Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ultdoomer

Opening links in new tabs?

Would it be possible to make clicked-on links open in a new tab instead of the current one? It makes it easier to switch between browsing the forums and following the posted links.

I use Firefox, and I just right-click and choose "open in new tab". So far, I haven't found this to be particularly arduous.

You can configure Firefox to open links in new tabs, rather than windows.

Middle click does fine too.

I don't wanna click everything in order to clutter my browser. So leave it as it is NOW.

Coopersville said:

Middle-click doesn't work for you?

That works? I never knew that.

ultdoomer said:

Would it be possible to make clicked-on links open in a new tab instead of the current one? It makes it easier to switch between browsing the forums and following the posted links.

Easier for you maybe, but it would be a real pain in the ass for people like me who don't like tabbed browsing.

Wouldn't your browser have to support tabs...

ultdoomer, are you already using a browser that uses tabs? If not, get one, such as Firefox. If you are....well, I guess you're kinda dumb :P

printz said:

I don't wanna click everything in order to clutter my browser. So leave it as it is NOW.

Yes, but you don't use his browser.

And I don't think that tabbed browsing causes clutter. I think many, many windows do, however.

Most links should open in a new window/tab, not in the same tab. I've been using middle click for so long to avoid that problem of opening in the same window that I didn't notice that was default behavior on the forums.

Csonicgo said:

Yes, but you don't use his browser.

And I don't think that tabbed browsing causes clutter. I think many, many windows do, however.

I use a browser with TABS and by clutter I mean visual clutter. I'm one who wants tabbed browsing only BY DEMAND.

printz said:

I use a browser with TABS and by clutter I mean visual clutter. I'm one who wants tabbed browsing only BY DEMAND.

in that case I agree with you. No one should be able to force a tab.
I had no idea it was even possible to force a browser open a link in another tab. I knew opening a link in another window was possible... eh, probably a javascript command.

Most links that are set to open in a new window will open in a new tab if Tabbed browsing is enabled, in Firefox.

Enjay said:

Easier for you maybe, but it would be a real pain in the ass for people like me who don't like tabbed browsing.

Ask me about tabbed browsing.

In Firefox (at least the version I'm using) the right-click options are "open in a new window" and "open in a new tab". There is no "open in same tab" option. This means that if tab opening were the default here, it wouldn't be possible to open a link in the same tab, which might be convenient if one does not need the current page anymore.

Coopersville said:
Middle-click doesn't work for you?

Not if he uses a two-button mouse like I do.

There are tons of pages on the Internet with simple links anyway. I find it strange that someone might not be used to right-clicking links (or using the middle button, if that applies).

Csonicgo said:

I had no idea it was even possible to force a browser open a link in another tab. I knew opening a link in another window was possible... eh, probably a javascript command.

It's plain old-fashioned HTML. When creating a hyperlink - include the target="_blank" attribute. If the browser doesn't support tabs it will open a new window.

kristus said:

Ask me about tabbed browsing.

Some day, the "ASK ME ABOUT" joke is going to get old. I hope that that day is still years away.

Although a one line comment about tabbed browsing hardly compares with my "War and Peace" efforts on football, Steam, dead celebs, the Blair Witch... ;)

I've missed the ones about Football and the blair witch blargh. But those kind of speaks for themselves IMO. Though I am really, asking you about tabbed browsing. :p

Really? Oh well it's not big deal actually. It all stems from me being clumsy with my use of my browser.

I use IE and so never got used to tabbed browsing whilst everyone else was raving about it in FireFox. So, if I want a link to open in a new instance, I still right click and pick "open in a new window". I effectively use the task bar as my tabs.

Now that IE has tabbed browsing, 2 things happen.

The first, and normal situation, is that I simply forget about it.

The second is that, for whatever reason, I use it. Then, out of habit, when I go to close the site, I don't click on the close tab button, but rather the close program X in the top right corner. Again, this can have 2 results.

First, that I realise that I have a bunch of tabs open in the same window and have wasted time clicking the wrong button and getting an "are you sure" dialogue.

Second, even with the dialogue, I reflexively press "yes" instead of "no" and lose all the other sites that I wanted to keep open.

So, it's a PitA because I'm clumsy. ;)