Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CeeJay

NEW(ish) *unfinished* MOD

Hello everybody. I've decided to release what i've done so far on a project i've been working on on and off for a quite a while. At this point it is merley a weapons mod, but i'm quite proud of it so far.
In case you missed it *THIS A UNFINISHED MOD* which probaly contains hundreds of bugs & experimental/temporary/unfinished stuff. For example: that ugly looking badly-animated revolver is NOT for keeps.

here you go, grab it while it's hot:
http://rapidshare.com/files/141236895/HHbeta.zip.html

It was made for EDGE 1.29 but it appears to be working on the new version (1.31) but with some weird glitches (such as the dynamite weapon not appearing), i recomend using version 1.29. Just unpack the contents into you edge folder and execute the bat file (if you're using newer versions, edit the batch file to delete the GL in front of the EDGE32.EXE). I am not sure if i'm going to continue working on it or not. It does have potential though and think it would be cool to somewhat finish it. Any suggestiongs, ideas and feedback in general is highly appreciated.

who are you again? haha, I will download this when I get a chance. If I want to finish the mod, will you let me?

Patrick Pineda said:

... If I want to finish the mod, will you let me?

That's a big if. If i were to let you or anybody else continue working on it, i would probaly wish to supervise the project.

The original idea for this was to make a new stab at a Zombie TC. To the best of my knowledge this has only been done once, and attempted at another time.

Ok, since i recieved no feedback on my previous thread i'll try again. Over 150 views and only a couple of replies, am i doing something wrong here? It's not like i'm asking for much.

CeeJay said:

Hello everybody. I've decided to release what i've done so far on a project i've been working on on and off for a quite a while. At this point it is merley a weapons mod, but i'm quite proud of it so far.
In case you missed it *THIS A UNFINISHED MOD* which probaly contains hundreds of bugs & experimental/temporary/unfinished stuff. For example: that ugly looking badly-animated revolver is NOT for keeps.

here you go, grab it while it's hot:
http://rapidshare.com/files/141236895/HHbeta.zip.html

It was made for EDGE 1.29 but it appears to be working on the new version (1.31) but with some weird glitches (such as the dynamite weapon not appearing), i recomend using version 1.29. Just unpack the contents into you edge folder and execute the bat file (if you're using newer versions, edit the batch file to delete the GL in front of the EDGE32.EXE). I am not sure if i'm going to continue working on it or not. It does have potential though and think it would be cool to somewhat finish it. Any suggestiongs, ideas and feedback in general is highly appreciated.

Dutch Devil's right. Text is good to have, but people become much more interested in something when they can see something concrete for themselves that grabs their curiosity. I bet if you post 3 or 4 screenies, you'll get tons more replies.

Try not to post multiple threads about the same subject, please. The original thread is merely two days old. If your original offer (a link to the file) didn't attract attention, try adding something (maybe shots like the guys suggested), rather than just complain that people don't seem to care.

The screenshots wouldn't be showing a lot. There is only weapons, no new leveles or textures.

I tried it. It seems to work pretty well with EDGE 1.31. There are quite a few things that I've seen before, but it all seems pretty well put together and, on a shot run at least, it felt pretty well balanced.

Enjay said:

I tried it. It seems to work pretty well with EDGE 1.31. There are quite a few things that I've seen before, but it all seems pretty well put together and, on a shot run at least, it felt pretty well balanced.

Thank you, Enjay!

Death-Destiny said:

... I bet if you post 3 or 4 screenies, you'll get tons more replies.

Wow! You're right! It really did make a world of difference. No... wait... it didn't.

Your whining made me decide not to check this out.

If you do more work on it, maybe I will download it. I still think its a bit of a stretch to get attention for an unfinished weapon mod (for edge mind you), especially if you never claimed any innovations, and you seem totally unsure about the worth of it. First you say you're proud of what you have so far, and then you're like "oh I don't know if I'll finish it." If you drew those sprites, I am proud of you too. Otherwise I don't see what the big deal is.

CeeJay said:

Wow! You're right! It really did make a world of difference. No... wait... it didn't.

You sure like whinning don't you? I'm sure that whinning will get way more people to comment on your work, won't it?

magicsofa said:

Your whining made me decide not to check this out.

If you do more work on it, maybe I will download it. I still think its a bit of a stretch to get attention for an unfinished weapon mod (for edge mind you), especially if you never claimed any innovations, and you seem totally unsure about the worth of it. First you say you're proud of what you have so far, and then you're like "oh I don't know if I'll finish it." If you drew those sprites, I am proud of you too. Otherwise I don't see what the big deal is.

Yes i am proud of my work but i lack inspiration, motivation and time to go on with it at this point. You know how it is.

Death-Destiny said:

You sure like whinning don't you? I'm sure that whinning will get way more people to comment on your work, won't it?

Not really. It's just frustrating how nobody appears to give a damn about a Doom related project. I mean, this is DOOMWORLD, isn't it? Christ, 10 years ago the replies would have been endless, is the Doom community fading out of existence?

On another note: Just what does everybody have against EDGE? I know some of the older versions really sucked but it's coming along very nicely now.

dutch devil said:

You can't demand replies you can only hope for it.

