Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Is there a tutorial on making vehicles?

KDiZD, Urban Brawl and P:AR had some pretty awesome vehicles in them. Of course, you couldn't drive them, but for my CChest4 map I have a garage that I'd like to have housing some kind of freight truck. It's situated outside a techbase that contains computers and nukage, so I'm not sure what uses it would have at such a locale, but are there any hints/tips/tuts on constructing a decent-looking vehicle?

My guesses for the texture usage are that it should have wheels or caterpillar treads (perhaps made with DOORTRAK), a few warning strips around the wheels, and headlights made from LITE5 or a similar texture - maybe even TLITE6_#. Perhaps one of the CEIL5_# flats would be appropriate for the inside (the seats for example).

But...I really don't know how to begin making it. I'm using Boom format so I won't be able to use slopes, though I don't really think this should make it THAT more difficult.

Anyone have do's and don't do's of making (unusable) vehicles?

Vehicles? Can't be done. :P

Yay for the exceptionally wide blue bus!

Half track wheels scanned from an Airfix kit box. :)

Those are just some prefabs I was working with until I moved over to models with GZdoom. Most of them use slopes but that isn't essential.

I don't remember where I got the original textures from or the basic template design. I copied it from somewhere. I've messed around with them all myself though.

Cool vehicles, Enjay.

Ok, how to make a generic car:

I was always too lazy to make custom textures, so I just made them hover cars. Or I made metal box covers over their wheels.

As for their bodies, SHAWN and METAL/STAR textures are your best friend. I also sometimes use TEKGREEN. Remember to make a front and rear end bumper, and make a different colored square patch in the front and back for the trunk and engine place. And then, for the main body, make the 2 end pieces (front engine and trunk) about 32 units off the ground. Then, make 3 more pieces in the middle, and elevate them about 48 to 56 units off the ground. Then the 2 parts around the middle part, make them slope to the trunk and front engine area.

Its a bit hard to describe making the body, but I hope you understand the way I explained it. I know it sounds really crappy, but its surprisingly simple, and it looks pretty good once you get the hang of it.

@:once again you caused me to drop my jaw,Bravo on the vehicles.I know to seasoned wad author's thats a small feat but it's more than I can do.
Do you have a new project under construction?

This is probably the best vehicle I've done:

Might wanna ask Duducrazy on Zdoom Forums,It looks like he has put the ship from Descent into his new mod.That might not be what you're looking for though.

Here are a few screenies of a truck from the Ksutra megawad. I don't remember what level it came off though.

http://img360.imageshack.us/my.php?image=truck4ly1.png
http://img149.imageshack.us/my.php?image=truck3ag0.png
http://img149.imageshack.us/my.php?image=truck2ge0.png
http://img149.imageshack.us/my.php?image=truck1bk3.png

There was a convertible red sports car and a red taxi on its side on level 29 of ksutra as well.

Just a thought seeing as I played through it not long ago.

@Haloless. That plane kinda reminds me of a WWII Corsair (I think.). The one with the bent wings they flew off carriers.

@Enjay. Those vehicles look great. Especially like the brown/tan battle tank in screenie 1, which unless I am mistaken reappears in screenie 3 off to the side. Very cool.

Enjay said:

Yay for the exceptionally wide blue bus...

...with the really tiny wheels. :p

I think I got the concept from one of the Old School Wing Commander Games.*sigh*that was a great game...other than X-wing that is.

Kyka said:

@Enjay. Those vehicles look great. Especially like the brown/tan battle tank in screenie 1, which unless I am mistaken reappears in screenie 3 off to the side. Very cool.

Thanks. The vehicles were something I just had sitting around "just in case". I made them one rainy afternoon. I just took a basic template design and tweaked and modified it a bit to make cars, trucks, trailers etc, and made recolours of the textures for a bit of variety too. Like I said, the original concept wasn't mine. I forget where I got that from, but they are my own interpretation of things. You may recognise the forklift because I put it into the Zdoom Community WAD.

As for the tank, the texture was made, IIRC, using a scan of some British army desert cammo. The big black block at the bottom looks a bit awful, but placed in an appropriately shaped landscape, you can disguise it quite well.

However, now that I've moved on to models, unless I'm doing something for a software engine, all those sector based tanks are a bit redundant. :/

Those are models by sitters, recoloured by me.

and those are from a Duke Nukem TC called "Duke Army", reconfigured by me to work in GZdoom.

Models are obviously the way to go - that's still a very impressive collection of sector-based vehicles.

Kyka said:

Here are a few screenies of a truck from the Ksutra megawad. I don't remember what level it came off though.

http://img360.imageshack.us/my.php?image=truck4ly1.png
http://img149.imageshack.us/my.php?image=truck1bk3.png

I like the way the wheels don't connect to anything. :D

[i]...with the really tiny wheels. [/B]

One size fits all.

I don't remember where I got the original textures from or the basic template design. I copied it from somewhere. I've messed around with them all myself though.

As for the tank, the texture was made, IIRC, using a scan of some British army desert cammo. The big black block at the bottom looks a bit awful, but placed in an appropriately shaped landscape, you can disguise it quite well.

Actually I made those tracks back in 2001. They were used in map15 of tvr.wad (aka Revolution!). Nowadays I would have done a better job though :-)

In that case, thank you. I've had great fun messing around with them. As you can probably see, I really only used the tracks part of the texture for all 3 variants (green/grey/brown) but originally I had been using your whole texture. The brown (as I said) and the green came from scans of British cammo and the grey is just a greyscaled version of the green IIRC.

Did you do the car ones as well? IIRC, they originally came from a WAD with a forklift but I adapted and added to them for the cars and trucks etc.

no, those don't look like mine.

I made vehicles for my new project (Harmony) as well. They look great, but I don't have any screenshots yet :-)