of the most notable exceptions being "The Green Pile".

It's not something I laughed my ass off over, just cute.

Anyone in the Doom communities ever thought of making a mod like Gmod for easy manipulation of the models/textures/objects/etc?
Surely someone might have wanted to make things easier and more fun to handle, right?

YMB said:

Doom doesn't use Id Tech 4. Or 3. Or 2.

Edit: Unless you're talking about Doom 3, but your post sounds like it's Doom I/II related.

I was actually referring to all three Dooms and their engines. Sure, they can't do the same things, but they can both do the trick.They both have their high and low points which can be taken advantage of.

leileilol said:

Things like Impse are too 'in'.

Most of this community doesn't care about Doom 3, and the two examples given are as about as good as you're going to get from here.

Is this the project approval committee? Just make one, if it's good/funny maybe the idea will catch on. As seen in some wads already ACS would make short work of it.

I did a machinima just with myself playing the game and such and taping it with fraps. It was about the Doom Guy's relationship with a cyber demon. The song was a byrds song called: All I really want to do (is be friends with you).

I was wondering if a mod could move this to somewhere where we can talk about both Doom I/II and Doom 3's Id Tech engine Machinimas, because both egines matter when it comes to Machinima.

Don't worry, you can do that here. A thread that talks about both Doom engine and Doom 3 engine stuff is fine here, although it could eventually be moved to Doom 3 General if it were to become predominantly DOOM 3 oriented.

I understand how you feel about Doom 3, but the engines capabileties have to be taken into account as much as early Doom engines. You can makeuse of whatever as long as you know how to manipulate the objects. Don't let your prejudice or simple dislike of something get in the way of being able to create a machinima. Machinima is not a very shiny example of art, but it still better than nothing.

myk said:

Don't worry, you can do that here. A thread that talks about both Doom engine and Doom 3 engine stuff is fine here, although it could eventually be moved to Doom 3 General if it were to become predominantly DOOM 3 oriented.

I understand.

I'll be including example for both engines -things that have already been done- mostly from videoshare websites to warm up the topic.
I can only think of base and concept ideas of an appealing machinima. I really can't create one because I neither have the hardware or the time to make one.

Anyone wants to join in, add ideas, critisize, share and think that their idea would be appealing to the intended audience, you're very welcome to step forward and have your say and present concepts or make them happen.

Doomworld is certainly not mine/your personal army. Don't treat it like that.

Think this would be fun/exciting/productive? keep this thread. If not, I won't mind, do whatever, that'll leave me more time to learn Mandarian.