I'm not demanding, i just find it irritating that over a 100 users view my thread and only a couple reply (on the original thread). It makes me feel like i am doing something wrong or people just don't care. But fine, whatever. Play it or leave it.

It would be interesting to know how many people had actually downloaded it. I couldn't see anything on the Rapidshare site but I know some file sharing programs do give a downloads tally.

Personally, I like EDGE as a source port these days but I suspect that it is a bit of a "niche port" and a lot of people simply won't have it installed. As soon as they read that the mod is for EDGE, well that may be enough for quite a few visitors to the thread to not download the mod. If they don't download it, then they have little to comment on.

A shame really because it is quite a nicely put together little mod.

Enjay said:

It would be interesting to know how many people had actually downloaded it. I couldn't see anything on the Rapidshare site but I know some file sharing programs do give a downloads tally.

Personally, I like EDGE as a source port these days but I suspect that it is a bit of a "niche port" and a lot of people simply won't have it installed. As soon as they read that the mod is for EDGE, well that may be enough for quite a few visitors to the thread to not download the mod. If they don't download it, then they have little to comment on.

A shame really because it is quite a nicely put together little mod.

Thank you Enjay, you are too kind. Personally i think it is a bit of a mess. A lot of stuff ain't finished (i don't think i made pickups for everything if any).

BTW, i loved playing Enjay ZDoom back in the day (i take it you are the one and the same).

CeeJay said:

BTW, i loved playing Enjay ZDoom back in the day (i take it you are the one and the same).

Guilty as charged. And thank you. :)

kristus said:

A weapons mod made up by sprite rips? How original.

Well d'oh! What else would it be made up of? Lego blocks?

Legitly acquired lego blocks or ones stolen from the fat kid in 2nd grade?

myk said:

Legitly acquired lego blocks or ones stolen from the fat kid in 2nd grade?

Actualy i used to play Lego a lot when i was a child. I have a massive collection around here somewhere. But i was never the fat kid, though. Tall, skinny and bad to the bones is more like it (allthough i was a chubby baby).

Perhaps i could construct life-size weapons using lego and implement them into Doom. Would that be original enough for you, Kristus?

CeeJay said:

Yes i am proud of my work but i lack inspiration, motivation and time to go on with it at this point. You know how it is.

I certainly do. But then it seems silly to try and get people excited about it...

It's just frustrating how nobody appears to give a damn about a Doom related project. I mean, this is DOOMWORLD, isn't it? Christ, 10 years ago the replies would have been endless.

Ten years ago Doom and its community were at a very different stage of development. You'd also have to do this without edge :P

On another note: Just what does everybody have against EDGE? I know some of the older versions really sucked but it's coming along very nicely now.

I don't mind EDGE itself, and I've often thought about creating weapon mods because it makes it so damn easy. But that's the thing - there's already enough weapon mods to make your head spin. I would be more interested if you made a mapset using advanced EDGE features like 3d floors, which ALSO had new weapons and monsters and what have you. Making a weapons mod for edge is like making any vanilla doom map. We've seen it a million times, and its great if you want to do it, but don't expect much hubbub unless you're really pulling out something original.

magicsofa said:

... there's already enough weapon mods to make your head spin. I would be more interested if you made a mapset using advanced EDGE features like 3d floors, which ALSO had new weapons and monsters and what have you. Making a weapons mod for edge is like making any vanilla doom map. We've seen it a million times, and its great if you want to do it, but don't expect much hubbub unless you're really pulling out something original.

You are correct. But it features only weapons (and various special fx) at this point because that is all i have done so far on the project. I would love to see this with levels.

And besides, atleast 70-80% of the weapon mods out there are not very good. In fact, many of them are rubbish. Now i am not saying i can do better (this is why i wanted feedback), but i have a long-time experience in Doom editing (and i am bit of a perfectionist).

UPDATE 09/03:

Project has been resumed. The theme is sort of a urban average-joe type. You are a regular guy and pick up stuff around your neighbourhood. If i were to be succeful in acquiring some Zombie sprites/models (any ideas?) this could turn into a new Zombie TC.

Weapons to keep:
Kick
Baseball bat
Crowbar
Shovel
Machete (hell yeah!)
Glock
Spas-12
Scattergun
AK-47
M1 Garand
Hunting rifle
Spraycan + lighter (oh yeah!)
Flaregun
Stick o' Dynamite

Weapons to be scrapped:
Revolver (looks like crap!)
Tommy Gun
Silenced rifle (doesn't look too good!)
Crossbow

Weapons i am not sure about:
Colt M1911
UZI
MP5SD
Ripsaw (doesn't quite fit in)

Other additional weapons will probaly get added.

Some special effects:

Weapons that reload
Weapons that eject smoke when fired
Weapons that spit out used casings
Weapons that kick the player backwards
Melee weapons that eventually "break"
Flying gibs and debris
Weapons that occasionaly jam on you
And lots more.

How many times are we going to see these "weapon mods" where once again it's random weapon sprites from other games "with a lot of work put in" to get it all running. Nothing personal dude, but this shit is old and tired. It's no wonder not many people were interested.