Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
icoz7

How could I create a one-way see through wall effect?

For purposes of this wad I'm making (my first serious attempt) I'm attempting to make a solid transparent wall, which monsters in a room on the other side can't see through and can't throw projectiles at me through. The player is on a raised walkway, and the monsters are in a pit below. I thought maybe stacking a linedef right in front of the transparent wall would do the trick, but the monsters can still see through wall and shoot through them (...?). I kind of don't get why the monsters are seeing me through the wall and shooting through it. Any and all help is appreciated.

I'm not quite sure it's what I'm looking for. It seems to be in the same vein as what I've spent a few hours testing out, but I can't seem to figure out the right combination of lines and settings to get it to work. :/

make a window and put a 1-unit wide self-referencing sector in it 1 unit away from each edge of the window.
the self-referencing sector will be invisible (crystal sector)
and will effectively block all projectiles and monsters' sight into your sector.
hit-scan weapons might have a very minimal chance of making it through because of the 1-unit space between the window edges and the SR sector.

The simplest and most effective way that I have discovered to have a transparent wall between you and the monsters is to build a regular wall between you and them. Place a sector between you and the monsters. Now raise the floor height of this sector until it is above your head (can be within one unit of the ceiling but must not be touching.)

Now place a sky texture on the "floor" of this wall (ie the top of the wall that is above you) and then you will be able to see through the lower texture beneath the sky texture, effectively creating a barrier that you can see through, but the monsters cannot. Neither of you will be able to shoot through it.

This works in ZDoom, I haven't tried it in other ports. I think it will work in most ports though because this is a trick to do with the fact that the Doom engine renders sky textures differently than other textures.

Hope that helps. Good luck with it. :)

Good call, Kyka. It's a little cumbersome, but hey, it gets the point across. Thanks.

From what see, you pretty much want something you can see through but can't be harmed through and not wake up the monster(s), have them not able to shoot through... Under ZDoom Configuration of Doom Builder, I can help:

Make your window, use a ice/glass texture on the window linedef--
[---]
The - represents the window, pretty much having 2 rectangular sectors, the linedef in between is placed with the texture of ice/glass (but your choice to experiment) and set Linedef Action 208 (Translucent), in the box type in a number between 80-255 (If you set on 80, it'll be translucent, if 255, it'll solid).

Theres my tip, as much it'll be said better on the Zdoom Wiki.

[EDIT/] I almost forgot to say have the "Block Everything" Flag on, you can still see, just not shoot through. an to make it seem one way, on the end where the monsters are, set a texture there and on the side you see through is left blank?

Guest DILDOMASTER666

1. Make window sector
2. Make sector inside window sector
3. Raise inner sector to 1 unit below ceiling

Done