Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tango

Playtest me, playtest me (finished!)

I've had this map for over a year but I've never finished it. It's gone through a lot of changes since it started (map02 is the original map from 2006), and if I keep it on my hard drive any longer I'm going to keep making changes periodically and never release it. So here it is.

It's fairly short (similar in size to most of my other speed maps), especially for something that's been in progress for over a year. Gameplay is fairly difficult (at least for me) and it's very straightforward.

final download: (updated Jan 02 200nine)
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=15548

Compat with PrBoom is what I'm aiming for though the last time I tested with PrBoom was probably last year. I've been running it with Skulltag for the most part.

to do:
-add a bersek pack
-add difficulty settings
-find some new music
-revise gameplay in the final room

Test a TangMap? Sure!

I'm surprised you thought it was difficult...I suck and I was able to beat it on the first go-round pretty easily on normal difficulty. Obviously it's beautifully detailed...I guess the only thing I can really suggest is possibly tweaking the very end of the map, past the red key door. That part of the map, right before the exit, felt entirely too easy compared to the rest of the map...especially since you could hit the exit switch before those monsters teleport in. I would suggest delaying the opening of the doors to the exit switch room long enough to make the player deal with the spawning monsters in that area. Also, if it were me, I would probably have some bars lower from the red key door to restrict the player after you hit the switch in that room...then have it reopen at the same time the exit door opens.

Awesome map though, I really enjoyed it :D

I'll playtest it for you. If you could read and reply on my previous thread, noone seems to give a damn about it.

Mech: Thanks! I agree with you about that part. Also if you were able to beat it on your first go, you must not suck, because it took me a long time to beat it on UV :( Did you find the green armor secret, by the way?

Tango said:

Did you find the green armor secret, by the way?

Nope :(. I searched for secrets in all of what I thought would be the cliche usual places...but I didn't find any.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Yay! it's a new TangMap!!! I don't think I've ever mentioned this to you, Tango, for lack of a good opportunity, but I love every map I've ever played by you. I already know I'm going to love this and I haven't even downloaded it yet. I'm going to download this right now and play it so I can give you some useful feedback.

Double post acknowledgments, etc.

OK, I played your map just now. It's a quality level just like I thought. It seems technically sound, but I've just got a few suggestions you might be interested in. 3 Mancs should appear after you get the blue key, but apparantly only if you jump off the ledge. The first time around, I got the key then walked down the steps and around the building to collect some stimpacks or something and I was wondering where the last 3 enemies were. Maybe they should appear from getting the key instead of jumping off the ledge. The only other suggestion I have is related to the teleport ambush at the end. i actually think it seems easy simply because the enemies take so long to teleport in. This is because they walk across the teleport lines and hang out in the 64 unit deep area past the trigger and hang out there for awhile before walking away from the player and recrossing the line. If you were to rotate the teleport rooms by 90 degrees, then the demons would walk back and forth over the line and teleport in far faster.

Just some answers to your other inquiries. I found the armor secret. It seemed very intuitive and well done to me. I didn't find the map to be very difficult. I wouldn't call it easy either, but the fights keep the player attentive, though. I thought the hardest aspect of this map is the wide-openness of it and realizing where the good places to find cover are. I see you made sure to dutifully match all the flats to the adjacent textures. ;-) Excellent job. I really enjoyed this.

[Edit]Seeing Myk's post following this one, I'd better mention that I tested this with PrBoom V2.4.8.3 -complevel 9[/Edit]

Nice level, the gameplay is hard but reasonable. The older version from '06 is crazier, though.

The sky is unnecessarily messed up in Doom+ (because the patch is 512 units long). I fixed it here by splitting the texture into two patches. The TEXTURE1 lump seems to have junk in it (I think SlumpEd does that), so it gets corrupted when edited in XWE. I had to use Deepsea (since SlumpEd itself crashed around like an hysterical bitch when I tried to use it on the WAD).

The light textures are also buggy in v1.9 behavior:

Wow thanks dudes.

Death-Destiny: Haha thanks man. Which of my maps have you played, btw? As for your advice; I'll make sure I change all that. :) I think at one point I revamped the gameplay in the map, only leaving that last room unchanged.

myk: great, thanks! :D I'll use that fix for future versions. Thanks for pointing out the lights too; I'll try and fix that.

That was interesting playing 2 maps so similarly remixed. Looks and plays great, challenging but not insane (but still trying to do it as fast as possible can make almost any map much more difficult). Agree about the blue key trigger (in map 1 I think). I think I like map 2 better; which is the new one?

Nice looking map! Was fun too for the most part, although I felt gameplay didn't compliment the map much, just dudes in rooms.

Took about twenty tries. It was much easier for me to charge through the level than slowly work through it. Time to complete was 43 seconds. Fun factor I would give 7/10.

SpeedyShare is showing me the "Bad Request" page again. Could someone mirror this wad elsewhere?

EDIT - Thanks myk. Must be time to get my eyes checked.

Light textures act weird in ZDoom. Sometimes they seem blue, sometimes they seem devoid of color altogether. And until I got there I thought the blue key door was just any old door, probably because of that. Also the final fight didn't really feel like a fight at all, not compared to the rest of the map. And my other problem with this wad is that its been on your hard drive for over a year >:|

I'll probably just give those lights a deeper shade of blue. Remaking the final fight is still on my list of stuff.

Thank you for the feedback.

http://www.speedyshare.com/819343538.html

This should be it. If you want to play through it again (perhaps on multiple difficulty levels?) I would appreciate it. I think I've done all that needs to be done, including revising the final battle for all difficulties. Unless there's anything major I'll probably release this sometime within the next few days.

Tango said:
final download: (updated Jan 02 2008)

I'd hoped to find a newer version. Never mind - this'll do for now. :-)