Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

the joy of doom, and one bad PC

today i brougth the joy of doom to a newbie on a terrible pc. after installing doom2 i go to start it up, but after the loading screen is finished it goes to windows. I then think "OH SHIT! this is windows ME" so i ask the owner, another computer fanatic who sadly has not kept up on newer stuff. He yes it is windowsME and then told me he had to reinstall every thing when an atemp to install a camera crashed windows! I then downloaded doom legacy so they can play doom but after it is done i get something i have never seen. I look at the legacy.zip file to see a strange icon so i think "must be useing something else besides winzip" i click and the the fallowing message" this file is not a valid image file!" What the hell! Image file! WTF is up with this pc, it was just redone? so i download winzip and set zip files to that. then to check other things i look at the system performance only to get a horrifing resopnce, 58%! HOly shit no wonder it crashed and he said it was worse before. I then show the guy some new tricks added to windows and turn off most of the junk in the system tray. This thing streched half way across the bottom of the screen before i shut that shit off! i then showed him the so called added tricks, msconfig and other commands, basic to windows but the guy has not kept up on it sence dos. after setting this PC right and its owner we enjoy a relaxing game of doom and i walk away with $50 in my pocket fro fixing the many basic problems that can destroy a good pc. who knows maybey we will see this newbie on here some day asking about doom, or a simple pc error.

You did uninstall WindowsME and put an operating system on, didn't you?

it still has windowsME still on it. he installed it after it crashed. the only thing i did was set it up correctly and turn off all the systray shit that was not needed, which was most of it except the virus scan and systray