Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
swordgrunt

Project - need opinions

Why am I posting this thread?

Short answer: I want to know if someone may help me on a megawad project.

Long and detailed answer:

Hi guys. I want some opinions in a megawad project I started. I plan to make 32 levels for it, I've finished 6, and am building the 7th.

I know it's not good to have a megawad as a first project, but I have so many ideas that fit in a single game, the whole plot made already... and much thing changed with Dehacked. Most of the changes are level names, monster hit points and messages displayed.

I'm not posting any details about the Dehacked changes or the plot as I cannot upload the wad now. I'll probably put the wad in a quick upload site this evening.

If anyone wants more details, just e-mail me (swordgrunt@gmail.com) or post here if you prefer.

Well, if you don't show anything few people will get interested enough to help. Maybe some screen shots?

Also, it's best to state what engine(s) you aim to make it for, if you've decided, as some people have preferences in this respect.

Actually, I plan to make it more general; I haven't added any engine-specific feature yet. If I do make it only for a type of engine, it'll probably be ZDoom compatible.

Since I'll only touch at this wad tonight, then I'll post screenshots later. Thanks for the tips.

Swordgrunt, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.
It's hard to offer to help with nothing to go one. =(
I can infer that a megaWAD will have 32 maps. Screenshots or something would be more useful.

Ok, I've taken eight screenshots from the two most advanced levels. Take a look.

Screenshot 1
Screenshot 2
Screenshot 3
Screenshot 4
Screenshot 5
Screenshot 6
Screenshot 7
Screenshot 8

What I need (but not now) is something like DECORATE that can create new monsters. I need to make a single one, or at least a new projectile (I could transform the Commander Keen in a new enemy just using Dehacked.) I couldn't get that DECORATE lump thing neither does my ZDBSP work so I can't do that for now.

Looks like you might want to spend more time working on mapping fundamentals than worrying about decorate

Um, yeah. Maybe I can refine your levels for ya? Ill just fix all the bugs and texture issues, if you want.

You might want to unpeg/offset the sidedefs in screenshot 8. I can't give as much advice as a lot of people here but I at least know it is important to align your textures.

Also in most cases you should change the ceiling height when you change the ceiling flat in an adjacent sector, same with floor height/flat. Yes, I am referring to screenshot 1. Maybe the ceiling is being viewed at such an angle that you can't see the height change, in that case I blame the screenshot. :P

How did you get the effect in screenshot 5? The bars/rails sort of sinking into the water without clipping.

swordgrunt said:

Hi guys. I want some opinions in a megawad project I started. I plan to make 32 levels for it, I've finished 6, and am building the 7th.

If the screenshots are from your best maps then I have to agree with Ralphis - you should spend more time mastering the basics. Everybody's first maps suck so you'd be better off starting with single maps of small to medium size while learning from your mistakes before tackling an ambitious project like a megawad. I'd put this project on the backburner for now.

Judging from the screens, the map looks a bit blocky, and not much fun IMO :/. However, this is common for someone's first few maps.

Like most have already said, it would be best to brush up on your basic mapping skills before you move onto something like a megawad, much less a megawad for zdoom. I would suggest you browse through some well-made maps, to see how the authors made them fun, perhaps borrowing ideas here and there, and creating your own.

Yep, you definetly need more detail and texturing in those maps as judged by the screenshots. Seems like you may need to improve the balance between monsters and player/ammo/weapon, that horde of revenants and hell knights on screen 3 looks awfully unfair for instance.

CeeJay said:

Yep, you definetly need more detail and texturing in those maps as judged by the screenshots. Seems like you may need to improve the balance between monsters and player/ammo/weapon, that horde of revenants and hell knights on screen 3 looks awfully unfair for instance.

Don't know about balance. The monsters wouldn't look out of place in HR2 (the lack of detail would :P).

CeeJay said:

Never heard the term, "the more the merrier"?

Spleen said:

Don't know about balance. The monsters wouldn't look out of place in HR2 (the lack of detail would :P).

I may very well be asking a very stupid question, but what is HR2?

An enclosed narrow room filled with atleast 4 revenants and 4 hell knights doesn't seem very fun to play. Challenging, yes, but unless there is sufficent ammount of health and ammo around it wouldn't be fun to play. My opinion anyways.

kristus said:

Never heard the term, "the more the merrier"?

Yes, off course, i have nothing against facing multitudes of enemies at any-one-time in a map, provided that:

A) The monsters are well placed and there is sufficient health and ammo lying about.

B) It isn't over, over, over the top (NUTS.WAD)

CeeJay said:

I may very well be asking a very stupid question, but what is HR2?

An enclosed narrow room filled with atleast 4 revenants and 4 hell knights doesn't seem very fun to play. Challenging, yes, but unless there is sufficent ammount of health and ammo around it wouldn't be fun to play. My opinion anyways.

Hell Revealed 2, one of the best and hardest vanilla megawads there is. Get it :P

Ok guys. Thanks for the advices. I'll put this project down for some time.

Now, thanks for reminding me of the unpegged attributes, I completely forgot of them. I'll explain some absurd factors you've seen...

-Sector height/texture: the ceiling is slightly lower than the surrounding ones, as well as the floor is slightly higher.

-Insane group of enemies: these groups can be fought separately; each hall leads to a fake switch, and when you walk near it, the ceiling raises revealing a group of either 6 Hell Knights, or Revenants. After both are activated, a larger group of Imps is released in the first room. Thus, it's possible to fight each group separately, although in the time I was taking the screenshots I was trying to make them fight among themselves...

-Slime area: that is around the worst thing I made in the levels... I'll definitely change that when I come back to the project.

-Bars in the water: Skulltag often messes my textures; that has happened in other levels, although never in Doomsday.

Actually, the only real parts with open areas are the screenshots 6 and 7. I've made a larger open area in map 1 but I didn't take any screenshots. Also, the level only had zombies (something that needs to be changed)
This also happened with me when designing for another game (Gruntz); even though it was 2D, the problem is the same (I tend to design small closed spaces). I've noticed that almost every good map has a large open area with a reasonable amount of enemies, along with health and ammo. I'll try to follow that.

Hey CJ, This is Hell Revealed II. It's been around for several years, so you might have played this already. This is one of my all-time favorite megaWADs. Good gameplay, aesthetics, and music. It's supposed to be really hard, but I actually think it's just an unusual gameplay style. Once you play enough HR2 maps, you get used to it, IMO.

@ swordgrunt: Don't get too discouraged to put your megaWAD on hold. You'd be surprised how dramatically your skills will improve once you get very familiar with your editor. Even after a few honest attempts at making a couple of maps, you'll be able to see the huge improvement for yourself. I'd be interested to give criticisms on such maps that you make in the future.

Just about the texture clipping in the 5th shot, midtextures clip like that if the sectors they divide have the same floor height and light level. If you don't want this effect, change the floor height or lighting of one of these sectors to + or - 1 unit and it shouldn't do that.

Thanks for the encouragement Death Destiny.

What I aim to do now is a short WAD of around 3 levels. They'll be based on PARTS of 3 levels of the previous project. I hope to have them ready in not much time. ;D